Questions on Scope Details

flux

I am brand new to shooting/hunting, trying to pick the right scope but overwhelmed by all of the options, would really appreciate the communities input before I make a decision. I just got a Tikka T3X Lite Stainless in 308 for Colorado elk hunting and I think I want to add a Leupold VX-3i 3.5-10x40.

Do you recommend getting the model with CDS? I have never shot more than 50 yards before so it is hard for me to comprehend the benefits, I know I have a lot of practice ahead of me. I could afford a VX-5HD but it just seems like more scope than I need as a beginner?

Is a duplex reticle best for a beginner due to simplicity?

Is there any downside to aluminum bases/rings aside from cost? I am trying to save weight as I will be doing all of my hunting on foot for the foreseeable future.

Leupold offers a one piece base/ring or a cross-slot rail. The rail would be heavier but I think it would offer more adjustability when mounting my scope, are there any other factors to consider?

-Chris

I think you're on the right track, I hunted all my life using 3-9X40 scopes with duplex reticles, usually shooting under 250 yards and just recently have gotten interested in expanding my range so have gotten into the adjustable turret style scopes. For a beginner I'd say stick with no CDS and no side focus (parallax) knob. I think the VX-3 line will be fine, just looked through the 4.5-14X40 of a friend's, nicer than anything I hunted with for my first 25 years, in a few years if you want to start expanding range and learning about MOAs or MRADs you can upgrade. If you can afford the VX-5, you can afford good rings.

I'll answer some of your questions:

- You are likely to have this scope a long time so think what will hinder me as a new shooter, more than what do I need
- I have a CDS but don't even know how much I'll use it. Not ordering it for current rifle.
- If scope is dialable, you are good. It was revolutionary when I could dial for distance. Pick MOA or mil and learn it. I see advantages of mil, but for a hunter, MOA is easy math in my head with sufficient accuracy

I like the wind plex and don't think have tick marks for wind will bother you at all compared to duplex. Easy to ignore. Complicated grids would be a different story.

I went with VX-5HD and wow is it clear but it's more expensive and I believe heavier. Many experienced hunters here choose V-3i.

3.5-10x40 is a fine range for hunting

Lots of good videos on mounting a scope. I have the Wheeler level kit and it is well worth the money. You will find yourself continually finding tools you need at first, or at least the make it easier. You can level the scope with any bubble level and a plumb bob but the wheeler kit is easy. I bought a torgue screw driver - more money. But, I have a couple scopes that I move around and having the right tools makes it easy. If you have one rifle and one scope, it may be worth paying someone to mount it if you don't have a friend who is qualified to help.

Rings: lots of opinions with some common ground and some debate. For the most part, you get what you pay for. I have DNZ reapers on a rifle and a muzzleloader and they are easy to mount and mine are a one piece. I've used Vortex Pro with success. You need to have room to adjust for eye relief but .308 shouldn't be as big of a deal. I went with VX-5HD partly for greater eye relief.

I agree with all that has been mentioned by kwyeewyk. Get good rings. The Tikkas are great rifles but the rings suck for anything more than the smaller calibers.

I have the very scope that you are asking about, but without dials. You don’t need dials unless you’re shooting over 300 yards. I’d rather put that money towards a VX5 than spend money on dials, but that is personal preference and definitely not a need

I really like Sportsmatch Rings on my Tikka. Easy to install and the recoil pin is a good addition. TO48C is the model you'd need for a 1" scope like the VX-3i

If I was you I wouldnt get CDS. In fact I have more than 15 VX3’s at least 6 are VX3 3.5-10x40 s no cds. I refer to that as my standard do it all scope. You cant go wrong with that scope. i use Talley LW rings and bases on most rifles but I have a few warnes and Talley steel rings as well.

Back