Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Time to upgrade pickup?

@mtmuley stopped by my place to show me his new Santa Cruz the other day. I don't know much about Korean cars, but he sure was excited. Kept talking about how many cupholders it had.

When I read Santa Cruz I was thinking he jumped on the e-bike train:

I have an 09 with 223k and it takes a beating at times. I’m planning on using it for at-least another 80k. Then probably retire to strictly hunting rig.

I can expense a new truck with my business but it’s hard to swallow the pill of what trucks cost right now. For personal use I don’t ever see myself getting anything but a Toyota. I will likely have to get a bigger truck for the business though because of the lack of towing capacity on the tundra.

I ha e a 2010 tacoma, 178k, only thing wrong is the cd player needs help to eje t a cd.

OP did your toyota go through the frame recall? If so you get all new wiring and hoses and belts. I figure that alone is worth another 100k on its life

My wife knows my sexual preference, my insurance company knows my medical history (and they probably want me dead), my calendar is boring while my text messages are often hilarious. If they can find someone dumb enough to buy that info, go for it. Maybe I can get a free oil change or something?

I’m from a generation that was obsessed with getting rid of commercials. We invented the VCR and never watched anything live so we could fast forward through the commercials. Now millennials are trying to save a buck by getting ads in their viewing. WTF! We are going backwards. I dont like being sold to and anyone buying that data won’t get a single cent from me unless it is something I need, and I don’t need much. And Im not much afraid of the government because I try to stay pretty clean on my taxes. Sounds like I’m a bit of an anomaly?
I'm surprised I haven't worn out the mute button.

Can't afford a new truck and don't want the new ones...well BF could gift me his Raptor....LOL!
Rebuilding my old Tacoma to better than new. Before stuff starts going south. Suspension and all underneath 1st.

Fellas, I'm looking for some advice on potentially upgrading my pickup. I've got a 2013 Tundra with 153k miles on it. The pickup has been completely reliable the entire time I've owned it.

I've been trying to hold off the desire to trade it in or sell it outright but the wandering mind hasn't gone away. I've been looking at the 21-22ish Tundras as well as the Titans. If I had to pick right now I would probably go with the Titan.

What are your thoughts?

My thoughts, hold your current Tundra for another year while you continue to shop. If the choices are Nissan or another Tundra, go Tundra, and I'd lean Gen3, but a late Gen2 with a 5.7L will always be desirable and hold value.....outside of the gas station.

I was super close to buying a new 2022, even though I almost every car I bought has been 6 years old. They'll certainly have some quirks because of the change, but it's a tundra and will always have availability for parts, labor and resale value.

And that's the reason I would avoid the titan with Nissan discontinuing them next year.

Yeah, I was thinking wtf is muley buying a mt bike for? Oh the horror.
I just assumed it was so he could get a little closer to an Elk for him to make his famous frontal shots he is known for😂.

Seriously though, I just spent my first season in a new "smart" pickup after always using an older rig for years with no tech other than a radio.

The technology is incredible in town and on the highway. I love all the parking cameras, Android auto, adaptive cruise etc. on road trips. All that crap (other than Android Auto) absolutely blows in the mountains though. I road hunted a bunch this year, and the constant dinging, chirping, auto-braking while putting around drove me absolutely mad.

If I could afford it, I'd love to have a ~2010 Tacoma or Frontier for hunting, and a new half ton for daily driving and towing.

I get it, its a lot. I paid 43k for my 19 ram diesel brand new. But, Its nice to not have to worry about anything. I think of it as an asset. If I keep it for 5 years and can still get 30-40k out of it, its worth it to me.
Thats all that matters It was just an observation on how high truck prices have gotten.

3 years ago I finally let loose my '03 Tundra. Mostly because my son was growing like a weed and wouldn't fit in the 'access cab' backseat comfortably any more. I more or less only looked at Tundras and Titans. The specs are nearly identical for what was important for me.

I tried the 'lightly used' route first via a car-broker friend. Unpleasant experience at that time given demand. Just nothing reasonable out there (seems similar to now).

I took my wifes Armada to Nissan for something and they had a Pro-4X that I liked on the lot (recall, in late 2020, the dealer lots were mostly empty). Ended up taking home a new '21. At the time - the incentives were awesome, so ended up getting a screaming deal. Have loved every minute of it. I miss the slimmer/lighter tundra on gnarly mountain roads but that's about the only place I miss it. Zero major issues, a couple minor things under warranty, so much quieter and comfortable, and very capable for everything I've asked it to do. Have put 67K on it in 37 months.

I'd planned to upgrade to a '23 or '24 Titan when they did the next big overhaul, but...
And that's the reason I would avoid the titan with Nissan discontinuing them next year.

I'm sure there will be deals and I may be tempted when the '24s go on fire sale, but mentally hard to buy a new truck when the manufacturer is dropping the model. As a family we kind of stumbled into Nissan with the Armada and then a couple of XTerras for my daughter (1st one became a total POS, but not the trucks fault), and now the Titan, and have been happy with all of them.

The technology is incredible in town and on the highway. I love all the parking cameras, Android auto, adaptive cruise etc. on road trips. All that crap (other than Android Auto) absolutely blows in the mountains though. I road hunted a bunch this year, and the constant dinging, chirping, auto-braking while putting around drove me absolutely mad.

I was able to turn off my seatbelt ding with a buckle/unbuckle sequence. My "check back seat" ding was controlled by the settings in the dash display. I need to kill my door ding, but I need to plug into the computer to do that one.

I was able to turn off my seatbelt ding with a buckle/unbuckle sequence. My "check back seat" ding was controlled by the settings in the dash display. I need to kill my door ding, but I need to plug into the computer to do that one.

Carista app with a bluetooth dongle will do most of it for you on the 3rd gen.

@abqbw was showing me a switch he added to his F250 that completely killed all sensors, alarms, daytime running lights etc. That would be awesome to have.

Definitely an unfortunate downside to Nissan though, is the lack of aftermarket stuff like that. I can't find anything similar to add, and I've messed with all the settings.

The door ajar ding and backup sensor are the two that really kill me. The backup has a kill switch, but it resets every time you shift. So on a 3-point turn you have to hit it 3 times, otherwise it slams on the brakes when it sees the road bank or even grass. It's ridiculous.

have a 2nd gen 2010 Tundra TRD with 125k miles and no plans to upgrade any time soon. Just nothing wrong with it.

Did add all new suspension with a little lift a couple years ago making even better for western hunts.

Back