MTNTOUGH - Randy

MTHunter1321

I’ve enjoyed seeing the Instagram posts the past couple of days on MTNTOUGH of Randy starting his fitness program. I know I probably felt and looked similar when I started out too! Keep it up though!

Are you able to share what the hunt is that you’re training for?

I’ve enjoyed seeing the Instagram posts the past couple of days on MTNTOUGH of Randy starting his fitness program. I know I probably felt and looked similar when I started out too! Keep it up though!

I was curious what hunt it was for also

This was my toughest hunting year ever, thanks to a serious arm injury. And the hunts this year were below the normal physical demands. I was in PT until late August and under a limited regimen until then.

While driving home from the Yukon, I felt how bad I was sucking while climbing those mountains. It got me thinking about my statement to Kim that I would hunt elk until I was 65. Now, that's only six years off. No way I'm pulling the plug.

It became obvious that a 59 year-old desk jockey with a permanently impaired arm, two bad AC shoulder joints, and a bum liver cannot continue to ignore the realities of Father Time. I decided I could head out to pasture or after the seasons ended I could make an investment in what I wanted out of hunting.

I've always just relied on hiking as my fitness. It was OK and worked, less so as I've gotten older. I've been on a low-protein diet for my liver condition since 2005. I'm allowed 40 grams per day (though I'm not very disciplined ). Muscle atrophy starts to accelerate at age 40. Add in a low-protein diet and I feel like the Pee Wee Herman of the elk hunting world. Due to a carb-heavy diet, I'm hungry all the time. That diet can't be changed without some serious liver complications, so I'd better look for other improvements.

Point being, those realities are there, and those realties require an investment in my hunting future. I've pulled the stake from age 65 and I'm planting it to age 80. Hell, I likely won't even live that long. But, hunting means too much to me. I've invested a lot of my adult life in hunting and the resources essential to that endeavor. I want to continue to be a useful advocate and that requires that I be connected through hunting as hard as I can.

So, I've decided it's time to invest an hour or so each day in something I love. Hopefully it will provide other health benefits. Mostly, I don't have any retirement plans. I quit the CPA firm to focus on things most important to me, not to go sit on the beach or spend winters in Florida playing shuffleboard. The remainder of my time and money is going to be invested in doing what I love. If I can't invest an hour each day in the health that will keep me doing that, then my priorities are messed up.

Seems stupid that I needed an arm injury and a realization as to Father Time's slow erosion that got me to this point. But, that is where I'm at. They asked if they could share some of this. I'm happy to do that if it gets a few other 50+ desk jockeys to realize that a small daily investment in their health and fitness could pay huge dividends for their future hunting possibilities.

I've known Dustin and the MTN TOUGH guys for quite a while. Their office is right across the road from our office. If I'm going to work on losing a few pounds, gaining back a bit of strength and finding ways to keep hunting with my arm frustrations, they have a customized plan that will allow me to do that with my hectic travel schedule. Once I'm done with the "onboarding" the workouts will all be at my house, at a hotel room, or some off-site location. That is more my style, as being a gym rat is not in my plans.

My crew showed me some IG posts MTN TOUGH made. I suspect people saw that and said, "If that guy can kill an elk, anyone can do it."

This was my toughest hunting year ever, thanks to a serious arm injury. And the hunts this year were below the normal physical demands. I was in PT until late August and under a limited regimen until then.

While driving home from the Yukon, I felt how bad I was sucking while climbing those mountains. It got me thinking about my statement to Kim that I would hunt elk until I was 65. Now, that's only six years off. No way I'm pulling the plug.

It became obvious that a 59 year-old desk jockey with a permanently impaired arm, two bad AC shoulder joints, and a bum liver cannot continue to ignore the realities of Father Time. I decided I could head out to pasture or I could make an investment in what I wanted out of hunting.

I've always just relied on hiking as my fitness. It was OK and worked, less so as I've gotten older. I've been on a low-protein diet for my liver condition since 2005. I'm allowed 40 grams per day. Muscle atrophy starts to accelerate at age 40. Add in a low-protein diet and I feel like the Pee Wee Herman of the elk hunting world. Due to a carb-heavy diet, I'm hungry all the time. That diet can't be changed without some serious liver complications, so I'd better look for other improvements.

