Tell Me About Your Snowshoes

I love the BOA system for golf shoes, and wouldn't mind for flat land snowshoeing, but wouldn't trust it for mountain/rocky places. Way more force on bindings outside the boot than lacing of boot itself.

I love the BOA system for golf shoes, and wouldn't mind for flat land snowshoeing, but wouldn't trust it for mountain/rocky places. Way more force on bindings outside the boot than lacing of boot itself.
^bingo. Both times it broke was under normal use, but force as wel

I love this thread. I was about to type in the exact same title for a new thread, but this one will do just fine.

As you might expect, my shoes are 4.5' log Ash and rawhide Alaskans. In my geriatric years now, I am thinking that I might up the tech level a bit. Can't get over the shortness of modern shoes.

Dan, what are those shoes in the middle of your extraordinarily impressive collection?Gus 20130105 B.JPG

Last edited:
All I know is that my old Atlas Snowshoe bindings wore out and came apart, So this fall new really nice Tubbs were purchased.
Wouldn't you know it?! There's not enough snow at hunting and hiking places to even use snowshoes!
I bought replacement bindings for my Atlas 933's last year. About half the cost of a new pair.
My 933's could go in the 10 years and still rocking thread.

I love this thread. I was about to type in the exact same title for a new thread, but this one will do just fine.

As you might expect, my shoes are 4.5' log Ash and rawhide Alaskans. In my geriatric years now, I am thinking that I might up the tech level a bit. Can't get over the shortness of modern shoes.

Dan, what are those shoes in the middle of your extraordinarily impressive collection?View attachment 311695
Tubbs 36”, don’t recall model.

Dan, what are those shoes in the middle of your extraordinarily impressive collection?View attachment 311695
Wooden snowshoes for hunting. I have taken deer and caribou while hunting on snowshoes. They are quiet. The newer type are great for hiking, but too noisy to hunt from IMO.

Another vote for msr (lightning ascent).

I've got the 25" I believe, a set of tails that I don't like how they change the stride (vs the netlxt frame size-foot position and all) and 1 bad pin I replaced.

Outside of that, I find them to be gold

When I look at most modern shoes, they seem to have very little floation in front of the toe. Yet, when I face plant, it is mostly because my shoe's toe dove in deep, hooked under a crust or a branch, and it's all over 'cept the cryin'. These LL Bean shoes look to have a bit more toe and the Boa bindings.

I probably spent more time mulling over which snowshoes to get then I did on deciding what college to attend. Thanks all for chiming in with some advice.

Atlas wasn't really on my radar going into this, but while re-reading the thread this morning your guys' feedback got me checking out the Montanes. I think I'd have preferred a hinge for the binding connection over straps, and perhaps a more modern set-up than a tube frame, but they seem like a lot of bang for the buck. Especially when last years' model is on sale for $150. Thanks @SnowyMountaineer for bringing that to my attention.

I almost pulled the trigger on some MSR Lighting Ascents using some holiday gift card help. They look like the perfect shoe for just about anything you'd want to do with them. But they're quite a bit of money any way you cut it. Especially when the $150 Montanes look perfectly adequate.

Anyway, thanks again, guys! I'm looking forward to some low to medium stakes peak bagging once they arrive.

Buy once, cry once. Best words ever said. The older I get, the less stuff I want, but the better stuff I want.
And likely the more money you have and the fewer family responsibilities demanding a share -- aging gracefully is a nice way to go . . . .

Buy once, cry once. Best words ever said. The older I get, the less stuff I want, but the better stuff I want.
I typically subscribe to this mentality and buy quality for the long haul. I need to dip a toe in the snowshoe world before convincing myself I need the absolute premium product though. We’ve also got a load of kid stuff to start buying in the meantime, so I’ve become a bit more miserly when choosing things for myself.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Avidsomething
Back