Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Time to upgrade pickup?

I’m in the same boat. 2014 Tacoma with 198k and it’s never missed a beat but at some point you have to wonder. It’s been the best truck I’ve ever owned and would just as soon not have to move all my stuff into a new one but don’t want to get stranded either. Hopefully it’ll stay strong until interest rates drop! Leaning toward a Tundra next time..

Cam tower oil leak?
I can't remember exactly. I just know I was researching last year about this time and it kept coming up. Bad seal somewhere that was hard to reach, so not a cheap fix. Add to that I don't know much about vehicles and you get my vague answer. I went with a Ford, but it has had issues as well so it isn't a judgement on brand. Just check the CarFax and know what problems that model has had is about all I can offer.

I can't remember exactly. I just know I was researching last year about this time and it kept coming up. Bad seal somewhere that was hard to reach, so not a cheap fix. Add to that I don't know much about vehicles and you get my vague answer. I went with a Ford, but it has had issues as well so it isn't a judgement on brand. Just check the CarFax and know what problems that model has had is about all I can offer.
Cam tower leak is the only one I’m aware of, not to say there wasn’t something else. It was about a $3,500 fix to replace a $15 RTV sealant. Lots of tundras had it, but honestly it wasn't a big deal unless it actually started leaking onto the frame and exhaust manifold. Vast majority of the time it was just a “seep” that gathered dust around back end of the cam tower from sweating oil. Mine was fixed under warranty. Even in mine, you’d never notice when changing oil, didn’t let out enough oil to change oil level.

Edit: majority of the time it looked like this, you could see it by looking behind the wheel well. Just a little dirty oily film on your cam tower with some staining on your heat shield. The one in this photo is actually relatively bad. Mine was probably a little less than this.
IMG_6753.jpeg

Last edited:
I'm in that boat, alimony stops soon, a new truck ro replace my paid off 14 ram sounds nice. Then I look at truck prices and the $1000 a month payment unless i put 30k down, and waiting a few more years wins me over

Don't accept anything with onboard 5G or a "connected driving experience" or you'll never really own the truck. By pushing over the air updates without your knowledge or acceptance, the manufacturer can change the configuration, features, or characteristics of your vehicle at will. Some of these changes can be surprising or even dangerous.

If the vehicle you desire does have a mandatory connection, insist on an opt out for data collection and sharing. You'd be amazed and alarmed at the type and amount of information modern cars are steali... er, sharing.

Don't accept anything with onboard 5G or a "connected driving experience" or you'll never really own the truck. By pushing over the air updates without your knowledge or acceptance, the manufacturer can change the configuration, features, or characteristics of your vehicle at will. Some of these changes can be surprising or even dangerous.

If the vehicle you desire does have a mandatory connection, insist on an opt out for data collection and sharing. You'd be amazed and alarmed at the type and amount of information modern cars are steali... er, sharing.
I can’t think of anything I’m worried about less than my truck sharing data with the manufacturer.

There’s a paid off ‘17 Tundra sitting in my RV parking spot, that only gets used for family camping, hunting, and runs to Grandma’s house - gets about 8k miles a year. I’m guessing it’ll be just fine for my boys to start driving when they hit 15.

Probably could sell it for more than I paid 4 years ago, but then I wouldn’t have my hunting stuff packed and ready whenever I got the itch.

The 2nd gen tundras are phenomenal.

The 3rd gens are better.

My brother had a superchargerd 2018 platinum and now has a 2022 hybrid limited. He wouldn't go back to the 5.7.

The new features on the TRD OR package are absolutely killer.

I have almost 213k on my 2012 Tacoma; trying to make it to 300k or more before I buy another or a Tundra.

I do have the new truck bug though. Been building different makes and models out on factory websites.

I don't think I'll ever buy a brand new truck again.
I bought a brand new 23 f-150. Put 40k down and got 0% interest on the rest. 60 months of all maintenance and oil changes paid. I love it. Dont have to worry about paying a penny for 5 years. Truck rides a lot better than the 19 ram diesel I had ( which was always in the shop).

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FelixMarvin
Back