Caribou Gear Tarp

What's the craziest/coolest thing you've found in the wild?

My Dad and I were bowhunting elk in Colorado probably 20 yrs ago and found a snowmobile at the bottom of a huge ravine...it was in good shape and almost started. My Dad joked that we should look around, there was a probably a like new snowmobile suit laying around there somewhere...ugh...no bodies were found.

About 10 years ago or so, I was on a day hike in the Huachuca Mountains (SE corner of Arizona). Came across about 5 strapping young men on a "backpacking trip", and those packs were very full and very squared off. Me and my hiking buddy stood off to the side and politely let them pass. That wasn't the weirdest moment that day. We had tagged the second highest peak in the chain and were making for the highest before our descent, when we stopped to top off water at a spring. The spring is probably at 8-9K in elevation in the Miller Peak Wilderness, and we came across, I kid you not, Wednesday and Pugsley Addams having a picnic up there. Two Goth kids in street clothes and street shoes, with what looked like 2 cokes and sandwhich to split between them. Between the mules and the Addams Family picnic, I was wondering what the hell was in my canteen.

On that note; I was in deep in the mountains in 36b near Arivaca, far from roads or trails, and in the middle of nowhere I found a strap-on dildo.

I was 18 and took a summer trip out west. Was backpacking into the Beartooths when a young lady came running down the trail towards me, and was looking for the F S Ranger, "Blaze". I had just talked to him a mile or two down the trail, and let her know that. Then she told me she was with a church group and a couple of the boys were playing in the rocks, triggering a slide. One boy was hurt badly, and one had died.

A couple days later right before dark, Blaze came past my camp leading a mule with the boy's body wrapped in canvas draped over it. All alone and a 1000 miles from home, I didn't sleep the best that night, and the whole event left me with a profound respect for nature.

In Red Rock National Rec Area, a popular rock climbing spot, people are constantly killing themselves doing things they have no business doing. Why do people without the ability free climb? Or, what makes them think they can stand next to a 1,000 ft precipice while they take a selfie without any risk? The selfie thing happens pretty regularly, with 2 people involved at times!

On a day hike to Mt Charleston I was backed up against a tree by 2 huge dogs with nothing but a rock in my hand. Around the corner comes the woman owner who says to me in the ugliest tone possible "It's because of people like you I have dogs!" WTF?

The same day I was headed down the trail and as I neared the trail head I noticed the coroner and a metro cop were there. They noticed me and started pointing and chattering among themselves which made me pretty nervous to say the least. The cop asked me when I got there, "you see anything strange today?" Me, "yes, some b@$!h with dogs not on a leash gave me a bad time." Him, "yeah, we heard about her, did you see anything else?" Me "no, why?" Him, "there's a dead woman over there in the bushes who comitted suicide this morning." Me, "really? why'd she do that here?" Him, "people come up here all the time and off themselves coz it's a peaceful place to do it." Me, I'm thinking things can't possibly get any weirder when the cop says "Now, see what you caused?" My face must've fallen a mile coz he immediately said "Aww, come on, I was just kidding." Wow....that was one strange day and one strange cop.

Speaking of Bodies, On a trail ride on horseback, we were checking some cows a friend was running on the Water District property. We rode by a car parked at the end of the road, and i joked "Well at least there isn't a body in it." when we peered in the windows.

YEEEAHHHH....we found the badly decomposed body about 50 yards in front of the car out in the field. When the Coroner showed up he found a Remington 870 that the corpse had fallen upon.

My buddy, who has a thing for tall blondes, ran into a couple of female Swedish tourists out in the middle of the Owens Valley. I was stalking a herd of Tule Elk at the time.
Sooooo.... is that all there is to the story? Or did something happen with these tall, blonde, tourists....?

Sooooo.... is that all there is to the story? Or did something happen with these tall, blonde, tourists....?
I think you are looking for the Penthouse Forum....

I was too wrapped up in chasing elk to really care. But I thought it was odd that he met them several miles off the paved road in a high desert valley, not on a popular hiking trail or anything.

I found an old camp from what I think was a miner in the Superstitions while deer hunting. It was at the head of a small valley, under an overhang and behind some trees. I know it was man made because there was a couple short stone walls built up and some old horseshoes and empty cans around. It was kinda cool.

Oh and there were the 2 graves in northern AZ we found while turkey huntin, we assume they were a pair of Lion Hounds, they had a heckuva view of the countryside. Someday I'd be interested in the story of Indy Bear

Found this a couple weeks ago. It was 1000ft below a sharp curve in the roadway above. Undisturbed mature trees all around it. I certainly wasn't the first to find it, but sure got me wondering about the story it holds. 20190916_160406.jpg

Attachments

• 20190916_160406.jpg
    20190916_160406.jpg
    8.4 MB · Views: 2
-My boss once found a hunter sitting peacefully under a tree overlooking a large drainage. The poor fellow had just expired, within the last hour or so, probably due to a heart attack. I think I'm fine if I never find anything like that.

Not a bad way to go if it's your time!
[/QUOTE]
True - but it sucks to be the poor suckers who have to haul you out.

Not a bad way to go if it's your time!
True - but it sucks to be the poor suckers who have to haul you out.
[/QUOTE]
Better to find him only an hour after death as opposed to a few days after death. Talk about an unpleasant experience.

My buddy, who has a thing for tall blondes, ran into a couple of female Swedish tourists out in the middle of the Owens Valley. I was stalking a herd of Tule Elk at the time.

So, how were the legs, meaning the elk's, of course.

I was 18 and took a summer trip out west. Was backpacking into the Beartooths when a young lady came running down the trail towards me, and was looking for the F S Ranger, "Blaze". I had just talked to him a mile or two down the trail, and let her know that. Then she told me she was with a church group and a couple of the boys were playing in the rocks, triggering a slide. One boy was hurt badly, and one had died.

A couple days later right before dark, Blaze came past my camp leading a mule with the boy's body wrapped in canvas draped over it. All alone and a 1000 miles from home, I didn't sleep the best that night, and the whole event left me with a profound respect for nature.

Probably around 1979 ish? Rainbow Lake or Lake at the Falls, if I remember right. A small group of us hiked through the same afternoon. We'd talked to Blaze D earlier in the day too. The guy were were with was a doctor that had recently treated Blaze's wife. We were coming down from the other side. We probably passed you on the trail.

What a coincidence!

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back