MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Time to upgrade pickup?

The engine brake in the diesels are amazing and I really miss it. Ive towed up to 11,000 lbs with my f-150. Squatted it pretty good and had shitty fuel economy, but went right uphil at 70. Steep downhill is a little sketchy without an engine brake and that much weight though. Those 1/2 tons are pretty light.

I'm starting to poke around also. I have an '18 Tacoma with 106k so it still looks and drives like new but want to get an RV and one bigger than my taco can pull. I've had both a Titan (2012) and Tundra (2013) and would take the Titan all day every day over the Tundra. With Nissan discontinuing the Titan and its anemic 26-gallon gas tank, it's pretty much out of the running. I'll never own anther Ford or Chevy, so I'm down to Tundra or Ram, and probably a 2500 gas model. I'm not sold on the twin turbo V6 so at the moment I'm leaning Ram. I don't really need to do anything until 2025 so will continue to research and see how things go.
Ive owned 4 rams. 1977/1998/2013/2019. I had to put a transmission in every single one of them. 2 in the 1998.

I
I have almost 213k on my 2012 Tacoma; trying to make it to 300k or more before I buy another or a Tundra.

I do have the new truck bug though. Been building different makes and models out on factory websites.
I've had the '89 and '98 Tacoma with both over 150k, they would go anywhere I had the courage to go. Not one issue. Never. I must of needed therapy badly or didn't take my medicine. Sold both of them. Wish I still had both of them!

Throw this idea out there.
My last pickup i bought was a used Chevy Duramax 2500 crew cab. 8 ft bed
I put high rise cap on it.

I will never ever own anything ever again without 8 ft bed.. Amazing to have a truck that can haul so much..
Especially plywood and 2x4s that fit with Tailgate closed...

I will never ever own anything ever again without 8 ft bed.. Amazing to have a truck that can haul so much..
Yah I've got a 6.5 now. Next one I'll go back to 8' .

I suck at parking too much to own long bed

The problem is using them in the mountains. A long bed with a crew cab is a pain in the ass on tight forest service roads.

If you just had to have a 2023 Raptor, financing it for 5 years at current rates would be around $1850 a month. In 5 years, that 100k truck will depreciate to around 50k, 10k loss every year/$833 a month. Add the 2 together and you're really putting $2683 towards owning that vehicle. I know a couple people who bought Raptors with not much of a down payment ( because they have no money) just because they had to have it.

I don't think buying a new Raptor is a good financial decision for 98% of people, but that math doesn't add up. Literally.

I don't think buying a new Raptor is a good financial decision for 98% of people, but that math doesn't add up. Literally.
100k loan for 5 years at 5% is around $1850/ month. A 5 year old raptor can be had for 50k, that's 50,000 depreciation in 5 years. I know that my example isn't exactly how finances work, but the numbers from that way of looking at it add up. To me, depreciation is a loss just as a vehicle payment is.Screenshot_20231211_194022_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:
The depreciation + the interest + the opportunity cost of having the money tied up in a vehicle is the cost. For total cost of ownership you should add in insurance, fuel, maintenance, and upgrades/accessories.

To figure out how much something cost you, you don't add how much it cost you to buy to the amount it depreciated.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
K9TXS
Back