What's the coolest thing you've ever found, that you weren't looking for, while hunting?

No tags, pretty sure these have been there for many many years. Very old. Definitely before you need to have any ID on them. Only the bottom of 1 exposed at all. Other 2 were deep under so much earth. Totally packed in and around every inch .

On an elk hunt in Utah my brother and I found these horse hooves with shoes still attached. I didn’t think to take an “ as they lay “ pic so later when we happened upon an abandoned cabin we took this pic of them there. We each took one home and I’m not sure what he did with his but I sprayed my with a clear satin finish to preserve it. C93B776A-7F18-4B79-9EE6-472AE6FC5251.jpeg

No tags, pretty sure these have been there for many many years. Very old. Definitely before you need to have any ID on them. Only the bottom of 1 exposed at all. Other 2 were deep under so much earth. Totally packed in and around every inch .
They look like Newhouse traps from what I am kind of seeing from your photo. Can you read what they say on the pan of the traps?

I took toothbrush with water to 1 pan.
I can make out. S Newhouse
Oneida Community
( kinda looks like No. 4 in middle of pan.)
The size makes sense for them to be #4's

I would put even money that they belonged to OGroman (sp)

I have heard of Craig Ogorman, wouldn't mind meeting the man. Its possible he may know something about these traps. These traps are old, wish I knew how old. I was guessing they may have been out there 50-100 years but who knows for sure. They were in a strange location, pretty far up a drainage. Closest 2 track is a bit over 1 1/4 miles. Not very convenient for someone checking a trap line. My thought was maybe they were dropped or fell off a horse while going from 1 canyon to another. I started hunting in the Custer in 1988. And I have walked very close to this location before without noticing anything.

Last edited:
I have heard of Craig Ogroman, wouldn't mind meeting the man. Its possible he may know something about these traps. These traps are old, wish I knew how old. I was guessing they may have been out there 50-100 years but who knows for sure. They were in a strange location, pretty far up a drainage. Closest 2 track is a bit over 1 1/4 miles. Not very convenient for someone checking a trap line. My thought was maybe they were dropped or fell off a horse while going from 1 canyon to another. I started hunting in the Custer in 1988. And I have walked very close to this location before without noticing anything.
That far from the two track doesn't sound like Ogroman. In the old days there was a legendary trapper named Charly Flory. Maybe they are his.

I have heard of Craig Ogorman, wouldn't mind meeting the man. Its possible he may know something about these traps. These traps are old, wish I knew how old. I was guessing they may have been out there 50-100 years but who knows for sure. They were in a strange location, pretty far up a drainage. Closest 2 track is a bit over 1 1/4 miles. Not very convenient for someone checking a trap line. My thought was maybe they were dropped or fell off a horse while going from 1 canyon to another. I started hunting in the Custer in 1988. And I have walked very close to this location before without noticing anything.
Just because there is not a two track there now does not mean that there wasn't fifty years ago. For example at one time there was a track up South Fork of Poker Jim all the way to the top, You could drive to the head of Hole In the Wall and up Cook Creek and down Bringoff.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1st BDX Scope
Back