WA COVID Ridiculousness

Crowding at boat launches and along certain banks, and the need for in person interviews for monitoring of ESA listed species is the only reasons they give for needing this closure. Close the areas where people are congregating, make the rule specific to the problem. Stand 10 feet away while conducting interviews. Limit the distance people are allowed to travel to fish, but to just close it outright is not well thought out, since I think this is an activity that can be done safely and provides some sanity for a lot of people. The closure notice even notes how more people are out doing things outside, exactly what WDFW promotes.

On the other hand, I suspect that part of it is the fact that LEOs have to have clearly defined violations they can cite if they are to have any enforcement power, and there are no clearly defined rules around social distancing, whereas a closure, well that's easy for them to enforce.

Here's the problem, you close the "certain" crowded boat launches and banks...then the next one down the line becomes the new "certain crowded launch and bank"...it doesn't stop. It just pushes the problem to the next area.

For hells sake, does it really kill the average person to give up a weekend or two of fishing RIGHT NOW, for the over-all health of your family, your friends, your community?

Let me be the first to tell the A.D.D. types....you're not making a "sacrifice" by having to stay home for a couple weeks.

Get over it and follow the rules...you aren't as important as you think you are.

Just read that the more affluent NY city residents are fleeing to their summer homes and cleaning out the local rural communities grocery stores across New England, the Carolinas and into Florida. Taking the virus with them of course. The rural locals are furious. Don’t blame them. Most of those communities only have small hospitals if at all.

At what point do we hold our elected officials accountable for common sense decisions?

Yes, at what point? Spring breakers are now complaining that the government and governor of Florida didn’t adequately convey the gravity of the situation and should have done more to keep them safe. Like close the beaches sooner, perhaps? I imagine lawsuits will follow. You know as well as I do the Governor can’t win no matter what he does. If short-term inconveniencing of the selfish is better for the majority, then fine.

Will it? I have heard exactly ZERO criteria for limiting any restrictions.

You lost me.

Here's the problem, you close the "certain" crowded boat launches and banks...then the next one down the line becomes the new "certain crowded launch and bank"...it doesn't stop. It just pushes the problem to the next area.

For hells sake, does it really kill the average person to give up a weekend or two of fishing RIGHT NOW, for the over-all health of your family, your friends, your community?

Let me be the first to tell the A.D.D. types....you're not making a "sacrifice" by having to stay home for a couple weeks.

Get over it and follow the rules...you aren't as important as you think you are.
Yeah I get it, it's applying a city problem to everybody. I can literally drive less than 10 minutes and find a spot on the rocks along the shore of Lake Chelan and fish all day without anybody coming near me. Others can walk out on their deck and fish without leaving their property, but no way to make an exception for that.

I personally am loving the stay at home order, I have no problem staying home for long periods, and don't mind if fishing is shut down a couple weeks. But there's potential for this to go on for weeks, if not months, and my freezer is about out of fish. If there's need for this to be prolonged, I will definitely be noisy about applying some common sense to it.

So what happened in the Bay area was on the Weekend EVERYONE and their dog went to the beach....or to the state park...or to the national seashore. It was like a holiday weekend. it was brecause of THAT the state closed all of those areas.

Some of the most crowded public lands I've been on are WA state parks. They're fantastic and I love them, but they're not unencumbered public lands. Given the spread in WA, the large urban metroplex from the border to Tacoma, and now the US emerging as the epicenter of the pandemic we're just at the beginning of this. Things are going to get worse before the get better. While it sucks to lose opportunity for the short term, it's better than digging thousands more graves.

Smoke some sticky-icky, have a quarantini, hike on the Nat'l Forest, write your Governor asking him to recognize the value of fishing to rural economies & basic sanity, and why undeveloped/timber lands should be open with some reasonable restrictions on congregating.

1585238269149.png

I haven't heard anyone discuss what criteria will define when restrictions are lifted? I have no idea if it will be based on tests, deaths, cases, time... I simply haven't any discussions on that.
You will, Grasshopper citizen. Be patient. Obey the rules for others sake ... even if you think you are virus bullet proof. (Which you are not!)

But there's potential for this to go on for weeks, if not months, and my freezer is about out of fish. If there's need for this to be prolonged, I will definitely be noisy about applying some common sense to it.
Let's focus on the real dire problems right in our face. Don't start conjuring up problems until they are real.

I haven't heard anyone discuss what criteria will define when restrictions are lifted? I have no idea if it will be based on tests, deaths, cases, time... I simply haven't any discussions on that.

Ordinarily that would be be based on models of circulating virus, transmission potential, all that other epidemiological stuff, but there’s no way we’ll get to that. It will be arbitrarily decided by politicians. Just like closures.

So we should ban game farms because they are a disease vector and threat to public wildlife (which they are), but we shouldn't close public lands to limit human movement during a pandemic because of the disease vector and threat to human safety?

Got it.

As our HT Thanos disciples would argue, there's too many people. And when there's too many people a communicable disease can thin the herd, like wildlife. But since we can't tolerate preventable human death, we put measures in place to minimize it (gun control, traffic laws, medicine). These measures involve limiting our freedom but we often find the sacrifices to be worth the benefits.

But for how long and how often is society going to tolerate measures that severely limit our freedom like what we're doing right now? Most people seem to think a couple of weeks of shelter in place and some paychecks/wealth are worth it in this case (easy for me to say, I'm still going to work and getting paid, can recreate all over my state). But 6 months of this? What if something similar occurs in 2 years? Or next year? Will we be willing to go through this again that soon? Worldwide population density is set to increase for the next 50-100 years so there will be more pandemics.

Just saying folks have some legitimate questions/concerns about how this will play out in the short and long run

So we should ban game farms because they are a disease vector and threat to public wildlife (which they are), but we shouldn't close public lands to limit human movement during a pandemic because of the disease vector and threat to human safety?

Got it.
No more so that we should stop driving cars to stop the pandemic of vehicular deaths.

No more so that we should stop driving cars to stop the pandemic of vehicular deaths.
That's a non sequitur, my friend. We take measures everyday to reduce and/or minimize the number of traffic deaths.

Take a deep breath and go re-read the text I sent you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bgeary
Back