Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

My daughter needs warmer gloves!

When I cross country skied the lobster gloves were very popular. More movement than mittens but still able to help keep you a little warmer.
IMG_3428.jpeg

And if money is no object, a pair of beaver outside rabbit/mink inside mitten are hard to beat. Waterproof and warm

I ride motorcycles. It taught me a lot about understanding physiology in cold, high wind, wet and cold environments.

I cannot comment on your daughter…I wasn’t there. I don‘t know if she has any physical conditions. I can only pass on what worked to stay warm when conditions are less…optimal.

The simple, bottom line is that the body will restrict blood flow to the extremities (hands, feet) first, above all else, to protect the brain and the core.

By corollary if you OVER heat the Core, the body pushes heat to the extremities to try to stay cooler.

First is the Head and Neck. Proper headwear (sitting in a blind I’ll wear two beanies, one on top of the other)…proper neck wear (it was NE Kanada…Newfoundland…30mph side winds…I used two neck tubes, one in the other to achieve the ultimate “double babushka“ method)…if you can’t seal and keep the head warm…well, fughedaboutit.

Second is the Core. Gotta keep the chest warm. Underlayer, shirt, vest, jacket…maybe a shell if It‘s wet or windy.

Third is…you gotta keep moving or figure out a secondary heat source. The body can only produce BTU’s when it’s burning energy. If you sit still long enough, you WILL get cold. The body just slows down. That’s how it works. And as your heartrate slows…so does blood Flow to the extremities.

so either one moves around (to accelerate flow) or one needs to add an external heat source.

Decades of being trapped in a confined position (motorcycles) in truly variable weather (I generally call it at freezing, due to road conditions…but I have see 19 on a bike at 85 mph…and that will expose any and every flaw in the armor, guaranteed)…I’ve learned I need an external heat source after sitting still for about 90 Minutes. my body simply doesn’t generate the heat I need to stop shivering.

my answer was an electric 7.4v vest. I generally hit the switch about 90m into a sit. I start at High to feel it…drop to low. My battery pack is good for hours…I can get a full morning sit on high/medium if I really need it.

That added external heat source under my layers makes me smile.

Heated gloves are nice - really nice (I have them for my MC)…but they simply don’t work enough if I can’t keep my core and head/neck protected first.

Kinda like weight loss…it’s BTU’s generated vs. BTU’s lost. One has to exceed the other.

I shot a muley when it was negative 16 with a 10 mph wind. Hands felt like rocks after I got done taking the meat out and bagging it and strapping it my pack . Put these on and somehow my hands were toasty. I also use these blazing the ATV across the lake ice fishing .

I haven't used this specific item but the approach is sound (I have done before with ace bandage). Put the hot hands on the bottom of her wrist to heat the blood on it's way into the hand. Less bulky on the hand itself and will warm up dramatically. Again, not sure about this product but thought it might help understand the "how"

I am looking for some recommendations for truly warm ski gloves/mitts system for my 14yo daughter who gets icy red/numb hands even at 40 degrees wearing what I think are decent insulated gloves or mittens (currently in the $30-$40 price range). She is very thin, with petite wrists and long fingers, and her hands just can’t withstand much. Otherwise, she is plenty tough and actually runs warm, often wanting to shed insulated jacket or other top layer lest she overheats. We have tried stretchy inserts, and bulky heat packs (heat works but is annoying) and at this point I am more than willing to try a major upgrade to better gloves than I would ever normally consider for myself if they truly are warm enough for her. So from $40 to “money is no object” what should I do?
A good muff with hothands and I usually run doubles up Jerseys. I have the cabelas muff. I just got done hunting in -16. You can also get deer skin mittens and a thinner pair for shooting

I haven't used this specific item but the approach is sound (I have done before with ace bandage). Put the hot hands on the bottom of her wrist to heat the blood on it's way into the hand. Less bulky on the hand itself and will warm up dramatically. Again, not sure about this product but thought it might help understand the "how"

I was already thinking about sewing an elastic cuff pocket into a mitten to place a heat pack against her wrist veins. Of course somebody thought of it already! Logically, these should work, at least a little.

I was already thinking about sewing an elastic cuff pocket into a mitten to place a heat pack against her wrist veins. Of course somebody thought of it already! Logically, these should work, at least a little.
I used to spend some time helping a business incubator and we had a guy come through that developed synthetic underlayers with pockets for hand warmers at high blood flow areas and it absolutely worked. Good luck on getting her hands warm!

I am looking for some recommendations for truly warm ski gloves/mitts system for my 14yo daughter who gets icy red/numb hands even at 40 degrees wearing what I think are decent insulated gloves or mittens (currently in the $30-$40 price range). She is very thin, with petite wrists and long fingers, and her hands just can’t withstand much. Otherwise, she is plenty tough and actually runs warm, often wanting to shed insulated jacket or other top layer lest she overheats. We have tried stretchy inserts, and bulky heat packs (heat works but is annoying) and at this point I am more than willing to try a major upgrade to better gloves than I would ever normally consider for myself if they truly are warm enough for her. So from $40 to “money is no object” what should I do?
Costco fieldsheer!!!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back