Time to upgrade pickup?

Yep, this thread answered it for me. I’ll stick with my original plan of 250k or bust.
Change your diff fluid at max every 50k(do it now if you haven’t), flush your coolant, brake fluid, make sure you do oil changes, change out your spark plugs if you haven’t yet, watch for U joints needing to be replaced. Hit me up if you wanna do some of that stuff on your own. I can walk you through some of it.

Fellas, I'm looking for some advice on potentially upgrading my pickup. I've got a 2013 Tundra with 153k miles on it. The pickup has been completely reliable the entire time I've owned it.
I have a 2012 with 177k. I bought it new and plan to drive it "forever", IDK when they added a screen into every truck on the market, but I'd like to avoid that like the plague. KISS

@neffa3, life is too short. You can’t take it with you. ;)

I’m driving a 2004 Silverado 2500 that I purchased with 25,000 miles on it in 2008. I paid $17,000 cash.

It now has 228,000 miles on it and I am beyond over it. I bought an economical commuter car about 5 years ago that I use for the vast majority of my driving now. I think I put about 3000 miles on the Chevy in the last year.

I think I’m ready to take on my first car payment in 28 years, and at the rate I drive my truck now, it might be my forever truck until they put me in the old folks home…

Change your diff fluid at max every 50k(do it now if you haven’t), flush your coolant, brake fluid, make sure you do oil changes, change out your spark plugs if you haven’t yet, watch for U joints needing to be replaced. Hit me up if you wanna do some of that stuff on your own. I can walk you through some of it.

This, as much as I physically beat the snot out of my truck, I always kept up with maintenance. I needed U-joints at 180k. If it wasn't starting to make some funny noises due to rodents (nested and or ate the secondary air injection system and HVAC system), and a stupid deal on an F250 falling in my lap I'd still be driving it.

@neffa3, life is too short. You can’t take it with you. ;)

I’m driving a 2004 Silverado 2500 that I purchased with 25,000 miles on it in 2008. I paid $17,000 cash.

It now has 228,000 miles on it and I am beyond over it. I bought an economical commuter car about 5 years ago that I use for the vast majority of my driving now. I think I put about 3000 miles on the Chevy in the last year.

I think I’m ready to take on my first car payment in 28 years, and at the rate I drive my truck now, it might be my forever truck until they put me in the old folks home…
Well it's a shiterado, I can't believe you even made 200k. YOu definitely deserve a better truck.

But we're talking a toyota here, apples and IPAs, totally different.

I'd love to own one myself, and run it to the ground, i think they are great pickups. Just we had a dealer nearby

If you just had to have a 2023 Raptor, financing it for 5 years at current rates would be around $1850 a month. In 5 years, that 100k truck will depreciate to around 50k, 10k loss every year/$833 a month. Add the 2 together and you're really putting $2683 towards owning that vehicle. I know a couple people who bought Raptors with not much of a down payment ( because they have no money) just because they had to have it.

Fellas, I'm looking for some advice on potentially upgrading my pickup. I've got a 2013 Tundra with 153k miles on it. The pickup has been completely reliable the entire time I've owned it.

I've been trying to hold off the desire to trade it in or sell it outright but the wandering mind hasn't gone away. I've been looking at the 21-22ish Tundras as well as the Titans. If I had to pick right now I would probably go with the Titan.

What are your thoughts?
I have a 2010 Tundra, really solid truck. I am also looking to buy something newer but that Tundra ain't going anywhere.
Excellent hunting rig, nothing off roads like Toyotas.

I have 85,000 on my 2018 Tundra with the 5.7. I’ll drive it until the wheels fall off, and then I’ll probably piece it back together for a hunting rig. Thankfully I drive my work car home to save miles on the pickup for fun stuff.

I bought a brand new 23 f-150. Put 40k down and got 0% interest on the rest. 60 months of all maintenance and oil changes paid. I love it. Dont have to worry about paying a penny for 5 years. Truck rides a lot better than the 19 ram diesel I had ( which was always in the shop).

I get it, its a lot. I paid 43k for my 19 ram diesel brand new. But, Its nice to not have to worry about anything. I think of it as an asset. If I keep it for 5 years and can still get 30-40k out of it, its worth it to me.
That's what I do with our work trucks. Cycle them before problems. May be retiring soon. Won't need the diesel anymore. Just not sure. Still want something that will pull an enclosed trailer and UTV.
Also like the tow and engine brake.

@abqbw was showing me a switch he added to his F250 that completely killed all sensors, alarms, daytime running lights etc. That would be awesome to have.

Definitely an unfortunate downside to Nissan though, is the lack of aftermarket stuff like that. I can't find anything similar to add, and I've messed with all the settings.

The door ajar ding and backup sensor are the two that really kill me. The backup has a kill switch, but it resets every time you shift. So on a 3-point turn you have to hit it 3 times, otherwise it slams on the brakes when it sees the road bank or even grass. It's ridiculous.
Wait until you hook up a trailer and maneuver, or back a boat down the ramp, even a stupid bike carrier.
Small piece of tape works magic, though it upsets the truck.

That's what I do with our work trucks. Cycle them before problems. May be retiring soon. Won't need the diesel anymore. Just not sure. Still want something that will pull an enclosed trailer and UTV.
Also like the tow and engine brake.
The engine brake in the diesels are amazing and I really miss it. Ive towed up to 11,000 lbs with my f-150. Squatted it pretty good and had shitty fuel economy, but went right uphil at 70. Steep downhill is a little sketchy without an engine brake and that much weight though. Those 1/2 tons are pretty light.

I'm starting to poke around also. I have an '18 Tacoma with 106k so it still looks and drives like new but want to get an RV and one bigger than my taco can pull. I've had both a Titan (2012) and Tundra (2013) and would take the Titan all day every day over the Tundra. With Nissan discontinuing the Titan and its anemic 26-gallon gas tank, it's pretty much out of the running. I'll never own anther Ford or Chevy, so I'm down to Tundra or Ram, and probably a 2500 gas model. I'm not sold on the twin turbo V6 so at the moment I'm leaning Ram. I don't really need to do anything until 2025 so will continue to research and see how things go.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ak2021
Back