Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

What shotgun?

mtmiller

This should probably go in the "upland bird" forum, but thought I would get more views here.

I have been getting too much crap about using my camo Benelli M-1 90 for all my scattergun needs, so thinking about getting a good O/U 12. I would like to budget $1,500, but that is probably low for a quality gun that will be for a lifetime.

Any suggestions for a quality O/U <$2,000. Should I look at a used one? Always apprehensive about used guns since I am not sure why someone got rid of it in the first place.

I don't want a pretty gun. I want something that is durable and makes birds dead. Lighter the better, but would rather pack a little heavier than pay top dollar to drop a few ounces.

Any suggestions?

my person choice is Browning Citori I have a satin hunting model that shoot 2 3/4" to 3 1/2" shells

well balanced and MSRP is $1599

i have several of the lower end Mossberg o/u not the quality you would want.

YD

my person choice is Browning Citori I have a satin hunting model that shoot 2 3/4" to 3 1/2" shells

well balanced and MSRP is $1599

i have several of the lower end Mossberg o/u not the quality you would want.

YD

I'll second the Citori.

Thanks guys. I will research it this evening.

A guy I hunted with this weekend said that it was a good gun, but prefers the Beretta.

• lighter
  • barrel selector easier to switch with gloves
  • less of a profile
  • tighter seel

Like you guys, I really liked the sounds of the Citori, but haven't spent much time researching yet and I know there are much more knowledgeable people here.

thanks much....

I got a Weatherby orion about 5 years ago for around a $1000, it was a rep sample. It has nice wood and is just a plain blued reciever. I have not shot my semi since picking this gun up. Love it for upland.

Mine has the 28 inch barrel, thought I wanted 26 but after some use I like it as is.

The barrel selector is on the trigger and honestly dont use it much.
The break open action is smooth, tight and well designed.

I dont think you could go wrong with a O/U like this.

Lots of things I don't get, but single shot rifles and fancy shotguns rate right at the top.....what is the o/u going to be able to do that your Benelli can't? Can the o/u be dropped in the mud and still work whereas the Benelli won't?

I've always wanted the Citori, but when it came down to the money I couldn't get myself to pony up the cash. I did buy a CZ Redhead that I really like, but if paying the extra had been more doable I would have bought the Citori.

The thing I like most about the O/U is the 2 barrels and being able to run 2 different chokes. Love having modified over Improved, especially when birds can be on the wild side or you might catch them super tight in a cattail slough. Overall I like how the O/U shoulders for me compared to anything else.

Guess it come down to preference and it the only shotgun I will hunt with now. So I guess the question is why do I still have the beretta? Maybe get rid of that and free up some cash.

fishing4sanity is right on the money, the CZ is a great gun for the money. We shoot every year at the Colorado Youth Outdoors shoot and CZ is a sponsor. They have about every gun that they make on hand and I can honestly say they have a great product. Besides that anybody helping kids get in the outdoors is good to go in my book.

Lots of things I don't get, but single shot rifles and fancy shotguns rate right at the top.....what is the o/u going to be able to do that your Benelli can't? Can the o/u be dropped in the mud and still work whereas the Benelli won't?

If you hunt alot of upland birds a good O/U is just the right tool for the job. Just like a semi auto Benelli or Berreta are the right tool for a serious waterfowler so is a quality O/U shotgun the right tool for a serious upland hunter. Not really a matter of which will kill a bird deader but rather which is a better tool for the job at hand.

Nemont

My suggestion would be to get some new friends who are not gun snobs (I'll join you with an Ithaca 37) and use that gun money for a hunt. Maybe a mountain goat hunt. :D

My first o/u shotgun was a Browning Citori, now this might seem an unusual statement but i was told if you are over 5'10'' buy a Browning, under 5'10'' get a Beretta, well i am 5'9'' and i shot ok with the Citori, until i bought my Beretta Silver Pigeon 3, now i shoot a lot better!
Having said that i shot 100's of cartridges through both guns and they are still very tight, so it makes no difference if you buy a good second hand Browning or Beretta.
What i did fing was there wasn't supposed to be a 'cast off' with my off the shelf Beretta, well with the first one there was, but it wasn't a problem as i exchanged it for anothet brand new one.
Although i shoot with a 12g the 20g has got a lot more popular of late.
Cheers
Richard

Get a Beretta and you won't be sorry.

Workmanship and quality seems to be above the Brownings.

And don't be afraid to buy a used gun! There are some GREAT deals out there. Sometimes people just want to sell their gun (even when nothing is wrong with it).

The absolute key to buying used guns is...don't be in a hurry. And by that, I mean 1-2 years is not too long to look. Used gun shopping is NOT checking out a half dozen used gun store and buying the best thing you find. Just stash your gun money away and you'll find something to spend it on before you know it. It might be a bit harder living in Havre though. I've seen quite a few good deals in the last 3 or 4 years, both on rifles and shotguns.

I just recently shot this browning and really liked the feel if it. It is a nice looking gun but is also something that I would have no problem taking into the field. This model is capable if holding 3 1/2" shells which you may or nay not be looking for. I thought this gun mounted nice, tracked well and felt good in my hand. It was fairly light as well. I may be ordering it myself. Here is a link that seems to have it for a decent price.
Lucas
http://www.lowpriceguns.com/product.php_380553

Oh, you want a "proper fowling piece" eh?

Browning or Beretta will suit your needs for sure. But my advice would be to find a place that carries them and shoulder them. Very different feels between the two. Between all of them for that matter.

Go all out, get a Purdy.

I'll 3rd the CZ's. Had a ringneck in 20 for a few years and regret letting it go. The Redheads look like solid performers. Good CS as well as being good field guns.

I probably just don't know any better, but I love my Yildiz O/U shotgun. They are from Turkey and imported exclusively by Academy Sports out of Katy, Texas.

One of my co-workers has a Citori and I actually prefer my shotgun over his shooting them side by side. Decent looking gun and I've had mine for 4 years now with no issues whatsoever. Mostly I shoot dove with it, but also some quail and pheasant. To show how much of a hillbilly I am, I even shot my first turkey with it using the full choke. The barrel selector is right where you can easily change it with your thumb on your trigger hand. It's the safety as well.

It was $400 when I bought mine, but I think they are $450ish now. I'm sure I'm just a hill billy and don't know any better, but you could buy a 12 gauge and a 20 gauge and still have a bunch leftover out of your budget.

My 2 cents, probably not worth that much though.

Nathan

I have a Charles Daly (miroku) from the 1960's. I bought it used on GunBroker.com 15+ years ago and I would not trade it for the world.

I think that the MOST IMPORTANT item may not be the type of gun, but HOW THE GUN FITS.

I can not hit the side of a barn with a Ruger Red Label & some other guns out there. I pick up my Daly and I am dead on. Realize that guns can be fitted to your arm length and comfort.

If you are not in a hurry my best advice would be for you to wait until TRAP season comes around and go to a trap club and ask to try some of the o/u's. I know that at our club 99% of the people will hand over thier gun and let you shoot a round of trap. Once you pick up that gun and shoot it you will know which one feels the best.

good luck to all
the dog

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chamoy
Back