Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

My daughter needs warmer gloves!

Bullshot

I am looking for some recommendations for truly warm ski gloves/mitts system for my 14yo daughter who gets icy red/numb hands even at 40 degrees wearing what I think are decent insulated gloves or mittens (currently in the $30-$40 price range). She is very thin, with petite wrists and long fingers, and her hands just can’t withstand much. Otherwise, she is plenty tough and actually runs warm, often wanting to shed insulated jacket or other top layer lest she overheats. We have tried stretchy inserts, and bulky heat packs (heat works but is annoying) and at this point I am more than willing to try a major upgrade to better gloves than I would ever normally consider for myself if they truly are warm enough for her. So from $40 to “money is no object” what should I do?

Mittens will work best. Using smaller heat packs (they last about 6 hours) instead of the big bulky ones might work and be less bulky. I found the foot warmers are smaller (to fit into shoes) and use them in my gloves. It seems no matter what gloves I get, eventually my hands get cold unless I use the disposable hand warmers. Just the nature of hands in gloves where the fingers are isolated instead of mittens where the fingers aren't separated and surrounded by cold. I found that mittens aren't real great for hunting but for skiing are the best for warm hands.

Maybe discuss Raynoud's Phenomenon with her doctor. Don't read the scary stuff. It comes in 2 types. Most just have cold hands with color changes.

Maybe discuss Raynoud's Phenomenon with her doctor. Don't read the scary stuff. It comes in 2 types. Most just have cold hands with color changes.

This…or at least see a doctor…that does not seem normal.

Leather mittens with wool inserts and small hot hands if needed. A hand muff might work also.

Last edited:
Mittens. Lots of good choices made for skiing and mountaineering. Or, the leather choppers and wool inserts work well too.

I really like the kinco 901t mittens for my kids. I warm them up in the oven and waterproof with sno-seal. I buy them big enough to slide a hot hands in but we've never really had to do that. If it's really cold I'll have them wear a cheap pair of spandexy liner gloves from Costco (head brand I think).

Oh, and they are relatively cheap.

Never heard of that til now. Growing up super skinny kid my hands were always purple and freezing. Might be something to that.

The heated gloves are nice while the batteries last. I have taught my kids to use a thinner pair of wool gloves under insulated leather work gloves or mittens.

Outdoor Research makes Firebrand mitts that retail for something like $400. They also have/had an extreme cold weather clothing contract with DOD for those same mittens. If you search for “OR ECW Mitts” you can get the surplus version for like $80. Make sure to read the fine print and that liners are included.

Outdoor Research makes Firebrand mitts that retail for something like $400. They also have/had an extreme cold weather clothing contract with DOD for those same mittens. If you search for “OR ECW Mitts” you can get the surplus version for like $80. Make sure to read the fine print and that liners are included.
A sucker is born every minute. I'm always looking for warmer mittens/gloves. I have way too many already but I'm intrigued. Ordering some off Amazon for $75.

I use ECW mittens. I think the "trigger finger" ones are less effective. They all fit roomy enough that you can easily make a fist inside the mitt. Easy to get warmers between the wool liner and the shell.

You might look at the Refrigiwear website for choppers. The best place I've seen chopper mittens for less that $40.

The ECW mittens are great but a bit bulky. I use moosehide choppers with wool inserts because they are easier to manipulate. With hand warmers (I use the Grabber brand, MUCH more dependable and longer lasting than Hot Hands) I have used them to -20f and been toasty while sitting.

Appreciate the comments, I’ll look into all that have been mentioned so far or any additional brands people have had luck with and mention. Regarding medical cause of cold hands, I won’t lie, I’ve been keeping my eye on things for any clues. Yes occasionally she does the pins and needles or numbness thing (who hasn’t) but I don’t see any patterns or anything real concerning. I have been saying “you seem to have poor circulation in your hands” but really only in response to her getting cold in conditions I don’t think really warrant it for me. I just don’t see a cause for too much medical concern. As I said, she has tiny wrists, and slim arms, and basically I think she just can’t keep the blood going to her fingers warm enough, just not enough mass / too easy to radiate heat away. So either she needs to bulk up (lol) or I need to insulate her from the elbow down better. Sounds like some oversize premium mittens with enough space to wear an insert and to fit in a heat pack will probably do it. If it gets too cold for THAT, well, my cheaply gloved fingers will probably be warning me by then too.

After I was put on blood thinners, my hands started getting cold when they never did before. Tried a few different options that didn’t help much, but finally landed on Hestra heated gloves. They’re not cheap ($425 retail), but my neighbor worked for an outdoor retailer and got them at “cost” for $280. Still not cheap, but they do the trick. The battery will last all day on the lowest setting, most of the day on medium, and about 3 hrs on high.

Just ordered a pair off of eBay for my wife. Hopefully they’ll keep her hands warm. Thanks for the tip!

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back