Caribou Gear Tarp

Suppressor Experience

I didn't even know nosler made suppressors but that design seems intriguing. They have very little detail on their website which isn't confidence inspiring. Like what cartridges/barrel lengths are they rated for? Measured suppression values?

I didn't even know nosler made suppressors but that design seems intriguing. They have very little detail on their website which isn't confidence inspiring. Like what cartridges/barrel lengths are they rated for? Measured suppression values?
Initially, it seemed like Nosler was just private labeling StingerWorx cans, but Nosler claims to manufacture them in house so maybe they just licensed the design? SW has good barrel ratings at that link. Suppression values are usually worthless, its better to understand baffle design and number of baffles and compare those factors to other known cans.

Last edited:
TBAC Ultra 5 (6.5mm bore) on a 22" 6.5 SAUM. Recoil is less than no muzzle device, more than a good brake. I think it's hearing safe for hunting shots outdoors. I still wear earpro for everything but hunting.

Ok…now I am a bit concerned. I submitted my form 4 on August 22, 2022. The ATF web site says the average wait time it 232 days. I am pushing up on 260. I did a single shot trust through Silencer Shop. I have been checking my Eform account and there is nothing listed. I have called ATF several times and they have found the suppressor by serial number and have said it is being processed. I am now reading about several people who submitted their forms after me that have received their suppressors. I am afraid something is wrong and I have not gotten any emails from anybody. Thoughts?

Ok…now I am a bit concerned. I submitted my form 4 on August 22, 2022. The ATF web site says the average wait time it 232 days. I am pushing up on 260. I did a single shot trust through Silencer Shop. I have been checking my Eform account and there is nothing listed. I have called ATF several times and they have found the suppressor by serial number and have said it is being processed. I am now reading about several people who submitted their forms after me that have received their suppressors. I am afraid something is wrong and I have not gotten any emails from anybody. Thoughts?
232 days seems a bit soon anymore. I’d bet you still have 1-2 more months

I plan on making a few calls tomorrow and then again Monday. I will get it figured out. ATF NFA branch previously told me it should be completed in April. This wait is crazy.

I plan on making a few calls tomorrow and then again Monday. I will get it figured out. ATF NFA branch previously told me it should be completed in April. This wait is crazy.
Sometimes having your congressman contact them lights a fire. You'll need to provide a control number.

Your form through Silencer Shop won't show up in your eForm account, and if ATF says its pending everything should be ok. You're still in the window of approval time the current actual wait averages 275 right now, so not too long to be worried yet.

Last edited:
Thanks,

I called the local FFL and everything still looks good. I want to buy another one, a Banish Backcountry but I am going to wait to see how this one finishes first. I was thinking a smaller can for a 7mm-08 and 280AI might be nice.

I bow to your superior knowledge, all I can say is silencers (or as we call them moderators) have been in common use in the UK for around 30 years with no restrictions on use or ownership, most hunters use them, and I don't know of any that leave them on the rifle after use.

As for the benefits, great for people who are recoil averse, and noise reduction.
For us, it can cause confusion in the deer after the first shot, enabling us to take another, sometimes 3 or 4 more deer.
I don't have one on my .243 Sako, it has never been threaded.
I do have one on my 6.5, but I'm about to remove it, it just unbalances a lovely well designed Steyr.
IMG_1019.jpeg

I had a bunch of rifles out at the range on Friday. This is a Tikka T1x in 22lr, I had it cut and threaded to 16” before that length was available in the US. I installed my TBAC Takedown 22 can on this rifle in April of 2019, shot it a bunch since then, and took it off today just for you. Should I clean my 22s more? Absolutely. Is there any crown damage at all from the notoriously filthy 22? Not a bit.

View attachment 274918

I had a bunch of rifles out at the range on Friday. This is a Tikka T1x in 22lr, I had it cut and threaded to 16” before that length was available in the US. I installed my TBAC Takedown 22 can on this rifle in April of 2019, shot it a bunch since then, and took it off today just for you. Should I clean my 22s more? Absolutely. Is there any crown damage at all from the notoriously filthy 22? Not a bit.
I do have a confession to make, I have never taken mine off my .22! I do wonder if the gasses they talk about corroding the crown are from large calibre rifles.
Also the last 1'' on the barrel

The leaflet that can with my suppressor also said remove after use.
So I air on the side of caution but your crown looks perfect

I'm diving into suppressor shopping and would love to hear from those who already have experience. What can are you shooting on your hunting rifle, what cartridge are you shooting, how do you like it in terms of noise, recoil, and handling? Thanks!!!
Surefire

My only can is a Thunderbeast ultra 7. I hunted elk with it once on a 22" 7 SAUM. It was fine but I have went back to elk hunting with a bare muzzle or muzzle brake + electronic hearing protection. I just didnt like carrying around an extra 7" off the end of the barrel.

They are nice for shooting but don't have the recoil reduction of a muzzle brake. I'll likely have 223 and 6.5x47 barrels at 18" for them for the range and midwest hunting work but not sure I'll be using them on western hunts in the near future.

9 months later after actually building a 18" 6 creedmoor and shooting it a bit with the can.. I've now sold a custom 25" 6.5 SAUM and a Custom 7 SAUM and 300 WMs are in danger of getting gone now too. It's so nice just shooting and watching impacts and not doubling up on ear pro and still getting blasted with an aggressively braked magnum. Tempted to just live with a 223, a 6 creedmoor, and maybe a 25-284/25 PRC as a "Big" gun all with 18-19" barrels to cover all my hunting needs. Bought a new sico Scythe can today too.

Part of it was me accepting the fact that I have no path in the near future to getting enough practice in to ethically shoot at animals beyond 600 yards so there was really no reason to shoot magnums.

I had already ordered the backcountry that I had upgraded to from an elk foundation banquet. The “free” .22 for the price of a tax stamp was nice.

I submitted as an individual.
Randy, sorry to ask an accounting question, but if you already have a Revocable Living Trust, is there any reason not to use that for your suppressor? Could it screw up your other assets?
Thank you.

Just got mine after a 7 month wait. Of course I had to go to the range and try it out. There was little difference if any in the impact of the 204 Ruger that I put it on.

The suppression was excellent and I am now going to have all my varmint rifles threaded and use the same suppressor. $800.00 and 7 months waiting is too much for me, so I will be getting a hot pad so I can screw the suppressor on and off each gun as I use it…

View attachment 273646
@shrapnel , So what threading did you go with for the .204, 1/2/x28?

Back