When It's Time To Say Goodbye.

My condolences to you Charles. Time with our dogs is way too short, I hate these threads as well. I can remember your pics going into the Bob with your sled and your Backcountry buddy. RIP.

What a grand adventure he helped you live. All of us here send out condolences and love, Charles.

You did the right thing.

“The better I get to know men, the more I find myself loving dogs.”

“Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole.”

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.”

Some of my favorite quotes about dogs. I hope they bring you a little comfort.

So sorry to hear this. I’ve been in your shoes too many times.

Dogs are evidence that there is a God. Their longevity is evidence God is either a cruel one, or one that requires the human to sit up and pay attention to every moment for these snippets called canine life are painfully fleeting and gloriously spectacular. Magic.
—Tom Reed pg 46 January 2022 Wyoming Wildlife.

We lost a family pet to a vehicle. I remember dad saying to all of us kids, "Heaven they say is a perfect place, no place can be perfect without dogs."
Sorry for your buddy sir.

He looks like he had one heck of an adventurous life with you and I hope you can find comfort in that during this hard time. They teach us quite a few lessons about love and as hard as goodbye is, our lives wouldn't be the same without them. I'm so sorry.

I had one dog that I wouldn't consider the best of my dogs. Still needed a private moment when I took him in for the last time.
It's no fun.

That’s a good boy. Nothing more authentic than a dog joining you on a backcountry hunt. So sorry.

Thanks everyone. A couple occasions yestreday, I read through this thread. In the company of those who have a grasp of the individual/family bond - your comments were/are valuable. Thanks.

@Elkoholic Hah! You brought back a series of great "Scout" memories. One trek's video - "Scout deploys tactical trail poop strip..." His way of saying I was nuts to repeat dragging my sled into the Bob Wilderness.
Went back to my old computer and transfered it to YouTube to share here (Unlisted - available only from this link).

My body aches watching though Scout, he's a trooper! On one of those treks, he saved my arse from sleep stumbling into a griz while packing back home due to a family emergency @ 1am or so...

A good chuckle at the right time. Thanks. - Appreciate everyone's comments and sentimental nods (Thumbs / Sad icons).

Last edited:
I was never allowed my own dog when I was a kid. As soon as I was done with schooling and gainfully employed I bought a golden retriever. That dog was everything too me. Before kids etc. The day I had to put him down was soul crushing. Hell I still miss him three dogs later. Sorry Sytes. Man it’s sucks.

So very sorry for your loss. You gave him a great life and he returned the favor. Bless you for doing for him everything you could.

Sorry, nothing tougher in life then watching your loved one wither away. Focus on ALL the great memories!

PS: I remember commenting on your "Bob" sled adventure when you first posted it.....R.I.P. to your life's adventure partner.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back