Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Task force $1,950 NR elk tag

At the current rate of inflation maybe these prices in 2024 are not that extreme. If the red side falters this November $1950 may be a bargain relative to inflation.
The problem with inflation is a pay raise to equal that inflation never seems to follow and we busy bees fall further and further behind the wagon carrying the rich. The other Western States will soon be on board with or near these same prices if this passes. What we need is a good long recession at this point and it may be just over the hill.

The marriage analogy you made is maybe a little how I would look at it as well.

My experience still changes when I have a tag in my pocket and a weapon in my hand. It's hard to explain.

But I'm also 33 years old. I've watched enough people's priorities change as time goes by to not rule it out.

My hat is off to those of you who can get the same experience without a tag.
Yes, I'm 52 and at the stage in my life I really enjoy others especially youth getting to harvest game. Basically, Ill take them hunting and they are my gun. My fiancé has been reaping the rewards and is so into hunting no more cruises or beach vacations its gotta be a hunting or fishing vacation anymore. All things change

Yes, they have been putting extra money from revenue into a reserve fund and it's increased to a years worth of operating expenses.

Just a bit more than 50% of the game and fish budget is from nr license sales.
Time for them to invest that surplus and live off the interest

Public trust wildlife assets should not be managed as a for profit business.
Would that then mean zero non resident tags? Non residents really fit more into the business side of things rather than protecting interests in the citizens of the state which it's required to do.

If so, I guess this argument ends as the price becomes mute

I don't think it's a "who cares" attitude as much as a realization that there's not a thing we can do about it, may as well learn to adjust for it. Getting upset about it isn't gonna put a tag in your pocket.
The guy I quoted literally said he wished states required $10k down for a sheep hunt to "keep out the riff-raff" because "some of us can afford it". I think my characterization was generous to say the least.

Maybe this is why Wyoming G&F has a surplus of funds, and CPW is millions in the red
Don’t want to sidetrack the thread, but that’s not the case.

86C2AF50-A278-4E21-A777-DF50DEB78692.jpeg
858E6A32-20A7-4457-B316-C1170E91C759.jpeg

Edit to add link:

The guy I quoted literally said he wished states required $10k down for a sheep hunt to "keep out the riff-raff" because "some of us can afford it". I think my characterization was generous to say the least.
He was just talking crap to make people angry. Honestly not sure he even hunts.

Would that then mean zero non resident tags? Non residents really fit more into the business side of things rather than protecting interests in the citizens of the state which it's required to do.

If so, I guess this argument ends as the price becomes mute
If we're going to go full on capitalism/ maximize profit, sell all tags to the highest bidder no matter their residency.

Hard for me to decide what to do in the future with my kids. I was buying WY points for them in anticipation of taking them for “coming of age” hunts.

I already did this last year with pronghorn for my then-15-year-old daughter, but I only bought her a tag and saved my few points.

I’ve started now with my second child (middle daughter) for cow elk points and pronghorn as a bonus, but we won’t be able to do that for at least 2-3 more years with her. I think that should still work out, but the pronghorn may be tight, and I think I’m okay with that.

I haven’t even been able to start on points for my son yet because he’s too young. I’m really nervous about him being able to hunt with me before he’s out of the house. Then we all know how busy life gets, so it may never happen.

I’m planning on cashing in a couple of mule deer points next year with my dad and brother, but that will likely be a once-in-a-lifetime hunt, and was also going to cash in 4 pronghorn points with a friend on the same trip to save time and money on travels. The pronghorn for me is looking more and more like an OIL hunt, and may not be feasible to expect my son to draw until he is in college or afterwards. I am DEFINITELY not a multi-state-every-year points player, but in order to try to take my kids hunting and maybe hunt a little myself every 3-4 years then I’m probably going to have to start thinking that way. Drats!

If we're going to go full on capitalism/ maximize profit, sell all tags to the highest bidder no matter their residency.
I'm pointing out the exact opposite. Remove non residents and make it 100 percent all for residents. Discussion of this topic is over.

Assuming we don't want to look at g&f as a business

The only thing unsettling is when people throw their hands up and say "who cares? I can pay and it will help me draw better tags"
What else can you do?
I can pay it now and there are units I would/will pay it, if it gets me to the front of the line quicker.
It won’t always be that way I am sure.

Don’t want to sidetrack the thread, but that’s not the case.

View attachment 240298
View attachment 240297

Edit to add link:
Glad to see that, thanks for the correction

Reactions: Oak
Plenty of DIY'ers will pony up for a special elk tag. I'll likely pay the increased special rates to increase odds at drawing a general tag with 4 points next year.

Spoke with a WY outfitter last week that said he had been hounded by Sy to contact his customers and ask them to comment on the Outfitter tag allotment proposals prior to it being shitcanned. He said he refused and didn't believe giving that preference was the right thing for hunting.

I've thought about this a while and while I don't like the price increase there are arguments for it that I understand.

The place where I disagree is the shift to 50/50. A more fair arrangement would be changing prices but shifting to a 66/33 distribution in favor of regular draw tags.

That would get the special draw back to more of an express lane through price difference but keep some balance in favor of the common man who just wants to hunt cow elk, lower demand antelope, general deer tags outside of G and H, etc.

An extra $1k is a lot of money, but would you skip a hunt every 3 years or so with your best buddies for $1k. It sucks but we will all figure it out. I believe someone smart around here says often you'll run out of health before money.

I hunt with old guys with plenty of money and can't hardly get around. They always say you'll find the money or work harder go hunt.

I've thought about this a while and while I don't like the price increase there are arguments for it that I understand.

The place where I disagree is the shift to 50/50. A more fair arrangement would be changing prices but shifting to a 66/33 distribution in favor of regular draw tags.

That would get the special draw back to more of an express lane through price difference but keep some balance in favor of the common man who just wants to hunt cow elk, lower demand antelope, general deer tags outside of G and H, etc.

I didn't see what the new regular tag fees would be but if they increase by same % as special, I don't think the 66/33 split would result in there being significantly better odds in the special.

Back