WA COVID Ridiculousness

Question for everyone. What Freedom has to be temporarily stripped from you for you to draw the line and put your foot down and say this is not ok?

In the nexus of contagion, this seems counterintuitive. Perhaps the order is designed to keep young people out of urban parks more than anything. I can also maybe sorta understand closing crowded campgrounds with a public toilet everyone is touching. But dispersed camping is a no brainers. No fishing? Wtf?

This is what I was thinking.

We absolutely have to stay the course IMO, otherwise everything else was wasted effort.

Our response has been weaker than Italy. We're the #1 infection zone right now. The bell got rung on this in January. Our "leaders" dithered & sold stock rather than sound the alarm.

This is what I was thinking.

Tough part now in WA is a lot of the trails are still above the snowline. Most of the city dwellers have 2wd and don't like to travel far so they all flock to the nearest accessible trail head.

Can't really pick and chose which are open b/c as buzz said if we close one then they'll all just go to the next until it's all closed then the true "stay in place" will become effective.

Either take a hit now for a couple weeks or fight to get to the next open trailhead for a couple weeks to come full circle to where we are now.

Blanket ban in the UK now, no hunting/fishing and all parks closed down.
The police have new powers as of today, anyone not having a valid reason for driving from A-B will be fined, persistent offenders can be jailed.
We can exercise once a day, on your own or with a family member.
115 people died in the UK today, 11,500 cases and many of those critical, so for me I don't mind abiding by the new instructions to limit contact.
I think the restrictions are mainly aimed at cities, especially London.

Being outside is not essential. But in most states, including mine, liquor stores and gunshops are considered essential and remain open. Not sure how much sense that makes, but I'm not arguing it. Guess we can stay home, drink and make purchases we can't afford on Gunbroker. M'erica..

Our response has been weaker than Italy. We're the #1 infection zone right now. The bell got rung on this in January. Our "leaders" dithered & sold stock rather than sound the alarm.
Partisan bickering/flat out fighting really hindered any kind of early response to this. This is not me pointing fingers but when this was all starting what were all the members of Congress doing? 100% immersed in an impeachment. To busy to worry about anything else on either side of the aisle.

Partisan bickering/flat out fighting really hindered any kind of early response to this. This is not me pointing fingers but when this was all starting what were all the members of Congress doing? 100% immersed in an impeachment. To busy to worry about anything else on either side of the aisle.
Sorry, that's weak sauce. It's called the National Security Council, who meets with the POTUS regularly. The buck stops at the top here. The CDC and FEMA should have both been prepped in January and some serious planning taking place.

There was NFW Mitch the Repubs were going to convict Trump anyway, so it certainly shouldn't have been distracting Trump from doing his job. According to reports, the NSC tried to get him to take this shit seriously in mid January.

Edit: I'm not going to go into the weeds as to whether I think the impeachment inquiry was warranted, but people can walk and chew gum at the same time. Many of the folks involved in the impeachment hearings were not crucial to pandemic planning anyway.

Taxpayer funded NPR sure had a different take on this virus in January, Ben. :rolleyes:

Taxpayer funded NPR sure had a different take on this virus in January, Ben. :rolleyes:

If the gov't didn't sound the alarm after getting information, then why would news have any different information?

C'mon Paul, be better than this. Tails wagging dogs here. Not the other way around.

We may disagree about some things here, but I think we all can agree that Washington hasn't been this broken since.

Well shit. Since the last president. Where it was the majority's express desire to deny anything moving that 44 wanted.

I've watched us go from Tip O'Neil & Reagan being able to find common ground to the crap we have now.

Careful Ben. If you ask our leaders to #BeBest you'll get labeled a clone of mine.

Edit: I'd encourage everyone to contact your legislators and tell them you value collaboration more than you do hard line partisan stances. That is, if you really do.

Question for everyone. What Freedom has to be temporarily stripped from you for you to draw the line and put your foot down and say this is not ok?
Valid question. I'm a rule follower by nature so I'd probably put up with all sorts of stuff on a temporary basis, already do. It's probably more about the duration. Not sure the US as a whole will put up with this after April. You'll probably see people defying orders and LEOs refusing to enforce. But I dont think the really restrictive stuff will still be in place much longer anyway.

If the gov't didn't sound the alarm after getting information, then why would news have any different information?

C'mon Paul, be better than this. Tails wagging dogs here. Not the other way around.
Travel ban to and from China a couple days later and the news was that this was an overreaction. Come on Ben be better than this.

Even American media and experts doubted the government's decision, saying that the US government's restrictions on China are precisely what the WHO rejects, that the US is turning from overconfidence to fear and overreaction, and that banning the entry of foreigners who traveled to China in the past 14 days is suspected to be violating civil rights instead of reducing risks of virus spreading," Foreign Ministry spokeswoman Hua Chunying said.

Back