PEAX Equipment

What's the craziest/coolest thing you've found in the wild?

-Couple bison skulls in the WY mountains, one in a wash in 2013, one in a patch of spruce at 10K' in 2017. Coincidentally I killed a big muley the day after each.
-One of the coolest things I've seen was a hawk bomb in over my head to take out a blue grouse maybe 15 feet in front of me. It sounded like a jet going over and I didn't know the grouse was there until it exploded in a puff of feathers.

When we were kids we found a huge pile of tools, electric motors and chain/binders. This was along one of our field edges on the farm - someone robbed the neighbors and stashed it in the woods. Couple weeks ago I came across an old stove I believe in the Breaks..

Attachments

• MVIMG_20190922_170625.jpg
    MVIMG_20190922_170625.jpg
    5 MB · Views: 21
  • IMG_20190922_170609.jpg
    IMG_20190922_170609.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 22
  • MVIMG_20190922_170606.jpg
    MVIMG_20190922_170606.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 20
In '95 while glassing the Rattlesnake Hills of central WY for antelope with a friend - miles from a road or power pole, my friend says, "Hey there's a woman in a red dress that just walked behind that hill!"

"Yeah - sure there is."

We went to investigate and found an old cabin with a well behind that hill. No electricity and no real developed 2-track leading up to the place. It appeared that somebody had recently hunt laundry on the clothes line. We walked around looking for signs of life and peeked into the cabin. The walls were completely covered in Penthouse centerfolds -creepy like a B grade horror movie.

"Anybody here?"

From around the side of the cabin popped out an elderly man in a red bath robe and a huge smile showing all his Indian corn teeth. "Hi!" There we made the acquaintance of Benny France. We spent a half hour getting a tour of his home, with whole, skinned antelope carcasses hanging from the ceiling inside, photos of groups of women and heard about his conquests with a few of them. He swung a large wooden door open on the side of an embankment and showed us a brand new F-150 truck with no plates. "They took my license, but they aren't taking this truck."

It was a WTF surreal encounter.

-One of the coolest things I've seen was a hawk bomb in over my head to take out a blue grouse maybe 15 feet in front of me. It sounded like a jet going over and I didn't know the grouse was there until it exploded in a puff of feathers.

That is crazy! A buddy and I had the exact same thing happen to us a few years ago with a hawk and some quail. We had just dropped off a little bank toward some quail and heard the hawk bomb over our heads. Next thing you know there was a giant puff of feathers and quail scattering everywhere literally from the bushes 20ft in front of us.
Definitely one of the coolest things I’ve seen while hunting.

In '95 while glassing the Rattlesnake Hills of central WY for antelope with a friend - miles from a road or power pole, my friend says, "Hey there's a woman in a red dress that just walked behind that hill!"

"Yeah - sure there is."

We went to investigate and found an old cabin with a well behind that hill. No electricity and no real developed 2-track leading up to the place. It appeared that somebody had recently hunt laundry on the clothes line. We walked around looking for signs of life and peeked into the cabin. The walls were completely covered in Penthouse centerfolds -creepy like a B grade horror movie.

"Anybody here?"

From around the side of the cabin popped out an elderly man in a red bath robe and a huge smile showing all his Indian corn teeth. "Hi!" There we made the acquaintance of Benny France. We spent a half hour getting a tour of his home, with whole, skinned antelope carcasses hanging from the ceiling inside, photos of groups of women and heard about his conquests with a few of them. He swung a large wooden door open on the side of an embankment and showed us a brand new F-150 truck with no plates. "They took my license, but they aren't taking this truck."

It was a WTF surreal encounter.

Winner, winner chicken dinner!

I found several uncovered old wells like the picture attached. Dangerous situation for any deer hunters walking through this area at night.

Attachments

• B05B01C4-49B3-4FAA-A876-61B027CE89AA.jpeg
    B05B01C4-49B3-4FAA-A876-61B027CE89AA.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 22
In the late 80's a friend and I found an old 60's model Ford f100 with 4-5 inches of pine duff covering the old truck. Over a mile from the nearest road.. When we pried the door open we found a large wooden box on the passenger floor boards.. We opened it up to find an almost full box of stick dynamite sweating nitro like a pig.. We closed everything back up carefully and walked back to the truck. Called the state police and told them how to find the truck.

Hunting back in the same area a couple of years later we went back and the truck and all of it's contents were gone... I never heard anything about what happened after we made the call..

An illegal alien walking behind a whitetail spike. Every time the spike would stop, he would shoot him again with a .22.
I shot the deer and yelled at the guy. And that is why we didn't hunt Public Land back east.

A whole lot of years ago me and another hunttalker were walking in an old skid road for an evening elk hunt on a fine Sept. day.

We had spotted the elk that morning and when we came back for the evening hunt there was a truck and horse trailer part where the old road took off. Since we were going out the old road then into the creek bottom and up the other side we figured we would be clear of the horse folks.

About a mile around the road we came around the bend to find the horses tied up, a blanket spread out on the ground and a young couple in various states of undress sipping wine.

We gave them a nod and kept on hiking. Once we crossed the draw and climbed the other side we could glass back and see them making a hasty retreat back to the truck.

I guess we spoiled the evening.

The weirdest thing this year

Hiking to a deer spot under the light of a full moon.

I can hear the bellows of sheep in the distance and as I walk around a corner.

I see two eyes shine in my head lamp.

One jumps off the other one and runs away.

I come to realize what I had just seen.

It was two porcupines getting it on.

As I make a wide loop to steer clear of the remaining porcupine, it starts chirping at me.

I do not speak porcupine, but I think it was clear what the beast was saying - 'Thanks a lot A Hole'

That someone of seeming sound mind and fit body - standing on a pathless dog hair, steep, shithole north slope four miles in and 2300' up - will doggedly insist (that because a layer found on a piece of GPS mapping software indicates such) that "the trail should be right here". Said person's irritation that hiking partners would doubt said person and said person's technology, was quite pronounced.
A nice trail found three days later, less than .33 miles across steep and deep canyon from "where it was supposed to be", on return trip.
Made for a fun trip (at said person's expense) in the truck all the way back to HQ............................................

Just read thedude's story.
My electrofishing crew and I rounded a bend on the Gallatin River near Logan Mt. Saw two skunks engaged quite closely.
"TWO skunks"! said I, from the back of the boat - quite unconcerned nor impressed.
The guy in the front, standing higher up than I, saw the whole situation.
"They're F$%#@G" he blurted out.
For the last 20 years that spot has been known as "skunkf*&^ corner".

About 12 years ago I was deer hunting my cousins family farm in Kansas. I lost my bow release when I got back to truck. I backtracked my trail I took every day to get to my deer stand. While looking I found a fanny pack near a persimmon tree. I opened it up and it had a little over four hundred dollars cash in it. I dug some more and found a Kansas drivers license. I took it to my cousin and her husband. Come to find out it belonged to the handyman they had hired to maintenance their rent houses. He had went to their farm to relax and pick persimmons. He lost it 3 or 4 months earlier. He thought it was long gone. Boy was he happy.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sea Rover
Back