The evolution of Hunttalk ???

I am relatively new to posting here but long time observer.
I saw a good number of decent folks from other sites I have been on for many years and now pretty much avoid as to the A-hole factor more than trolls.Never post on political sections anymore as I cannot understand folks who vote against their best interests regardless of party.

I will rib the newbie who draws that tag I have been applying for years unsuccessfully,but I PM and share some info if I can get a FEEL of them and have met several great folks here now too. But I am hesitant to even post what I apply for any more....

Being an old fart and all(tech challenged and poor service in remote area) I have hard time with folks that some things are second nature , 'cept real nature.
Old school is not always "old fool ".
And I'm never to old to learn something new or share.
Otherwise I'd just be another hermit.

This is the best forum I have ever seen. To much negativity on other forums. The thing I dont like is the first post questions and then we never hear from that person again. Questions are fine as long as the person participates in other discussions.

Every forum has its own rules written and unwritten. As a recent member I think Hunttalk is better than almost every hunting site.

Hunting forums are always going to be weird in that secrets are part of the game and personal success, but the principle of the internet is the free flow of information. Those principles are fundamentally at odds with one another.

When I look at hunttalk compared to other things like the state forums on duckhuntingchat this place is filled with angels. Other forums beat on a guy when he ask about how long of decoy line (3' vs 30') he needs for a certain area.

A few years back I pretty much quit looking at one of my local state forums due to the bickering and complaining. Every other thread turned into an argument. I have recently started looking at it again but still don't post much on it. The guys on here are way more respectful and seem to want to help. You deserved to be ribbed a little if your first post is asking about a specific unit. I didn't have many posts here when I asked for some advice but I tried to do my homework and just ask specific questions. There has only been one person on here who asked for information from me but I shared what little I knew in a PM because as stated above, I knew how hard it is to plan your first trip to the west to hunt.

The early days of the Moosie world were pretty raunchy: Vaguely remember Bcat and Raven. Not for family viewing, but very entertaining.

I like the comments on Buzz. Abrasive, but highly respected. Man has an opinion and usually right.

Enjoyed the early days, but like Big Fins regime. Both are good, but stressing different points of views.

I like you guys.

And to be fair, in the world of hunting social media, this place is like a tiny sanctuary. The anonymity of the internet makes it easy to be a dick. There isn't a lot of accountability when you don't have to meet someone face-to-face, some people will always take advantage of that.

In the mixed up words of my favorite It's Always Sunny episode, the trolls will one day pay their toll.

And insulted more hunters than anyone else.

This is patently false...Buzz is an equal opportunity disparager.:D

What I find interesting is the jump to brand roadhunter a troll while crickets chirp after a previous vile exchange on the same thread. :confused:

The biggest change I've seen is the influx of new members over the last few years, and the reduction of posting by old members, or vanishing all together. Very little in the way of shared hunts, photos, stories anymore. Only a few still do so. I suppose social media has cut into this? I think the biggest impact has been the moderation change. The mob rule used to keep people in check, by helping a stupid person understand they're stupid. The slow learners usually made for some of the best entertainment and knowledge sharing.

When Moosie started this place, it was kind of like his playground. Those who posted here had thick skin and questionable senses of humor. Those who didn't, didn't last long.

Ahhh... the good old days...:hump: I couldn't imagine the "Beatdown" I could hand out these days.

However, I respect Big Fin and won't crap in his yard... Bad dog!!!:eek:

I think this is the best forum out there. Easy to navigate, great members, and great threads that are always (for the most part) geared towards hunting. There are a lot of awful forums out there that are constantly full of NON hunting related topics. I've met some great people on here that have helped me with planning my hunts. I have also helped others on hunts they have done or are planning to do. Love this place

This forum is great and it was great back in the Moosie days. Any new member should be welcomed and be treated fairly. Lord back in the day we had pictures of all kinds of stuff the Supreme Court has not ruled on yet. And we all know the picture I am referring to! LOL John

What I find interesting is the jump to brand roadhunter a troll while crickets chirp after a previous vile exchange on the same thread. :confused:

I noticed that also.

Is this where I should make a disparaging joke about Texans?:)

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back