PEAX Equipment

Utah

A-con

For those of you that like to play long shots, Utah is due in about a week.
Think my 7 points will get me that Henery Mt rifle buck tag ?

You need to buy a $65 lic if you don't already have one, then it's ten bucks per app.

I put my 15 points in for the Henries last night, so there are at least two of us.:D

Awesome part about living in MT, don't have to stress much if I don't draw out-of-state.

With my two points each for elk and deer, my biggest fear is drawing the Henries and Beaver East rifle in the same year. I don't know how I'm going to explain that to my wife if it happens!

You need to buy a $65 lic if you don't already have one, then it's ten bucks per app.

According to gohunt you have a 0.1% chance.

You can double your odds if you do muzzleloader and now in Utah you can have a magnified scope so there really is no reason not to.

Explain to your better half you had to buy another rifle because you doubled your draw odds.

With my two points each for elk and deer, my biggest fear is drawing the Henries and Beaver East rifle in the same year. I don't know how I'm going to explain that to my wife if it happens!

I didnt think you could draw a limited entry deer and elk same yr? I thought the deer draw was first and if u drew a LE deer they take y name out of elk draw? But I'm not honestly sure. I was just curious if anyone knew for sure

You can only draw one LE or OIL.

Most Utah NR draws you have to look at like a true bonus point system.

There are not a lot of tags given to NR's.

If I wasn't on a group app with my resident buddy, I would be throwing a shot in the dark at the Henry's. Given how they only put 3-4 NR apps for Henry's rifle, we decided to throw a shot into the Pauns pool. If you group with the resident, you are put into the NR draw - which means less tags.

I threw shots in the dark at all species in Utah's system. It is all about pulling that low number. I am planning that I won't draw, but prepping to have that money taken out of the account.

Good to point out the dismal odds there. And it's not limited to the Henries. Since their auction and LO tag expansion, average Joe gets power ball odds for dam near every tag, even mediocre & lower tier units for common species. Each time I look at my options there, the only realistic chance I have is with my 19 deer points. And even those have tough competition. Your dollar would be much better invested in about any other western state. For those starting from the ground floor, don't even think about it.

I was lucky to pull a Book Cliffs elk tag with no NR points back in 1997. Much has changed since then, including SFW pilfering so many of the primo tags. Haha that was even pre-internet, all paper applications with much fewer applicants. The good old days were something else.

Last edited:
Sorry that I am late on getting a memo out to the rest of the NR in Utah....I have reserved the muzzleloader San Juan Deer tag or the rifle San Juan elk Tag. Sorry if you wasted your time on these applications. My bad...I should have let you know a little earlier. I am not sure who gets the Henry deer tags. My magic eight-ball is very limited in unraveling the mysteries of the Utah draw process. It simply says "it is certain" when I asked if I will draw one of these two tags.

I put my 15 points in for the Henries last night, so there are at least two of us.:D

Awesome part about living in MT, don't have to stress much if I don't draw out-of-state.
I resent you just a wee bit for that last sentence.

PS- Your kids are doing fine... ;)

I didnt think you could draw a limited entry deer and elk same yr? I thought the deer draw was first and if u drew a LE deer they take y name out of elk draw? But I'm not honestly sure. I was just curious if anyone knew for sure

Oh good, that takes some of the pressure off. I guess I'll hope for the Henries tag this year and then next year I can step it up and get the San Juan elk tag.

At 32 years old and with only 2 points, I'm really struggling to decide whether to waste my time with Utah. I figure it's relatively cheap to throw my name in the hat and if I draw a tag, it should be a good hunt. I'm in no hurry, if it takes me 30 years to draw a tag, so be it. A lot can change in 30 years, though.

Oh good, that takes some of the pressure off. I guess I'll hope for the Henries tag this year and then next year I can step it up and get the San Juan elk tag.

At 32 years old and with only 2 points, I'm really struggling to decide whether to waste my time with Utah. I figure it's relatively cheap to throw my name in the hat and if I draw a tag, it should be a good hunt. I'm in no hurry, if it takes me 30 years to draw a tag, so be it. A lot can change in 30 years, though.

I don't think it's a terrible investment at $65 plus $10 for ea species every two yrs! Some of the units have ok odds in the random draw. I'm not chasing the premium units, though. But it would be sweet to draw a Henry or San Juan tag!

Also, UT draws the species in a specific sequence so if you draw a tag then you are drawing dead for the following ones.

From UT F&G:

The basic big game drawing sequence

The big game drawing offers multiple types of permits but limits an applicant to drawing one once-in-a-lifetime or one limited-entry permit per year. Because of this, the drawing order may be important to you. The permit selection process follows the basic order listed in Utah Administrative Rule R657-62-19:
1.Buck deer (premium limited-entry, limited-entry, CWMU and management buck deer)
2.Bull elk (premium limited-entry, limited-entry and CWMU)
3.Buck pronghorn (limited-entry and CWMU)
4.Once-in-a-lifetime
5.Youth general buck deer
6.General-season buck deer
7.Youth any bull elk

For many hunters, knowing that general season permits are drawn after the limited-entry and once-in-a-lifetime permits is good enough. For others, it may helpful to know that limited-entry is considered before once-in-a-lifetime. Whatever your goal, know that the drawing is complicated and there are situations in which a permit may be drawn unexpectedly.

I will continue to shoot for the stars and not expect much. In 10 years or so I might start putting in for units with respectable odds.

Two in our household in for the Henries with 17 points each...not that it matters.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hamms12oz
Back