Task force $1,950 NR elk tag

I am here “out west” as I type this now. Grateful to be chasing elk again. They are bugling and the aspens are turning and for those moments when I don’t have cell service, all is still right with the world. Then I hit town, get service, and get quickly reminded how people big and small, and their task forces, bureaucrats, and administrators seem to trying their dead-level best to accelerate the ruin of something that I and many others love and have taken rather for granted until recent years.

With luck, I may still have many DIY hunts and trips yet to come, but more and more I feel like we could modify the Jimmy Buffet lyrics to “yes I am a hunter, 25 years too late, rifles still thunder, for those rich with their plunder, but I’m an over 40 victim of fate.”

In truth though, and ironically somewhat sadly, I am “rich” enough with my plunder to pay this drastically increased fee.

An increase that just screams “Because We Can!”

An increase that is so unnecessary, except to advantage a tiny slice of the hunting “industry” and which will do much harm, and essentially no good for the things that matter most.

Will the new fees increase game population? No. Will they unlock more access? No. Will they encourage youth? No. Allow families and friends to more frequently and easily create memories and attachments to travel, public forest lands and conservation? No. Will things be better (for residents, let alone non-residents) in 5, 10, 25 years as a result of these types of decisions? No and HELL No!

Part of me wishes that fees are raised so high I can finally be forced out, just to be able to stop feathering outfitter nests and over-budgeted and bloated administrative departments. But I am weak and addicted and so I’ll pay for now and be part of the problem until my knee, or hip, or life gives out. But here’s why, and it’s more than just the fact that I love it. It’s because it’s slowly coming to an end, NR western DIY hunting that is. We are all playing music on the deck of the Titanic. I won’t say we “let” it happen, per se, since the power of “divide and conquer” is formidable and NR voices are not so popular these days (but much thanks to those R who see the bigger picture and try to hold back the tide) but history won’t be wrong to acknowledge we didn’t “not” let it happen either. And all in all I’m really not sure there was anything that could have changed this, once technology, modern marketing, and timeless greed took over.

Enjoy and pay while you can, if you can. Nothing lasts forever, even things that should.

looks like wyoming will be pricing out the blue collar non res if this goes thru//simply put wyoming will move WAY DOWN my personal "bang for the buck list".will have to determine if its worth persuing,,or if it goes like "montana",by the way ,over the last 20 years montana has been way down on my list,,therfore montana hasnt gotten a single cent from me.wyoming tourism will go the same direction i feel.maybe just high dollar outfitted hunts for those who dont d i y

If Wyoming prices you out, let not your heart be troubled, Colorado is more than willing to sell you a tag for less than half the price. Only downside will be 100X more people to share the experience with

I am late to the party, was having a good time field trialling over in Idaho.

The single biggest thing driving the train wreck is the incestuous relationship between state game departments, outfitters and state governments. This is the case from Alaska, Canada and the mountain west.

I do not think any state owes a non resident hunter a slice of the wildlife pie larger than what its residents tolerate. Whatever that tolerance is, the licenses should be allocated by chance to those interested. There should not be special programs to cut to the head of the non resident line.

Of course this will not happen, because of the relationship mentioned above. For some reason states feel compelled to keep outfitters in business. This has been true for decades, and will continue. It will price out many deserving hunters. Outfitters will get a larger slice of the non resident pie. It will not satisfy them, it will only mean that they need that many hunters to stay in operation.

If big game hunting is REALLY important to you. You need to become a resident hunter in a state of your choice. There is a limit in how badly they will treat resident hunters, not much of one for non residents.

Congress should increase the cost of permits for outfitters under the Federal Lands Recreation Enhancement Act. Let’s go from 3% to 10%.
Not that I agree or disagree but in the end, the guided hunter pays for this increase.

150k more likes and I’m usurping Cam on the res bull gravy train.
You just can't shoot 100yrds plus with a bugle tube around your neck after a 200yard sprint uphill like him

If big game hunting is REALLY important to you. You need to become a resident hunter in a state of your choice. There is a limit in how badly they will treat resident hunters, not much of one for non residents.
Ever live in Colorado? There is a limit on how badly CPW will treat nonresidents, not so much for residents

Ever live in Colorado? There is a limit on how badly CPW will treat nonresidents, not so much for residents

Guess there is an exception to every rule. I cast my lot by moving to Montana forty plus years ago. It has worked out well, no guarantee it would going forward.

My experience as an NR with CPW has been stellar; by phone for general information, tag splits, and getting intel from game biologists.
Yes, that's why I asked BuzzH above when this will happen. I got another load of points to spend in 2023 for two NR hunter friends of mine.

Back