Yeti GOBOX Collection

When is it time to put a dog down?

When they were a lot of pain all the time is when I put them down. I always missed them but always knew I would out live them. I never had trouble with it when the time came.

You'll know the time , my son lamented these last few months putting down Dog his black lab 2 weeks ago. . It's hard. Sometimes it best to have a friend take the dog.

When dog goes to be alone in the house! It’s a sign the end is near. Like a closet. Yes we loved and love our dogs. My lab is part of the family. Sad thing about owning a dog is the short lifespan. I hope someday again I can meet my best friends.IMG_0423.jpeg

Last edited:
When i was a kid most people let non hunting dogs run lose. When they got close to death they would leave and never be seen again.

I can feel in my stomach the weight on your shoulders right now. I've never waited till the last moment. I've always felt the pups quality of life was well gone by that time.
I don't envy you brother but you'll do well for Rigby.

I think I've really screwed up putting a couple down. Problem is I'm always wanting one more day. Lost my Sis in march . Got her to the vet sunday morning early and he mentioned quality of life but letting go is really really hard for me. He called monday morning to tell me she'd passed. I think what happened is he put her down after I was gone and I think that would have been the right thing to do! Couple other dog's I simply waited to long and had to put them down myself, Don't wait to long!

You do it before she stops enjoying the little things. You do it because things have gotten bad enough that you don't want to see them get any worse.

Dogs are great, but they just don't live as long as we do. Part of being a good dog owner is knowing when the time has come to spare your animal of further suffering. It's coming. It's going to happen. This next part is going to hurt, but as the responsible human it's up to you to manage it.

He perked up a little yesterday. Friday and Saturday were both very damp and rainy. I think that may have had his arthritis flared up. I'm still going to make plans. He's getting around a little better and eating a little, but man he just looks so weak and tired and old. I'm sure it won't be long but we're hoping to at least get through this week. The girls have finals, I really don't want them too distracted. This is going to crush us all.

When it comes to major medical issues, I have a level of expense I'm willing to go to to assure a better quality of life and extension of life.
When the medical procedure will not improve the quality of life, exceeds the "co-pay", is marginal in the extension of life, then we make the lethal decision.

I've put down horses and dogs earlier than many others would have, but I knew they were not going to have any days better down the road, from a pain and wellness perspective. I'd rather be a week too early, than a moment too late.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sea Rover
Back