To QD or not to QD, that is the question I ask of thee?

VikingsGuy

I am mounting a Leupold VX-5HD (thanks to schmalts!) to a Tikka T3X. I have typically used Warne tikka rings for mounting to tikkas and like them a lot. I now see they also sell a Quick Detach version of their tikka rings. I don't think I have every used QD rings on a centerfire rifle. What is the collective wisdom of HT regarding QD rings?

Absolutely no way my reloading induced OCD could reconcile Quick Detach mounts. CDS is bad enough.;)

I went a round with the QD mount systems. The only one I currently have is on my muzzle loader, for 2 reasons. Scopes aren't legal in some states, and I have a peep that attaches in lieu of the scope. Also it makes it much easier to clean up.

I had one on a couple different rifles, but it really makes no sense to have it on a rifle any more, IMO. My first set was on a 375H&H I had a 2.5x scope and a 6x scope for it. I would swap across depending on hunt/use. Have since got rid of that setup and now run a 3x9 on the one I have now. The other is on my 338-06ai, mostly because I got a smoking deal on a set when I was looking to scope it. I don't hunt with it much, so its not a big deal. It does make cleaning and tear down a lot easier, but that's it. I didn't' notice any appreciable difference in POI with swapping on/off with the Leupold QRs, also to be fair, they are "short-range" rifles. I'm sure there is some change of POI, but I couldn't tell.

Of the half dozen rifles I've bought since, all wear one piece Tally's.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MtJohn1234
Back