Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

To cut or not to cut, that is the question. Suppressor & Barrel Length

For those of you who cut down, were you able to get the same accuracy as before? I have good loads worked out on all of these, so that’s one of my fears.

Another question: if threading only, did the can change only the poi or did groups change as well?

Should stay the same or get better.

POI will likely change, but groups should not negatively change

A short barrel reduces velocity which will reduce the rifles PBR.

In my case, I know my PBR is roughly 300 yards and I’m 9” low at 400. I can adjust accordingly.

If I cut my 24” barrel to 20”. My PBR is reduced and I’ll be a lot lower drop at 400 yards due to the reduced velocity. My hold a little high on elk goes away.

Reduced velocity will affect my long range shooting and dialing capacity of my rifle too.
All factually correct. But you are the anomaly. I would say those issues do not impact 90% of hunters. You’re really stretching it out if you’re worrying about dialing capacity of your scope…

I had a few minutes so I actually ran some number for my 300 win. I shoot a Berger 200 gr hybrid out of that rifle

24” is roughly 2950 fps

400 yards- 22.4” drop, 5.4 moa, 3.6“ drift for a 5 mph crosswind
1000 yards- 246“ drop, 23.5 moa, 26” drift

20” would roughly be 2850 fps

400 yards- 24.5” drop, 5.8 moa, 3.8” drift
1000 yards- 266” drop, 25.5 moa, 27.8” drift

Last edited:
Another question: if threading only, did the can change only the poi or did groups change as well?
In my experience it depends on the rifle. Its seems to me the more of the barrel that is free floated the more the POI shifts. I get big shifts on my ARs 16" barrels..like 4" at 100 yds when adding the can. On my FC that is bedded to the end of the stock 18" barrel...I get zero POI shift between can and no can. My can is titanium and comes in at 12.5oz...

Haven't noticed any huge change in grouping can vs no can.

A shorter barrel without a doubt makes a suppressed rifle more ‘functional’. Do you not agree with that?

Out of curiosity how much time have you spent behind a suppressed rifle?
No. I have fired suppressed rifles. Why is it that suppressor guys find it so hard to understand that some shooters don't want or need one? I don't have any rifles I would cut. Not buying any that are. I totally understand what suppressors are and what they do. Having one wouldn't make my rifles function any differently for my purposes. mtmuley

When I got my first suppressor I was expecting too much based upon internet chatter. It does reduce the blast a bit, but it certainly is still very loud and nothing helps the supersonic crack. I have a few rifles that I use suppressors on and many that I do not. When I shoot at large game animals it is almost always a single shot, and when at the range I wear phones. I can see more use from one on a varmint rifle than a on big game rifle.
I would not suggest cutting and threading all of your barrels until you have had some real world experience with a suppressor.

No. I have fired suppressed rifles. Why is it that suppressor guys find it so hard to understand that some shooters don't want or need one? I don't have any rifles I would cut. Not buying any that are. I totally understand what suppressors are and what they do. Having one wouldn't make my rifles function any differently for my purposes. mtmuley
Whether or not if you’ve fired one wasn’t the question. I know you’ve shot one but I dont know if that’s 1 round or 1000 rounds and to me that makes a difference. I wasn’t sold on them the first few times I shot one either but my opinions changed when I actually got some real experience with one. And why is it so hard for you to understand that people want to chop barrels down and shoot them? I just can’t figure out why you need to jump into every suppressor thread. I can only imagine what would happen if someone always commented on how stupid a RUM is.

When I got my first suppressor I was expecting too much based upon internet chatter. It does reduce the blast a bit, but it certainly is still very loud and nothing helps the supersonic crack. I have a few rifles that I use suppressors on and many that I do not. When I shoot at large game animals it is almost always a single shot, and when at the range I wear phones. I can see more use from one on a varmint rifle than a on big game rifle.
I would not suggest cutting and threading all of your barrels until you have had some real world experience with a suppressor.
You mean it’s not like the movies?!?! Just the sweet crisp sound of trigger break, the tempered rap of a firing pin, and a poof as sweet and soft as a bee fart?!?

Whether or not if you’ve fired one wasn’t the question. I know you’ve shot one but I dont know if that’s 1 round or 1000 rounds and to me that makes a difference. I wasn’t sold on them the first few times I shot one either but my opinions changed when I actually got some real experience with one. And why is it so hard for you to understand that people want to chop barrels down and shoot them? I just can’t figure out why you need to jump into every suppressor thread. I can only imagine what would happen if someone always commented on how stupid a RUM is.
RUMS are stupid. Comment away. And I can't remember ever reccomending one. I just don't want one of those things hanging off my barrel. Just me. I won't comment again. mtmuley

They are only stupid to those of them that don't know any better. Takes a special shooter to deal with one. That's you and me and harley. mtmuley
Wait just a damn minute. I'm assembling the parts for a 300 RUM for Paul to build at some point in the future. Based on how my rat hole money is flowing these days, it may be a decade from now. Does that count me out @mtmuley?

When I’m hunting elk, I could care less about the report of my rifle. The elk doesn’t hear it, he’s dead before the sound could even get there.

Prairie dogs are a different story, when you hammer them for hours, suppression becomes more relevant. I just got my first suppressor for my 204 Ruger and soon I will take a bunch of my varmint rifles to the gunsmith and have him thread them up for the suppressor. I won’t cut any barrels, just thread them as I want every inch of velocity in my varmint rifles, and off a bench, the additional length is of no consequence.

$800.00 and a year wait for a suppressor makes me see the economy of one suppressor on multiple guns…

3678A4C7-164B-4008-A195-C361DEA333EC.jpeg

When I’m hunting elk, I could care less about the report of my rifle. The elk doesn’t hear it, he’s dead before the sound could even get there.

Prairie dogs are a different story, when you hammer them for hours, suppression becomes more relevant. I just got my first suppressor for my 204 Ruger and soon I will take a bunch of my varmint rifles to the gunsmith and have him thread them up for the suppressor. I won’t cut any barrels, just thread them as I want every inch of velocity in my varmint rifles, and off a bench, the additional length is of no consequence.

$800.00 and a year wait for a suppressor makes me see the economy of one suppressor on multiple guns…

View attachment 277459
The problem I found with using a suppressor on PD’s is that in high volume shooting, the suppressor gets hot very fast and throws my accuracy off. In lower volume situations, they are great.

I cut some of my varmint barrels to accommodate suppressors, others I left unthreaded. My opinion is uncut is ridiculously long(But we don’t shoot off benches). Also, for me anyway, bullet placement is way more important than fps.

The great thing about PD shooting is all of the different ways of having a great shoot.

Back