Caribou Gear

Time to upgrade pickup?

I've driven a crewcab down a skid trail, roads are cake.
I think it’s all in the persons comfort level and willingness to actually use the truck and put some marks on it.
On my elk hunt I took my Tacoma on some pretty steep and loose forest service roads and it’s the only time I put it in 4 low the whole decade I’ve owned it.
I passed a few big rigs daily on the way down and talked to a few; it was a mixture of not wanting to scratch the truck or concerned about size/weight that kept them from going up. Yet I did see another Tacoma and a stock f150 with two older guys up there every day like it was no big deal.

Sounds like you have another 100k for the dependable Tundra.🤷‍♂️

185k on my ‘16. As much as I want a ‘24, I don’t have a good reason and interest rates are helping me with that decision.
Research HEAVILY before diving into a new model year. I think once you do youll run in the opposite direction. I had one on order and all kinds of negative came outta the woodwork. Including Toyota mechanics. Bit the bullet and went with a new 2023 F250 4X4 6.7 powerstroke. 21 mpg and sooooo glad I did. Hellova truck

Attachments

• 20230428_115524.jpg
    20230428_115524.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 10
Id trade my truck for a 3/4 ton yota. Stopped at the toyota dealership to pick up a part for my FIL (yota family). Sales guy asked if I wanted to look at some trucks and trade in my chevy. As much as Im not a fan of the chevy, I asked what toyota can tow 15,000 lbs with a diesel engine.

Also, why cant toyota bring the diesel engine they use around the world over here?! Such a shame.

Pfff... I've driven a '72 Ford Gran Torino down a semi-dry creek bed to go fishing at the river. Some of my truck stories could curl your hair!
My father-in-law still has a Gran Torino he bought brand new in 1971. He has pictures of it with deer strapped to the back. It was his only vehicle back then.

Don’t ever want to get the diesel stuck…
Boy Howdy! We buried a 1 ton Dodge to the grill once in the badlands. Had to walk 3 miles in gumbo to get the Rancher. He brought his Ford Tractor. It didn’t even rev up to pull us out! Won’t do that again! He laughed and shook his head at us. 😔

Waiting for someone to pipe up and say their 3/4 ton diesel is the ultimate in the mountains.
Okay, maybe, with 800 lbs of sandbags over the rear axle and chains .😉
Lol. My 3/4 ton diesel is worthless on my driveway if it is icy.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back