Caribou Gear Tarp

Thanks EODRay

Big Fin

Administrator
Staff member
A couple weeks ago, a soldier, a Hunt Talker, who was on his umpteenth tour in Afghanistan surprised me with a package as thanks for the DVDs and other things we send to troops who are deployed to dangerous areas. In that package was something special and serves to increase my strong connection to Memorial Day.

In the package was a bracelet he personally made from items in his EOD (Explosive Ordinance Disposal) kit. It is made of three colors of p-cord that he uses in his daily work, dangerous work. His note explained that each color; black, red, and green, represents someone.

I have worn it since he sent it. Its colors remind me of those who have served/are serving our country.

Black is for those who paid the ultimate sacrifice while serving to protect our freedoms and are no longer with us. I wear the black in honor of Army Major, Robert L. Olson; a close childhood friend who perished during a training exercise in 2001.

Red is for those who have been injured in battle. I wear the red in honor of John Cushman and the fellow soldiers he helped so bravely. John's perseverance and determination gives me inspiration.

Green is for those who are currently serving. For me, the green is worn for my nephew, Marine Cody Nicholson, for whom I pray for strength and safety as he completes his duty.

As I look at the colors, I can place many other names to each color, both alive and since passed, who remind me of the sacrifices they and their families pay for our freedom. All of them have remarkable stories that are worthy of telling.

Thanks for sending this, Ray. I wear it proudly and it means a lot to me.

The bracelet in its entirety represents all who are serving and all who have served. I am in debt to all and will pay respects tomorrow morning at the local Memorial Day service here in Bozeman. Thank you, though such gesture seems inadequate for the debt that is owed.

Happy Memorial Day to all. May those in service to our country return home safe.

IMG_2808.JPG

Words lose me thinking about Randy's post. Great write up for memorializing our fallen heroes, Randy. Ray, you further promote the pride I have for American's serving in our military - Thank you!

Thank you to all! our families of those who gave the ultimate sacrifice, those living with injuries and those currently serving.

Thanks for sharing the photo and explaining your gift. Thank you to all that are serving, and have served and to their families..

Great post Randy. Thanks for sharing your gift from Ray. Almost all of us have soldiers in our lives and memories. I have nothing but respect and thanks for their service.

Well said Big Fin and well done EODRay. Service on behalf of the nation at a cost to self is praise worthy. Thanks Ray.

Thank you is just he tip of the ice berg to show my family's gratitude to guys like EODRay ,John (Buffalo )Cushman...and every other serviceman and woman who served or serves our country....Great post Randy.....:cool:

Attaboy Ray! I have always enjoyed your posts. Fin, yeah, I guess I have enjoyed your posts too! Great tribute all the way around.

Randy, I'm flattered at your words and sentiment. I don't feel that I've done anything worthy of it, though. I was just doing my job and happened to get hit with the second IED, then shot twice in the aftermath...all in a day's work. I didn't do anything special or worthy of such high regard.

........... I don't feel that I've done anything worthy of it, though. I was just doing my job and happened to get hit with the second IED, then shot twice in the aftermath...all in a day's work. I didn't do anything special or worthy of such high regard.

I guess we will just disagree on that one, John. ;)

What you have done and how you carry on after a life-changing event such as that is inspiration to me, and I suspect to most of those watching you. I understand that you felt you were "just doing your job," and you were. Some jobs are inherently dangerous and earn the respect of all, such that when you are "just doing your job" you are earning more respect than maybe you realize.

And when those inherent risks come to reality, the manner in which a person carries forward with their life adds even more respect. Some day, hopefully we will share a camp, and I hope to find words that properly express that to you.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Otto247
Back