To cut or not to cut, that is the question. Suppressor & Barrel Length

blueridge

I just got my suppressor in yesterday (6" Harvester EVO) and now am looking at my different rifles to decide which ones to modify. I would love some input from you all that use them on your hunting rifles. Should I thread them all? Skip some? Keep them long? Cut some down? To what length? Here are my candidates:

22-250 w/ 22" barrel. This is my varmint gun. Shooting sub-sonics would defeat the purpose of the cartridge (I get 3900fps w/ 50gr Vmax), so it would primarily let me see impacts and reduce the crack, but would definitely not be a silent killer.

7mm-08 w/ 22" barrel. This is my deer rifle. Classic walnut stock. 2950fps with 140gr HH's.

280AI with 22" barrel. This is my primary western big game rifle. Shoots 143gr HH's at 3000fps.

300WSM with 24" barrel. This is my backup big game rifle and would be my go to when I am lucky enough to draw a oryx or maybe a bison. Shoots 166gr HHs at 3140fps.

If I cut the barrel and add the suppressor, what would be the effect on velocity?

@brockel and others? What say you?

Honestly you might as well thread them all because once you shoot suppressed with one you are going to want to do them all. I’d cut everyone of them off at least 20”. Figure you will lose 50fps going down to 20” with them. The 300 wsm will probably lose 75-100fps. My favorite gun I have right now is a 17” 22-250 which is shooting 53 grain hornady hollow points at 3650fps. Just threw a load together for the 20” 6.5 creedbro this morning. 143 eldx at 2600fps with enough room to go up on charge. I’ll never shoot another rifle unsuppressed if I can help it.

How easy will it be to just install it each time you need it? If you shorten the barrel will the gun fit into your gun case with the suppressor installed? I assume there will be no issue with using it on any of your rifles.

I probably wouldn't cut the 22-250 because I typically don't hunt with a 22 in places where barrel length would bother me. Between the 7 08 and 280 I'd cut one of them to 16"- 18". Maybe the 7-08 would perform better short?
The 300wsm would be cut to 18-20" if at all possible. (Check what min barrel length your can is rated for)
I figure I can always cut the others later if I find myself not grabbing them because of length.

Honestly you might as well thread them all because once you shoot suppressed with one you are going to want to do them all. I’d cut everyone of them off at least 20”. Figure you will lose 50fps going down to 20” with them. The 300 wsm will probably lose 75-100fps. My favorite gun I have right now is a 17” 22-250 which is shooting 53 grain hornady hollow points at 3650fps. Just threw a load together for the 20” 6.5 creedbro this morning. 143 eldx at 2600fps with enough room to go up on charge. I’ll never shoot another rifle unsuppressed if I can help it.
Not to hijack but was having a similar thought... would you cut a tikka veil .300 win to 20" comes with a factory threaded barrel at 24" ?

Losing the same 75-100fps?

Not to hijack but was having a similar thought... would you cut a tikka veil .300 win to 20" comes with a factory threaded barrel at 24" ?

Losing the same 75-100fps?
I would if you wanna go suppressed and once you do it you will only wanna shoot suppressed. You nor any game animal will never know that the bullet hit 100fps slower.

I wouldn’t cut a rifle barrel and give up the velocity.

Adding A suppressor doesn’t make the rifle that much longer.

I'll break the trend a bit - I'd only do one or 2 until you figure out just how much you like hunting with a suppressor. Maybe the 280ai @ 19-20" would be a good start? The hunting rifle I've used a can on most is a 22" 7 SAUM and it is longer than I want to deal with most of the time with a can.

I've had a TBAC ultra 7 for 4 years now and have hunted more without it than with it and most of my rifles are threaded (but not real short). I still like it with certain applications/rifles but find I'll take the extra velocity, less weight, more convenient handling, and noisier rifle in many cases while hunting.

Thanks for the thoughts everyone. I appreciate it! Will give it some thought.

Q: if I cut 4” off the 280ai or the 300wsm, will I have to start my load development over again from scratch?

Thanks for the thoughts everyone. I appreciate it! Will give it some thought.

Q: if I cut 4” off the 280ai or the 300wsm, will I have to start my load development over again from scratch?
It'll likely need adjusted. If you plan on shooting with a suppressor, do your load development with the suppressor.

Back