WA COVID Ridiculousness

I feel like the adage "We all live downstream" describes this situation pretty well. Just like someone who's "minding their own business" mining their own land and just wants to be left alone can unintentionally kill people living downstream now drinking contaminated water, an unknowingly infected carrier can do a lot of harm without having any idea they did so while "minding their own business."

I live in a society with a government because I acknowledge that my existence on this planet has an affect on other people whether I want it to or not.

I haven't heard anyone discuss what criteria will define when restrictions are lifted? I have no idea if it will be based on tests, deaths, cases, time... I simply haven't any discussions on that.

Anthony Fauci: "You don't make the timeline, the virus makes the timeline" on relaxing public health measures. This guys is an expert in these kinds of matters ... could not have said it any better. Just because someone else is acting like a fool ... does not mean we all should. Do your part and quit worrying about what others are doing or not doing. It's like social media (Facebook or Twitter) ... most is negative and folks get caught up in the negativity.

It’s this catastrophic, end-of-the-world conspiracy mentality that scares me more than anything. Its amazing how mentally fragile humans really are.

We’re losing sight of the big picture here. There are no easy answers for anyone. I think for the most part governments are trying to do the best they can to address both public health and economic realities. It’s not like there’s a ton of modern experience to draw from. There is no perfect solution-some things are going to suffer to make other things better. That’s life. Losing our minds over not being able to go to a park isn’t going to help anything. This is a temporary situation. Do what you can with what you have, where you are to keep yourself and those around you healthy.

Take a breath, turn off the news and go read a book.

It’s this catastrophic, end-of-the-world conspiracy mentality that scares me more than anything. Its amazing how mentally fragile humans really are.

We’re losing sight of the big picture here. There are no easy answers for anyone. I think for the most part governments are trying to do the best they can to address both public health and economic realities. It’s not like there’s a ton of modern experience to draw from. There is no perfect solution-some things are going to suffer to make other things better. That’s life. Losing our minds over not being able to go to a park isn’t going to help anything. This is a temporary situation. Do what you can with what you have, where you are to keep yourself and those around you healthy.

5 stars.

Very nice!

However, just don't read this book:

As an ‘essential’ employee (along with almost everybody else it seems)
I was out and about looking at projects yesterday (alone in a pickup only I drove) and I can tell you there are many, many people out and about, going into grocery stores, hitting up drive throughs for lunch and coffee etc.

It seems like we are doing enough to crush the economy but not enough to do much to stop the spread of the virus. We may be flattening the curve some, but it’s being spread all over because there are people all over.

Big companies are beginning to rent schools for daycares for their essential employees, since school is closed. Is that a bit counter productive?

I think it should be a total lockdown or a lifting of restrictions, because these half assed measures are predictably giving half assed results.

We’re losing sight of the big picture here.
Others feel the same... just differently.

Yes, at what point? Spring breakers are now complaining that the government and governor of Florida didn’t adequately convey the gravity of the situation and should have done more to keep them safe. Like close the beaches sooner, perhaps? I imagine lawsuits will follow. You know as well as I do the Governor can’t win no matter what he does. If short-term inconveniencing of the selfish is better for the majority, then fine.

The Florida spring-breakers are another level of stupid, there is absolutely zero common sense or accountability among them judging by what I've seen on the news during the past few weeks...

I think it should be a total lockdown or a lifting of restrictions, because these half assed measures are predictably giving half assed results.

The half assed measures are working exactly as designed. They were never meant to keep all from catching the virus. They were meant to flatten. It appears to me they are doing that. If the only concern was not catching the virus, then total lockdown is a great idea. Its far from the only concern. Therefore everything takes a hit while nothing is ignored.

The half assed measures are working exactly as designed. They were never meant to keep all from catching the virus. They were meant to flatten. It appears to me they are doing that. If the only concern was not catching the virus, then total lockdown is a great idea. Its far from the only concern. Therefore everything takes a hit while nothing is ignored.
Not speaking for Gomer, but I really feel a more concerted effort should have been made initially. Yes, we have likely slowed it, but I'm not sure we have enough. Instead of 10 days of half ass followed by 14 days of hardline, we likely would have been better off skipping the 10 days of half ass.

The half assed measures are working exactly as designed. They were never meant to keep all from catching the virus. They were meant to flatten. It appears to me they are doing that.

Exactly! Not catching the virus is not the biggest concern, they just don't want everybody to catch it at once and overload the hospitals...

Not speaking for Gomer, but I really feel a more concerted effort should have been made initially. Yes, we have likely slowed it, but I'm not sure we have enough. Instead of 10 days of half ass followed by 14 days of hardline, we likely would have been better off skipping the 10 days of half ass.
Don't neccasarily disagree. But given where we are at and what we now know, I say stay the course. When this first rolled out, it was based off so few facts. Not surprising we may have missed the mark.

Don't neccasarily disagree. But given where we are at and what we now know, I say stay the course. When this first rolled out, it was based off so few facts. Not surprising we may have missed the mark.
We absolutely have to stay the course IMO, otherwise everything else was wasted effort.

Back