What's the coolest thing you've ever found, that you weren't looking for, while hunting?

Lost the pic some time ago, but found an old army ammo can under a hollowed out tree stump while turkey hunting that turned out to be a Geocache site. Sighed the logbook and added a turkey feather I’d found.

Remnants of a colonial era homestead in the foothills of Virginia near Patrick Henry’s birthplace... can’t find the pics🤦‍♂️

Did you find out anything about it or just leave it?

Well, this was an old friend of mine who took another guy to my favorite mule deer spot...

But seriously it was in 2009. We called the sheriff after my buddy shot and packed out his goat (we were on a stalk when we came upon it). He didn't believe us, that they get calls like this a few times a year and it always ends up being a halloween skeleton or some other animal. He then asked if we could draw a map to it, I said "No, but I could take you there easily." He said he didn't have time. I couldn't believe it. Anyway, my phone rings at about 20 miles west of town (Sand Springs) and the deputy asked about it, said he was sure it wasn't legit, but that the boss told him to follow up. We turned around and drove him to the site, and he kept complaining about how it was his day off and football Saturday, all that. His demeanor changed when he saw the skull.

We found out a couple years ago it ended up being a pretty significant archaeological site, an indian woman buried with some cool stuff, particularly an eagle bone flute. The only reason we ever found that out is a mutual friend got a gig as an archaeologist in Miles City and his boss was complaining one day about being called all the way up to Jordan to check out some indian bones on a Sunday years ago. We had told our friend about the skull when we found it and then he put the pieces together and realized it was the site we found. It was actually on a Block Management Area that is no longer there, but was just a couple miles east of town.

Found lots of stuff over the years but I'd say my favorite would be the buffalo nickel I found a few years ago while kicking away some leaves under a ancient tulip poplar to watch a big saddle. I thought it looked odd at first till I picked it up and cleaned it off. Still have it on my mantle with a couple other things similar. Makes you wonder how many years it has been laying there. It looks worn pretty well so it's hard to say when it was actually dropped.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200528-131002.png
    Screenshot_20200528-131002.png
    1 MB · Views: 13
A mile or two off any trail.
head-tree.jpg

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member