PEAX Equipment

Inconvenient Job Transfer in the middle of hunting season! Missoula to Bozeman! Seeking advice on what I've been doing, even a hunting buddy!

I drive from Billings three hours one way to hunt elk. And it’s only been recently I get into them consistently. I’m lucky but not as lucky as you.

This strays from the OP a little bit, and may sound like boasting, and I don't mean it that way. Let me preface this with the obvious that I am no great hunter, but I was talking to my brother last night about this thread.' It's a testament to how lucky a guy can be, and I how I could never voluntarily leave this luck. And the responses above show how lucky you are.

I've killed 15 elk, 11 of which were within 45 minutes of where I currently live -most within 30. I recently shot a bull where I was hiking 15 minutes from my front door.
I've shot probably 50 deer, and only for 5 or 6 did I drive more than an hour. Most were within a 20 minute drive, a dozen or so were hiking out the back door of my child hood home.
Monday I plan on jumping a few waterbodies 20 minutes away for ducks, a 20 minute drive beyond that hunting some blues on the high ridges, and if I have time driving 20 more minutes to get some huns.

If I had to drive hours just to hunt I'd hunt way less. I lived in Bozeman for a while. You're surrounded by opportunity.

Thanks for the replies everyone! I typed this message with the skewed perspective of my personal peer-group of Montana friends and hunters. As you can imagine, a common conversation between us is discussing spots regionally, including long-drive spots, and local day spots. It was my fault for not considering so many of you out there who would love to have a three hour drive to hunt elk. I did not mean to come off as pretentious!

And you all were right! I drove back to one of my old faithful spots and shot a raghorn with my bow this last Saturday. Next summer I'll scout more about Bozeman, but I will also savor and revisit my old spots. Thanks all and good luck this fall!

Attachments

• IMG_2442.jpg
    IMG_2442.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 21
Last edited:
Thanks for the replies everyone! I typed this message with the skewed perspective of my personal peer-group of Montana friends and hunters. As you can imagine, a common conversation between us is discussing spots regionally, including long-drive spots, and local day spots. It was my fault for not considering so many of you out there who would love to have a three hour drive to hunt elk. I did not mean to come off as pretentious!

And you all were right! I drove back to one of my old faithful spots and shot a raghorn with my bow this last Saturday. Next summer I'll scout more about Bozeman, but I will also savor and revisit my old spots. Thanks all and good luck this fall!
Well done! Congratulations.

So next time if really seeking help ... post a thread about an actual problem.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wyohandscold
Back