WA COVID Ridiculousness

Here in Michigan the state lands are still open but you can not camp on them right now. We actually have an executive order by our Governor to stay home, unless it is essential travel IE grocery stores, medical treatment, take your pet to the vet.

Oh I spoke too soon. All State Lands are now closed to public access.

When I hear people talk about infringement of their 2A rights, and how fired up they are, and how by-gawd what's this country coming to, I tend to roll my eyes in a very "OK Boomer" sort of way. But this is genuinely infringing upon one of the top reasons I love America. Public lands, wildlife, wild places. This is setting a precedent with a comparatively benign virus (as opposed to Ebola or Resistant TB).
Lots of dangerous precedents being set. Scary for sure.

Talking out of my ass as per usual but maybe they’re worried about putting an unnecessary burden on emergency response personnel. Like they don’t want to have to send an ambulance out because some dirty doper/pos pothead twisted their ankle hiking.
Then you’ve got to deal with the dirtbag clogging up an already busy hospital.
Maybe the leo’s/staff that watch over the park have been reassigned or are under shelter in place order themselves. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Talking out of my ass as per usual but maybe they’re worried about putting an unnecessary burden on emergency response personnel. Like they don’t want to have to send an ambulance out because some dirty doper/pos pothead twisted their ankle hiking.
Maybe the leo’s/staff that watch over the park have been reassigned or are under shelter in place order themselves. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Your ass has an interesting ability to shit common sense.

Traffic is down, crime is down, schools are closed, outdoor activity is otherwise down, I haven't seen data but ER visits should follow that trend so I'm not too worried about EMR guys being overburdened. Potheads can still buy their pot and now don't have to go to work, so they're likely at home on the couch watching Netflix. Believe it or not, the forest and lands that are now being closed did just fine for eons before we got here, without a government babysitter standing by, I'm sure they could do the same for the next couple weeks. "Closing the Forest" is one of the most UN-American things I can think of...

Simply look at Instagram. I’ve seen picture after picture posted of 30 - 40 people with their kids out playing in the woods, sitting around bonfires laughing, playing games and drinking beer. These are from Washington - I have friends and family there.

I don’t agree with the closures, but I can’t say I don’t get it.

Also there have been people flocking through small communities to “get away”. That’s great, but I live in a small community. We do not have the medical resources and infrastructure to handle this disease if people bring it here. I wish people would just stay home.

The more disciplined people would be about this distancing stuff, the quicker we get this thing under control and the quicker we can get back to our lives. But too many people right now are acting like this is some kind of national holiday. All that does is prolong the need to impose restrictions, and the need to make them more restrictive.

The intent of a shelter in place order is to KEEP PEOPLE AT HOME. These measures seem entirely in line with that premise.
According to Mr. Inslee I am allowed to walk around my neighborhood for exercise, but I cannot hike the hills at the end of my canyon. My neighborhood is certainly more densely populated and my chances of running into someone are significantly higher. That makes no sense. At what point do we hold our elected officials accountable for common sense decisions?

This is literally the same excuse as gun control, because some people can't follow the rules, everyone pays. I am being selfish? Sure, to some degree. But I'm also taking a step back and drawing a line in the sand. What freedoms are we giving up and for what benefit? I can handle the recession, I can handle the reduction in pay, I can handle schools being closed, but my sanity, and that of my family, does have a value- it does have worth. And I am starting to agree with those that find the cure is worse than the disease.

The more disciplined people would be about this distancing stuff, the quicker we get this thing under control and the quicker we can get back to our lives. But too many people right now are acting like this is some kind of national holiday. All that does is prolong the need to impose restrictions, and the need to make them more restrictive.
Will it? I have heard exactly ZERO criteria for limiting any restrictions.

I'm agitated just like you @neffa3 but I understand where our governor is coming from. I went out hiking on Saturday (90min from seattle) and drove to three different trail heads until I found a place with under 10 cars. The main ones looked like the Costco parking lot the day the panic hit with a stream of people winding up through the woods on the trail. I saw less people yesterday in the grocery than I did that day of hiking.

It agitates the hell outta me, especially closing fishing and potentially hunting but at this point there's too many ignorant people out there not following the rules. It's not our governors decision we should be mad at it's the ass hats in the city not following the rules or thinking they're social distancing just because they're outside shoulder to shoulder on a trail.

Also nothing is stopping you from going on NF prop.

