PEAX Equipment

Quick release scope rings. Any advice?

OntarioHunter

The replacement barrel I put on my Springfield this summer has a nice high ramp front sight.
20210819_160217.jpg
I want to pick up quick detach (QD) scope rings and quick attach rear peep sight so I have a handy backup sighting system. It would also allow me to hunt in crappy weather without worrying about optics getting fogged/wet. Just pop off the scope, put it in my daypack, and dig out the peep. I'm not interested in the QD bases. The 375 I used in Africa has QD Leopold base and I found it a little bit high. I did manage to shoot my buffalo on the run with it but had to hunt for reticle. Also, I'm sure it would be nigh onto impossible to find a QD base made today that fits onto a WWII military receiver. My Springfield is a perfect fit right now. Gun goes to shoulder and I instantly see the crosshairs. Hopefully I can find a way to duplicate that with QD iron sights.

Other options I've discarded: 1) Have someone solder or tap a rear leaf sight onto the barrel. The problem is the scope has a fat bell that would require mounting the sight well ahead on the barrel which would likely not work with my bifocals. 2) Have a gunsmith dovetail the barrel and add a drop leaf rear sight under the scope to be popped up when scope is detached. A lot of expense and bother for a system that I'm not sure would work for me until I try it.

An outfit in New England makes this quick attach peep sight that should mount on rear Weaver base fairly close to my eye.
Weaver Peep Lrg-1.jpg
Lots of other manufacturers out there for peeps and ghost ring detachable sights that would snap on Weaver base but they're designed for AR style rifles and WAY too high. I have found an appropriate sight in ghost ring but totally unfamiliar with that style. Aren't they designed for quick close shooting? I would prefer a V leaf style but apparently no one makes them in the right height.

Anybody have experience with QD rings? Any other suggestions?

At this point I'm considering either Warne or Leopold QD rings.
41U9HcaM+rL._AC_SY1000_.jpgWarne rings
41WJ27egZCL._AC_SY1000_.jpgLeopold rings

The Warne rings look a bit high?

Last edited:
I use the Warne on a couple of my rifles and Leupold actually recommended them because I was having issues with their's. Another thumbs up for Leupold customer service. If their product doesn't fit the bill they will recommend one that does!

Unless there is a valid reason not to I would strongly prefer rings that "bolt" together horizontally rather than vertically, hence the Leupolds would be my choice.

I've had a set of Talley quick detach rings on a CZ 550 for a long time and they work well. I always check zero when reattaching them but haven't ever had the POI change.

Warne QR Lever rings used them for years here in Alaska with the good Warne steel Maxima bases. Used this setup on Marlin 45/70 and several bolt actions and a Knight MK 85 Muzzleloader. All with Leupold VX 3 scopes.

Last edited:
Seen one of those picatinny rail setups on a guy's muzzleloader in Colorado back in 2010.

He had a front true-glow sight, but it seemed more than a bit odd to me that he didn't have a rear peep sight.....He seemed startled to see me and he didn't stick around long enough to chat.

I would have loved to have known what scope he was packing in his backpack...

Back