Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Things that run through my mind while at work...

chrispbrown27

Fridays are always a slow day for me at work. I pass the time listening to audiobooks or podcasts. Today I was listening to the vortex podcast. At one point, they were talking about the effectiveness of the 30-30. It started me thinking about it as an elk round. A quick internet search brings up multiple forum posts where someone asks about using a 30-30 for elk and they are inevitably crucified for even suggesting that a 30-30 could handle an elk. By the same token, a while back there was a post where someone mentioned using a shotgun with slugs for elk hunting. Being originally from Illinois and having been limited to deer hunting with shotguns, I am very familiar with the effectiveness of shotgun slugs within reasonable ranges. This post resulted in the same crucifixion of the poster and anyone else that was pro-shotgun. Often, the same person that decries the use of a shotgun for elk, sees a bow as a perfectly legitimate option for the same animal.
Now, I fully understand that a rifle gives you a lot more range and for that reason gives you an increased chance at filling a tag. I will also say that as a non-resident hunter I am not going to pack a shotgun on a trip that I have traveled hours for and might only happen every couple of years. But, if I were a resident that hunts every year I wouldn't hesitate to use a 30-30 or even a shotgun with slugs if that's what I had or if I wanted to increase the challenge slightly.
So, that's where my mind drifted to for the last two hours...

I agree with you.
I have killed 7 bucks with a shotgun, all one shot and done.
No elk but 2 bucks killed with my grandfathers original model 1894 3p-30. Again one shot kills.
I love hunting with that old gun, the first kill i had with it my Grandad was still alive. He carried that rifle fo 6 years in Alaska in the 1920's.
Lots of memories, thanks for this on a Friday in 2022.

Being in a rifle deer state now, I normally pack my .308, but at least once a season I will pack my grandpa's 870 wingmaster just to feel like he is still out there with me. With it's fixed full choke it is a turkey slayer even with only a 2 3/4 inch chamber. I killed my first deer with it many years ago and it still lays them low every chance it gets.
Gouch, you are absolutely correct and it's a shame as hunters that we attack the people that we should support the most... other hunters.

I’m working on a 336 in 30-30 for deer season now. I’ve never shot one with open sights and wanted to increase the challenge instead of the technology this season.

If I can get proficient enough I wouldn’t hesitate to use that 30-30 on elk with a good bullet. (partitions) People shoot them with arrows and traditional black powder rifles, the 30-30 will be fine within its range. Plus what’s cooler than taking an animal with a storied rifle? (Uncle’s 30-30)

I have a friend that refuses to buy a used gun. That amazes me, because, to me, a used gun has a history and character that just doesn't exist with a shiny new gun. Especially when someone you know used it. Good luck with that 30-30.

My first big game gun was a Marlin 30/30 and used it for years. Wish I still had that gun because now that I live in Montana I would surely use it for anything up here. Never had a single problem putting the biggest buck down with it.

Why would anyone be crucified for using a 30-30 on elk? thats stupid. That is plenty gun to kill an elk. Might take a couple shots of it gets a little western but it will do the job, no doubt about that.

It’s like everything else you take in the woods, get proficient with it, understand it’s kill limitations, and hunt.

If anyone tells you that you “absolutely must have a .300 win mag, 7mm mag, ect” to kill an elk they don’t know that they are talking about.

Sure, if you wanna take plenty of gun, take them. I tote a 7mm mag, but I also took a 25-06 when I was a kid. So yes a 30-30 will kill an elk.

Why would anyone be crucified for using a 30-30 on elk? thats stupid. That is plenty gun to kill an elk. Might take a couple shots of it gets a little western but it will do the job, no doubt about that.
Look at what guys are using these days. Lightweight, carbon, chassis, suppressors, Hubble scopes and have to shoot under .5 MOA with the most slippery bullet available. A lever. 30? Can't be done. mtmuley

A friend's dad that did a fair amount of elk hunting in late 80s to 90s is a firm believer that an 06 is on the low end of an elk caliber. He had some issues with knocking a cow down with his during one hunt and now recommends against using it on elk. I have not asked him specifically about what bullet he was using, but I have a feeling that it had more to do with the bullet than the caliber. He was not rolling in money at the time and at that timeframe I assume he was using corlokts or another cup and core bullet. Now, I know that corlokts are perfectly capable bullets but the premium bullets available now definitely have a leg up. He found the elk but it was not a pass through and had no blood trail to follow. A premium bullet in his 06 would likely change his mind.

A friend's dad that did a fair amount of elk hunting in late 80s to 90s is a firm believer that an 06 is on the low end of an elk caliber. He had some issues with knocking a cow down with his during one hunt and now recommends against using it on elk. I have not asked him specifically about what bullet he was using, but I have a feeling that it had more to do with the bullet than the caliber. He was not rolling in money at the time and at that timeframe I assume he was using corlokts or another cup and core bullet. Now, I know that corlokts are perfectly capable bullets but the premium bullets available now definitely have a leg up. He found the elk but it was not a pass through and had no blood trail to follow. A premium bullet in his 06 would likely change his mind.
If you can't kill an elk with an .06 and a Corelokt, stay on the porch. mtmuley

I can see a corlokt separating and not passing through. I've had it happen with whitetails and my .308. I know that he killed elk, both bulls and cows, with the same gun with no problem. But this was the last one before they moved out of Colorado and it stuck with him.

I recall reading an article in Fur-Fish-Game a few years ago that was written about moose hunting in Alaska or Canada with 30-30. The author told of how it was one of the preferred calibers of the locals.
I had one & wish I'd have kept it. Always heard a remark from older guys to the effect that "they're slow but hit like a sledgehammer."

I recall reading an article in Fur-Fish-Game a few years ago that was written about moose hunting in Alaska or Canada with 30-30. The author told of how it was one of the preferred calibers of the locals.
I had one & wish I'd have kept it. Always heard a remark from older guys to the effect that "they're slow but hit like a sledgehammer."
I haven't a copy of seen Fur Fish& Game in quite some time. I must not be the only old fart around. :)

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back