Simply look at Instagram. I’ve seen picture after picture posted of 30 - 40 people with their kids out playing in the woods, sitting around bonfires laughing, playing games and drinking beer. These are from Washington - I have friends and family there.

I don’t agree with the closures, but I can’t say I don’t get it.

Also there have been people flocking through small communities to “get away”. That’s great, but I live in a small community. We do not have the medical resources and infrastructure to handle this disease if people bring it here. I wish people would just stay home.

Yes, you get it for sure, one of very few on here it seems. There are too many people around anymore to do anything else, humans are not designed to live as close together as a lot of the world does, we need to keep separated.
Obviously as everyone has seen most are not smart enough to get it on their own, and need the government to tell them, and then they still do not get it. Sad commentary on intelligence of modern society.

As a
Your ass has an interesting ability to shit common sense.
As a JLS clone, I mostly just repeat what JLS says while using slightly more colorful language.
Traffic is down, crime is down, schools are closed, outdoor activity is otherwise down, I haven't seen data but ER visits should follow that trend so I'm not too worried about EMR guys being overburdened. Potheads can still buy their pot and now don't have to go to work, so they're likely at home on the couch watching Netflix. Believe it or not, the forest and lands that are now being closed did just fine for eons before we got here, without a government babysitter standing by, I'm sure they could do the same for the next couple weeks. "Closing the Forest" is one of the most UN-American things I can think of...
The dispensary’s in Illinois still being open for rec use does seem kinda odd 🤷🏼‍♂️

I'm agitated just like you @neffa3 but I understand where our governor is coming from. I went out hiking on Saturday (90min from seattle) and drove to three different trail heads until I found a place with under 10 cars. The main ones looked like the Costco parking lot the day the panic hit with a stream of people winding up through the woods on the trail. I saw less people yesterday in the grocery than I did that day of hiking.

It agitates the hell outta me, especially closing fishing and potentially hunting but at this point there's too many ignorant people out there not following the rules. It's not our governors decision we should be mad at it's the ass hats in the city not following the rules or thinking they're social distancing just because they're outside shoulder to shoulder on a trail.
Ok. No trails. How many people are going to hike through a Western WA jungle? I dare someone to climb Mt Si from the north.

Though I get it, it sucks. Feels like a product of the proclivity of stupid to aggregate, and how the existence of large populations allows these high populations of idiots to congregate in large numbers.

If some gatherings of a bunch of morons in Billings or Missoula led to something similar in Montana, I would feel little grief in engaging in civil disobedience in the Boulder Mountains of Jefferson County. All that said, in the big picture it will pass and not even be a blip in regards to what matters and how this pandemic will be remembered. Fishing is the last thing on a lot of peoples' minds.

I live in Boulder County where this just went into affect as well.

While I am annoyed, the parks and trails have been PACKED with people. This is why they've had to do this.

I went to a local set of ponds earlier this week. I think its maybe 20 acres. There were over 400 people out on the trails. All sitting on the same benches, using the same bathrooms, touching the same fences.

I live in Boulder County where this just went into affect as well.

While I am annoyed, the parks and trails have been PACKED with people. This is why they've had to do this.

I went to a local set of ponds earlier this week. I think its maybe 20 acres. There were over 400 people out on the trails. All sitting on the same benches, using the same bathrooms, touching the same fences.
So then that has to apply to everyone everywhere? I hear some people are bad drivers, should we all give up our keys?

Rumor we may go to shelter in place in Jackson, MS. I don’t believe in it, but it sure would make us safer. We have around 100 murders per year. Who knows what people like that will do if they have time on their hands and no food.
Considering putting a sign in the front yard:

Coronavirus Patient, Please Stay Away

Crowding at boat launches and along certain banks, and the need for in person interviews for monitoring of ESA listed species is the only reasons they give for needing this closure. Close the areas where people are congregating, make the rule specific to the problem. Stand 10 feet away while conducting interviews. Limit the distance people are allowed to travel to fish, but to just close it outright is not well thought out, since I think this is an activity that can be done safely and provides some sanity for a lot of people. The closure notice even notes how more people are out doing things outside, exactly what WDFW promotes.

On the other hand, I suspect that part of it is the fact that LEOs have to have clearly defined violations they can cite if they are to have any enforcement power, and there are no clearly defined rules around social distancing, whereas a closure, well that's easy for them to enforce.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atlasbranch
Back