The evolution of Hunttalk ???

Trigger50

In the last 6 months I'm seen a noticable shift in hunttalk. Seems to be some "tension" between members. Yes,...I am turned off alittle by new members seeking easy leads on hunting spots. But I've seen some "rude" responses from existing members. Not sure what to make of it myself. I see both sides of this situation.

Last edited:
Whether a guy has one post or 1000 posts I will try to help him if I can. I usually do it through PM so I don't torque people off. If I'm on the mountain and I pull up on someone that needs help I don't ask how many post they have on HT before I decide to help, I just help them.

I have made some good friends just because I was willing to share a little information. I have also been repaid many times over by people that I have helped.

I guess what it all boils down to for me is If you want to help, Great. If you don't, Great. But you don't need to be a jerk about it.

Maybe some people are crabby because tag numbers have been down the last couple yrs ! I didnt draw some tags that I always draw ! I too have made some friends on this forum & learned a TON ! I'm going on my 1st archery elk hunt this fall w a fellow hunttalker.

I have changed my thinking since joining this forum. My deer hunting spots are a closely gaurded secret because I hunt them every year.
Bull Elk antelope and have a 5 year waiting period if you draw a tag to apply again. 10 years to apply again if you harvest a bull.
Bighorn 10 years to re-apply if you get a tag.
I have no problem helping someone hunt an area that I will probably never draw again for the other species.
Although I do expect people to do some research and legwork of their own first.

It's pretty funny actually, the way some certain people act on here...and on other forums those same people are on. Whether it's being rude, or being cocky...it's the same in my book. In reality the amount of people on this forum is really such a small amount of the hunters out there it is ridiculous to think that helping someone might dramatically impact your hunting area...in fact a lot don't even have internet, and they just hunt old school like many of us used to hunt...boots on the ground, and cafe get togethers.

I try and help where I can, if i have some information, ive certainly asked for my fair share. I'll admit I get a bit frustrated with new posters seeking advice, but for that I choose to keep my mouth shut as opposed to sharing my opinion. I know it's not constructive, so I'll leave it at a welcome message and encouragement to share their experience.

I think the rub is that when you ask for unit details it's there for the world to see. That can be a good thing, but it can also be a beacon for data crawlers. More importantly, I think most here would prefer a new member become a participating member. This is a community and it works really well with participating members and folks willing to share knowledge back and forth.

I get a little embarrassed for folks that come in with a big ask on their first post, but also for those that are an ass about those posts... I think a sticky with a few salient points would be helpful. Something like: Introduce yourself, just do some reading on the forum for your first few visits, share some pics/stories of past hunts, don't be a jerk, show you've done your homework when you ask for info (a search of this forum included), and then welcome to the party! Also, don't forget to share some results of that trip when you get back.

My thought: if you want to talk about the evolution of Hunttalk, you need to go back about 15 years. When Moosie started this place, it was kind of like his playground. Those who posted here had thick skin and questionable senses of humor. Those who didn't, didn't last long. Newbies who showed up and asked inappropriate questions either dealt with the ridicule they received with good nature and stuck around, or they were gone.

When Big Fin took this place over, it became his backyard, versus Moosie's playground. Now some of us might tolerate an occasional crap in our playground, but nobody is going to tolerate somebody crapping in their backyard. So this change has resulted in an evolution that has caused some of the abrasive folks to move on, and some of the thinner skinned folks to hang around.

If somebody is offended by newbie coming here and asking questions, they should probably ignore the post and move on. As somebody who is usually willing to help others out, I have found that it is best to be a little aloof and hard to approach on the forum, or I would be answering questions all the time. I'm sure there are other longtime members that feel the same way. Example: look at BuzzH. One of the most abrasive personalities here, and yet he has probably helped more guys than anyone else. ;)

There will always be guys that show up and ask a bunch of questions about a specific unit with their first post. And it will always be a bit inappropriate. But that's the purpose of this form now, and if people don't like it, then they should probably just choose to ignore it, or move on. At least think about whether you would like somebody coming along and crapping in your backyard before you post. ;)

As a relatively new member I certainly have made some near mistakes but never had to deal with too much ridicule. But I agree, I have been embarrassed for some new members. I personally try not to mention specific units or areas if it can be helped. If people ask for help in areas I try to tell them how to help themselves. If I feel something more is needed I send a pm. I have never understood why some take the time to ridicule a new member. A little ribbing is one thing but some is over the top. Give them a little time and they will figure out the forum.