Point being, those realities are there, and those realties require an investment in my hunting future. I've pulled the stake from age 65 and I'm planting it to age 80. Hell, I likely won't even live that long. But, hunting means too much to me. I've invested a lot of my adult life in hunting and the resources essential to that endeavor. I want to continue to be a useful advocate and that requires that I be connected through hunting as hard as I can.

So, I've decided it's time to invest an hour or so each day in something I love. Hopefully it will provide other health benefits. Mostly, I don't have any retirement plans. I quit the CPA firm to focus on things most important to me, not to go sit on the beach or spend winters in Florida playing shuffleboard. The remainder of my time and money is going to be invested in doing what I love. If I can't invest an hour each day in the health that will keep me doing that, then my priorities are messed up.

Seems stupid that I needed an arm injury and a realization as to Father Time's slow erosion that got me to this point. But, that is where I'm at. They asked if they could share some of this. I'm happy to do that if it gets a few other 50+ desk jockeys to realize that a small daily investment in their health and fitness could pay huge dividends for their future hunting possibilities.

I've known Dustin and the MTN TOUGH guys for quite a while. Their office is right across the road from our office. If I'm going to work on losing a few pounds, gaining back a bit of strength and finding ways to keep hunting with my arm frustrations, they have a customized plan that will allow me to do that with my hectic travel schedule. Once I'm done with the "onboarding" the workouts will all be at my house, at a hotel room, or some off-site location. That is more my style, as being a gym rat is not in my plans.

My crew showed me some IG posts MTN TOUGH made. I suspect people saw that and said, "If that guy can kill and elk, anyone can do it."
Say bye bye to DQ. 😂 Great work putting your health #1, Randy!

Good luck, boss! The low protein diet has to be hard. I have the opposite here trying to heal the wife's wound. High protein and now low carb from some weight gain and not being able to exercise. You're only as old as you feel!

Great to hear Randy. I think you’ll be amazed at what you’ll accomplish and how you will start to feel especially once hunting season rolls back around. I recommitted to working out regularly last February and this fall was the best I’ve felt in quite a few years. I’m excited to build on what I’ve done so far and see how much better it can be come September 2024. I’m sure you’ll inspire more than a few desk jockey’s to make the investment in their health as well!

It became obvious that a 59 year-old desk jockey with a permanently impaired arm, two bad AC shoulder joints, and a bum liver cannot continue to ignore the realities of Father Time. I decided I could head out to pasture or after the seasons ended I could make an investment in what I wanted out of hunting.

I've always just relied on hiking as my fitness. It was OK and worked, less so as I've gotten older. I've been on a low-protein diet for my liver condition since 2005. I'm allowed 40 grams per day (though I'm not very disciplined ). Muscle atrophy starts to accelerate at age 40. Add in a low-protein diet and I feel like the Pee Wee Herman of the elk hunting world. Due to a carb-heavy diet, I'm hungry all the time. That diet can't be changed without some serious liver complications, so I'd better look for other improvements.

My crew showed me some IG posts MTN TOUGH made. I suspect people saw that and said, "If that guy can kill an elk, anyone can do it."
My future father in law is knocking on the door of 65 with his fair share of injuries and still goes out and kills public land 6 points in Montana almost every fall. He has done some impressive packouts in the last few years. It definitely lights a fire under me to not be a wimp when I’m feeling beat down in the mountains. Good for you.

Now if we see you sporting a flat brim, tatted and roided up next year, you might have to alter your target demographic a little. Elk blood energy drinks all around.

Fantastic work! But don't restrict the secret to 50+ desk jockeys. This message needs to be heard way back in their 20's. One hour a day is pretty easy to get in when you factor the amount of phone scrolling that happens.

Yeah I hear ya, about getting oller n still being able to get out. My passion for the outdoors is as big as yours Randy. A fellow needs to realize that you can never give up. My beautiful wife let me built a remote cabin that I can base out of. So I can continue to get out. And I also do my best to hold up my end and keep my busted up ol body going. Just gotta make sure that you keep your mind in the game tooooo.

Go Randy!

Any possibility you can do low protein and carbs and get most of your calories from fats?
That’s what I do when I’m not pushing it out in the hills, plus as much wild game as the doctors allow and my body can tolerate. While burning calories like the last week while Coues hunting, I have to take in a lot of protein and then use every third or fourth day to rest/hydrate/medicate.

I rarely listen to podcasts. Usually when it’s somebody I know, have time or interest in hearing. Did listen to my first mtntough. Worth a listen in my opinion, especially if you know Randy. Great perspective on life appreciation and priorities.

