Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Tell Me About Your Snowshoes

Beignet

What make and model do you guys use? What do you like/dislike about them?

Due for an upgrade from some ancient John Deere branded things I’ve got.

Primarily for backcountry use. Maybe some trail dinking too.

If you’re going to be in steeper terrain the MSR Lightning Ascent is the way to go. They have awesome traction, especially on side hills, the binding is very secure, there are heel elevators to reduce leg fatigue on steep ascents, and you can add tails for more floatation in deep powder. If you’ll be using them in rolling terrain any tubular style frame from the previously mentioned manufacturers should be adequate.

If you’re going to be in steeper terrain the MSR Lightning Ascent is the way to go.
Those look perfect, but man that price tag is hard to swallow. I’m looking at some other MSR options, but they don’t seem to stack up.

Are you using them for floating on top of untracked snow, or more for not post-holing on trails?
Mostly planning untracked backcountry, but was hoping for something that’d work on an occasional trail as well.

I personally hate snowshoeing, but have done it a lot for spring bears and last year quite a bit on a bison hunt. The occasional recreational outing when forced.

To me the biggest differences at the top end are binding preference and articulation on side hills. I am not gentle on mine and used a pair of MSR ascent’s for 10ish years. I still have them for a kid/loaner pair.

Historically my favorite biding design was the Atlas 10 and 12 series. For somewhat serious backcountry travel a binding that articulates makes a huge difference. The newer Atlas are good in that department as well, better than even the lightning ascent IMO.

I like a boa tightening system but it’s not for everyone. For a decent budget option you might look at the Atlas Montane on their site, on sale for $150.

Also, snowshoe weight ratings are pretty much worthless, there are just too many variables. For fresh untracked snow, most people will need at least a 30” to get around well.

My two cents.

I have several pairs of Yukon Charlie's from when my boys were in the boy scouts. Still use and loan them out to this day and they are pretty affordable.

I have a few different kinds, but prefer the Garneau Versants by a wide margin. The BOA binding is what makes them better than the others I have, but also like the heel lift for going up steeper terrain. It seems to have better grip than the one other pair I have with heel lift. Had them out today, so here’s a pic

.IMG_1518.jpeg

If you are any where near 230lbs+ I'd highly suggest giving a look at the Atlas Montane 35. They are extremely durable and have great flotation. My weight with a pack on is 310lbs+ and they handle it just fine, I've even stepped on branches and fallen tree and they took zero damage.

I personally hate snowshoeing, but have done it a lot for spring bears and last year quite a bit on a bison hunt. The occasional recreational outing when forced.

To me the biggest differences at the top end are binding preference and articulation on side hills. I am not gentle on mine and used a pair of MSR ascent’s for 10ish years. I still have them for a kid/loaner pair.

Historically my favorite biding design was the Atlas 10 and 12 series. For somewhat serious backcountry travel a binding that articulates makes a huge difference. The newer Atlas are good in that department as well, better than even the lightning ascent IMO.

I like a boa tightening system but it’s not for everyone. For a decent budget option you might look at the Atlas Montane on their site, on sale for $150.

Also, snowshoe weight ratings are pretty much worthless, there are just too many variables. For fresh untracked snow, most people will need at least a 30” to get around well.

My two cents.
I’ve snapped the BOA system on my atlas’ twice. I’m glad they ditched that system

I’ve snapped the BOA system on my atlas’ twice. I’m glad they ditched that system
Well they didn’t ditch it overall at least because my current atlas Range-mtn have it 🙂. Though maybe they should have. That sucks, which model out of curiosity?

Well they didn’t ditch it overall at least because my current atlas Range-mtn have it 🙂. Though maybe they should have. That sucks, which model out of curiosity?
You’re right they didn’t ditch it, I misspoke. I broke the left one in 2020 on a pair of Atlas Stratus (2018) and the right one a few weeks ago. I finally just bought new atlas and said the hell with it

I’ve only ever used my pair of MSR evo ascents. Had them a long time. They’ve been plenty good for me. Mostly used on early season peak bagging trips with spring snow.

Used them plenty on jovial foothills galavants with friends or family as well.

They seem to check the boxes just fine for my needs. Are holding up well too, I think they are another item that should’ve been mentioned in the 10 years and still working thread.

There was one hunt I really needed them and decided to leave them in the truck for dumb reasons.

You’re right they didn’t ditch it, I misspoke. I broke the left one in 2020 on a pair of Atlas Stratus (2018) and the right one a few weeks ago. I finally just bought new atlas and said the hell with it
I’m going to hope mine have a different mechanism, and try not to think about it. Ha

What part broke? Sorry for the interrogation.

All I know is that my old Atlas Snowshoe bindings wore out and came apart, So this fall new really nice Tubbs were purchased.
Wouldn't you know it?! There's not enough snow at hunting and hiking places to even use snowshoes!

Back