As a new member and going into an area for the first time all help is appreciated. When asking I'd never expect some ones honey hole . But just general info on area can be a huge help to some one who's never been in an area . And with they way things are today us hunters need to stick together .

I have tried to avoid asking about specific areas, and stepping on toes. I like to gather as much information as possible from making my own calls, and visiting areas when I am hunting or fishing out west. That being said, I appreciate any help that I get. I, unfortunately, don't have a whole lot of advice to share simply because of my limited experience of only a few years of western hunting. I really like to post pictures and summaries of any outdoor adventures I have. I like sharing hunting/fishing experiences from around here in Ohio, just to let all the western guys in on what we have around here. There is a reason I come west though....the grass is always greener on the other side of the Missouri River heading west :)

Being a new member myself I certainly do not want to offend anyone or come off as cocky. I would never invite myself over to even a very close friend's house to eat dinner and I think asking for a specific place to hunt is sort of like doing just that.

Having said that, my friend and I started hunting elk in Wyoming in the late 90's. We were experienced eastern whitetail hunters but had no idea what we were in for. We hunted the first year out of a base camp and the next two years we bivy hunted. Each year we would try to find locals for advice to better our chances. Some were willing to offer minimal advice but for the most part we didn't get too much help. We logged mile after mile walking, looking at sign etc but was never able to put it together. We decided on our way home the last time that we were going to Colorado the next year regardless.

I bought some big game hunting CD that had all types of statistical data, talked to conservation officers and did a lot of map research. Of course the internet was just then starting to take off and was nothing like today so I didn't use it much. It was a challenging task to say the least.

Then...

I was doing a job for a guy during the summer of that year who had hunted in Colorado for several years. He was more than willing to give me any knowledge he had. He put us in the "general area" of where he had been hunting all those years and even gave up one of his hotspots, which turned out to be pretty good but not the best in the area. We have gone back to the same unit ever since. We enjoy it regardless of success.

I guess my point is I am not sure how things would have turned out without his help. Likely we eventually would have figured something out but he helped us help ourselves. We were able to learn over a period of years how the elk behaved in the unit and found our own hotspots and had success along the way. It would have been easy to give up and not hunt out west anymore if we would have had similar experience as our Wyoming hunts. BTW I am not bashing Wyoming I love it there but we wanted to go where we thought we had a better chance.

The regulations, license options and units out west are very daunting to someone who doesn't live there or doesn't have the opportunity to visit during the off seasons.

I am pretty sure that we have not impacted others that hunt the same unit in a negative way. In fact we met some pretty good people through the years and I think they feel the same.
Does not mean in any way that I think "where to hunt" advice needs to be published on a forum. I have seen some of the rude comments that you are talking about, but I think most would be willing to help at least a little, if asked in a polite manner. I know I would.

I have both tried to help some folks and asked about something that I am clueless about (antelope hunting). I, also, wouldn't expect someone to draw an X on a map and tell me to go there, but sometimes a little push in the right direction can help save soooo much time and research. I have started the antelope research in order to take my daughter out on her first western hunt and got some folks on here to assist and for that I am really, really appreciative! Not many places can you find that these days!

There are also a bunch of real professionals on here (for lack of a better word). I read their posts a little differently knowing these guys really know their stuff! To those of you who are pros, thanks for the tips!

I was one that stumbled upon HT a few months back as I was doing research for an archery elk hunt. It seemed like a lot of good info here so I joined. I don't post a ton, but check and read the site daily now.

I think if people were just more considerate of others in general, people would be more willing to share info. But in todays world, most have been burned by trying to help at some point or another. Society in general has become a "me me me" world.

I was burned on some hunting spots by who I thought was a very good friend a few years back. I've never been so mad at a friend. I didn't even give him as much as a glance when I saw him out and about for numerous years. I swore off ever giving anyone so much as a fishing tip after that. I've since come back to sharing info and even went on a day fishing trip with my old buddy this spring. Myself conscience has thanked me for it many times.

I'd still say this group is pretty tight nit of generally really good fellas compared to some other forums.

Last edited:
Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tvrguy
Back