Big Fin's atitude, dedication, and stellar example clearly motivates any and all who tune into his excellent video hunting stories and to this forum.
Big Fin inspires me to attempt to ignore my chronoligically challenged recent 79th birthday. 2020 year of broken knee has slowed me to a more "balanced" pace, which has helped to recognize more fully the nature and wildlife around me. The real blessing is a wife, life partner, and hiking mate who drags me to the hills regularly and most enjoys carrying food, water, and shelter on our backs to remote and wonderous backcountry places. Her exercise and hiking routines keep us moving ... and continuously focused on the mantra, "age is only an attitude!" We aspire to hike and backpack into nine decades of walking this ground. Passion for hunting of course is at the root of motivation for me ... especially keeping up on the hunt to be there with grandkids as they realize gratification and success in hunting and putting wild game on the table. That pretty much sums it up.
This HT forum in reading and appreciating such as expressed by Big Fin above, as well as the positive inspirational responses, perks my attitude each time I tune in for a good read.

Randy has a sheep hunt in the McKenzie mtns in 2024

At 64, I've almost reached Randy's previous red-line limit for elk hunting but I did do a Wyoming elk hunt and a Utah bighorn hunt last fall. I can't say they were as easy as when I was three decades younger, but I was pleasantly surprised I could do them without TOO MUCH discomfort. Time is definitely a one-way street, but I guess we get to choose our speed limits and what vehicles we drive (don't know why I went with an automobile analogy - maybe because I tend to drive vehicles well into their senior status as well). Until recently, my exercise program was much like Randy's - hiking both in season and out, except with some weekly basketball and pickleball thrown in, and, yes, the latter can be an active sport, but my wife has mandated that we both need to be more conscientious of our diet and more consistent with core exercises. So, hopefully, I can continue to hunt the high and low country until Randy's new age limit and maybe beyond.

I really appreciate Big Fin's willingness to put it out there for us all to help add that little bit of extra motivation to our own well-being. Good luck, Randy, and keep at it!

Took the last two weeks off from my personal workout routine, come Wednesday January 3rd will be back in the gym 3x's per week for the duration 2024. The hourly workouts provide a break in my routine, one can do only so much yardwork, fruit tree pruning, & raised bed gardening. Grandson & I were back out in the desert after Christmas javelina scouting for his upcoming rifle youth hunt in January. We logged 20 miles hiking over 3 days. Found some fresh sign, had a great time. Know I wouldn't be able to keep up with the kid with the workouts....

thank you for this! I am 54 and not "out of shape" because round is a shape.... but I watch Freshtracks and other shows and thing holy hell why cant I do that... so I had begun a cardio workout to improve my stamina..... but I saw several MTNTOUGH mentions and posts... I started their 14 day trial and when I saw they had the ramp up series I was hooked. I travel a lot between CA, OR, NV and ID... having a no equipment work out I can track is worth its weight in pronghorn!

I hear ya. I retired as a desk jockey almost 10 years ago. I'm a CFA, and retired corporate bond portfolio manager. Got my first Elk Oct 24 2022 about 90 miles from you in the Little Belts. God, Montana is beautiful. Wished I had taken a horse. So, when I got back to Florida, I bought 16-hand Butter Bean, a stout quarter horse bred on the four 6s ranch. 5 days after I bought him, he reared up, I lost my balance, fell back and landed on my back. I broke my back, one vertebrae in 4 pieces. Thank God I had a 33 yr old neurosurgeon who was a highly talented gift from God. I'm seriously diabetic. But as anything in life, (at 69 now) I was determined not to hamper me. Did all the rehab diligently, I was progressing great. Back to riding my bike and walking. Then in Sept I got rear ended at a red light! Another set back. More rehab, and I'm back to walking. Will try bike riding this week. My feet have serious arthritis and neuropathy. I've had to adapt. I'm going to hunt Elk next Fall. I've got an outfitter to carry out those big suckers. Keep going is my advice. Don't ever feel sorry for my sorry ass. I've had a very gifted life. There are no obstacles I can't overcome. I've had 2 friends with cancer die a horrible death in the past 2 years. And 3 others in treatment. You can't outrun the grim reaper. So, I hope to see ya in October up in White Sulphur Springs. I'll be huffin' and puffin' ( hey, I live at a friggin' altitude of 7'; did I stutter?). I wanna get my first mule deer, all at 70! Hope I get to meet ya!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back