Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

When is it time to put a dog down?

Brian in Montana

We've got this poor old boxer named Rigby. He's 13, which is awful old for the breed, been our great camping and hiking companion for a long time. My oldest daughter can remember when we adopted him, but my other 2 kids can't remember a time he wasn't around. They've grown up with him. And for my part, I'd have to say he is the best dog I ever had.

Anyway, he's badly stove up with arthritis and has had 2 cancerous tumors removed in the past few years, so there might be some cancer going on too. He's been in pretty rough shape for a while, but it seems like the night before last he took a noticeable turn for the worse. Don't know what happened, but starting yesterday morning he can hardly walk, will barely eat, just lays around and trembles. He's obviously failing, but the hardest part is that besides all the lethargy and physical problems, he's still the same good-natured old dog he's always been.

The only time I've ever been a part of a dog being put down the situation was very obvious. In that case, she'd had a heart attack or something and could do nothing but lay on her side and pant heavily. Rigby is different. His personality is intact, but he's just seems so weak he can hardly do anything for himself.

When is time? I know it's coming, but I sure don't want to do it.

I don’t have an answer because I think that’s between you and Rigby, but damn I’m sorry for all of you. Likely if you want to carry the burden instead of him it may be time. My guess is you’ll know in the next few days if he doesn’t perk up. Sounds like you’ve given him one heck of a life, find your peace in that.

When they either don't want to or can't go anymore.

Or the distress has destroyed their quality of life. If you don't think he's going to improve for a bit it's close. When the bad days outweigh the good days...

But all of it is an individual judgement. It's terribly difficult.

Sorry to hear it. With my 14 year old golden I just knew. I could see it in his eyes. The way he looked at me when I helped him up the stairs or he accidentally pooped in the house because he became incontinent. His quality of life was not good. It is definitely a hard decision.

Last edited:
I’ve been through this a few times and the next time is right around the corner and he’s watching me type this…which is heartbreaking.

That being said, I have a great relationship with my vet and she always helps us make the decision. We count her vote as one of the family’s vote.

My answer is pain. I don’t care if they are messing in the house. Can’t jump or run or whatever. As long as they still enjoy my company and aren’t in severe or constant pain, I make a spot for them in our home.

My current guy is 18 (almost 19) and has lived a great life. He has lost about 50% use of his back legs due to IVDD and can’t manage stairs any more. We have to carry him in and out 4 times a day for scheduled potty breaks and even then we have some accidents but he’s a gentlemen about it.

My vet assured me he is in no pain. So as long as he’s in the fight I’ll fight with him. He’s worth carrying in and out and a few messes.

That being said, the moment he’s in pain, I’ll carry him one last time to the vet.

You just know. My Otis was having lots of trouble moving around, inconstinence, and just had a different demeanor. But I had battled with the same questions myself for around a year. When will I know? How can I be sure I'm doing the right thing? I'm seeing signs that time was coming but...that's not always black and white and you're obviously biased.

But when it hit me, there was no doubt. I knew I had to do it for him. He gave me 14 years of the best damn dog I could've ever asked for.

Like others have said, it’s a crap decision to make. We got to that point with Moses when his health took a bad turn. As much as I hated to loose him, it was worse seeing him suffer. As soon as you see him suffer or feel more than just normal aches and pains for an old dog, it’s time.

My pup is curled up at my feet right now as I type this Brian so I'm sending you good doggo vibes and hope Rigby is not in too much pain.

My dad just put his dog down that had been with my step brother and sisters for the last 15 years of their lives. He said this was expensive but worth it: http://www.lapoflove.com/

In tears he told me how the kids were all holding and petting Hanna as she went and it was one of the best decisions they've made versus having the dog already old and shaky being put down at the scary vet.

I realize something like this is a luxury but the image of my step siblings all holding little old Hanna as she went I think was special for my dad and stepmom who are going to miss that goofy little white dog.

The first time I took my pup in, I chickened out and it turned into a discussion with the vet about when it was the right time. She told me to make a calendar and put a smiley face for the good days my pup had and a frowny face on the bad days. When there were more frowny faces than smiley faces, it's time.

It gave us a few more weeks and the certainty that when it was time, it was really time.

It's still a horrible car ride when it's time.

My thoughts are with you.

I would take him in and have a talk with your vet. I got the call today from the wife to get home from work because our 10 year old lab was not doing well. I thought today was going to be his last when I saw him. Took him to the vet and his blood work wasn’t too bad so we just need to watch him. I feel his day is near and it will not be easy to make that call. Best of luck my friend.

it's time...don't make the dog suffer anymore. Take him to the vet and find out what he has and I'm sure they can help make the decision for you.

Might be time. Maybe not. Don’t overlook simple explanations for a quick turn for the worst. Canine influenza has been wicked in the past year or so. I don’t know why, not a vet. But, I’ve seen more that a few healthy and young dogs exhibit those exact symptoms and be fine four days later. Food for thought.

I asked this exact same thing here once.

It’s tough, and despite what some people said, I never “knew” it was time. I did my best to do right by her, leaning toward “too soon” being better than“too late”. I made the decision and it hurt terribly, but it was a decision made with love and I didn’t waste time second guessing it.

I’m really sorry.

Last edited:
Oof, that stirs some feelings...sorry Brian. As hard as you think it'll be, it's worse
Literally this. I knew it was the right time. But it hurts. It’s 3 months later and it hurts. And telling your kids you have to do it… ooooof the worst part of all

I’m just going to say this… our Annabella was still annabella inside. And she saved all her energy and personality for our daughter but was otherwise a shell of herself. But She barely got up when she wasn’t around, had trouble controlling her bladder and other than eating, didn’t really seem to want to do anything. She was present, but didn’t really seem “there”.

I’ll just say this, no matter what you decide, make the decision that’s best for the dog, even if it tears you and the kids up. In the end, they deserve that dignity for years of being the best damn dog you could ever ask for. And last but not least, take a bunch of pics and videos and give Rigby so many hug and snuggles man.

I feel for ya.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rohan7
Back