MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Thanks Breaks Runner (Freak Pronghorn)

dexnrex

Thanks to a tip from Breaks Runner I was fortunate enough to locate, stalk and kill the freak-horned antelope buck he photographed back in July. It took me half a dozen trips to find him beginning the 15th of August. Once I located him the hunt was quick and dirty. From the time I saw him until he was on the ground was about 7 minutes. With every successful bowhunt there is always some element of luck. In this case it was the situation he was in. He was dinkin' around with a smaller buck and they walked to the edge of the only shallow draw in the area and it happened to have a large clump of sagebrush exactly where I needed to be. I got to the sagebrush just before they got to the edge of the draw. My first shot was so close I blew it and shot high clipping the top of his back just above the shoulders. I think he thought the smaller buck did it to him cause he started chasing the other buck in a circle as I nocked another arrow. He never got more than 60 yds. away as he chased the smaller buck. When he stopped again my follow up shot was dead on. I was shooting an NAP Spitfire expandable head and the results were graphic. He died quick.

When Breaks Runner told me about the buck he said the good horn was 15". He missed it by 1/8". It was 15 1/8" and the freak horn is 16 1/8".

Now on to deer and elk.

Attachments

• Antelope 2010.jpg
    Antelope 2010.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 649
  • antelope 2010-2.jpg
    antelope 2010-2.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 475
Wow, if that is standing in front of me, I am shooting. That buck ranks up there with some of the great cool antelope bucks I have ever seen.

Congrats.

Awesome buck and those are excellent field photo's. Really cool with those horses looking over your shoulder.

Thanks for the kind comments. I will be taking the head and cape to the taxidermist this evening. The only thing that could have made it better is if my 9yr. old son would have been with me. The last two years he was with me when I shot my antelope. He had come with on a few hunts this year and had a ball, but he didn't want to go Monday which was fine. A kid's gotta play too. As much as I enjoy taking him along it is much easier to stalk antelope with a bow without company.

Cool looking goat.

In the first pic the antelope looks like the guy from Flock of Seagulls

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sept7872
Back