Suppressor Experience

Paisano

I'm diving into suppressor shopping and would love to hear from those who already have experience. What can are you shooting on your hunting rifle, what cartridge are you shooting, how do you like it in terms of noise, recoil, and handling? Thanks!!!

Q Thunder Chicken (full titanium) on a .308 Rem SPS 20”.

Recoil is significantly reduced, the numbers say nearly 30db reduction (earplugs are still needed). Handling…it added 8” to the rifle length. Also added a pound of weight to the overall rifle. No real change in accuracy - gun shot a lovely 3” group at 500 yards. Not bad for a budget rifle.

It’s a good can, does what it’s supposed to do but it hasn’t really eliminated the need for earplugs. I suppose it all depends on how sensitive your ears are.

Edited to add: it made a 2-click difference (1/2 inch lower at 100) in POI.

Last edited:
Thunderbeast; the Cadillac of cans. I shoot from 22lr up thru 30.06. I have to wear muffs at the range or hunting because of others. There is a POI change, but accuracy is as good or better. I tell the kids "it's an accuracy can" and they shoot better. On a longer barreled rifle they can be a little cumbersome to pack. I have inverted my sling and pack it barrel down.

Banish 30 on everything with a banish backcountry on order. After shooting with a can I no longer enjoy shooting without one. I run shorter barrels to make handling easier. I’ll give up the velocity
Do you feel comfortable hunting without hearing protection with the Banish 30? I ordered the backcountry for my first can and was curious how a similar model performed in the field.

Do you feel comfortable hunting without hearing protection with the Banish 30? I ordered the backcountry for my first can and was curious how a similar model performed in the field.
Have it on a 6.5 prc right now. I hunted before without hearing protection so it is night and day difference for me now. When I’m practicing I still throw a pair of muffs on even when suppressed

I got a suppressor this past year (Q Trash Panda - Titanium) and it is really cool. I love shooting with it but i'm re-thinking how I hunt with it. This season I walked around with the suppressor installed all the time and it was awkward. I am investing in a shorter rifle but think I will save the suppressor for times when I have spotted something and made a stalk and I will put it on at the last minute. Just learn what your can does to your POI and use it when it makes sense and I think it can be a fantastic addition to your hunting set up. Also, was using on a Browning X-bold hells canyon speed in 6.5 PRC and it cut the noise down dramatically. My new rig is a 300 PRC Christensen Ridgeline FFT which should be in today or tomorrow, TBD on how it does with that shorter barrel.

I have shot my banish 30 on everything from a 300 rum to a 22-250. No ear plugs needed. They are sweet

Check out Lane Suppressors. I've got 3 of them. They are a great product and they're customer service is amazing.

My only can is a Thunderbeast ultra 7. I hunted elk with it once on a 22" 7 SAUM. It was fine but I have went back to elk hunting with a bare muzzle or muzzle brake + electronic hearing protection. I just didnt like carrying around an extra 7" off the end of the barrel.

They are nice for shooting but don't have the recoil reduction of a muzzle brake. I'll likely have 223 and 6.5x47 barrels at 18" for them for the range and midwest hunting work but not sure I'll be using them on western hunts in the near future.

Last edited:
Unless you are set on a Banish, buy local. Recently ordered a couple Banish from Silencer Central but took approx 5 weeks from start to when submitted to the ATF and still not expected for 9+ months. I've heard the same from others. About the only advantage I see is that you don't need to leave the house to get a suppressor. After your first, you will find yourself wanting another and another ;)

Unless you are set on a Banish, buy local. Recently ordered a couple Banish from Silencer Central but took approx 5 weeks from start to when submitted to the ATF and still not expected for 9+ months. I've heard the same from others. About the only advantage I see is that you don't need to leave the house to get a suppressor. After your first, you will find yourself wanting another and another ;)
^This...I placed an order on Nov 20 (Cyber Monday) to get the "free" 22k suppressor. It was Dec 20 before I got my actual paperwork submitted. I was at Scheels a few days later and a guy got all of that taken care of in 15 minutes. If it wasn't for the fact they screwed up my order and gave me two of the 22k suppressors I would not be happy.

If you don't like talking to people, you can find dealer with a Silencer Shop Kiosk and do all that.

I'm not sure if the new ATF brace/stock ruling will cause delays but judging how things are going, I fully expect approval times to get longer.

My suppressor is the Gunwerks 6” model. My experience shadows Wild Gypsy’s comments above, in that recoil reduction is not nearly to the same level as with a muzzle brake. I’ve used mine on everything from a .22-250, up through a .300 PRC. Honestly, I love it on the .22-250 and 6 Creed, as I still can spot my hits fairly easily. On the 6.5 PRC, 7 SAUM, and on up, it’s not as easy to do this as it is with the muzzle brakes installed. It certainly reduces the muzzle blast, although at the range I still use the earmuffs. While hunting, on 2 different occasions, I did not use the muffs and did indeed notice the positive affect on me, and also on other deer that were feeding in the same meadow. They looked up of course, but most didn’t bolt. Heck, after a few minutes many of them went back to feeding!

Thunderbeast Ultra 7 on a 280ai.

Two seasons with it. A couple dead elk. The sound is diminished but it’s still there. Recoil had a good reduction. I was able to correct my son’s flinch using the rifle.

I’ll have a suppressor on my rifles going forward.

Attachments

• 6C2DF633-016F-4FD0-94F2-59CDA34E44D3.jpeg
    6C2DF633-016F-4FD0-94F2-59CDA34E44D3.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 59
I only have experience hunting with people. I just laugh when all day long it gets caught on branches, brush and they complain about the the extra weight and length. my only answer " where do you think we were hunting, the range"

I know I am the minority. I just don't see the value for what should be one shot maybe. Understood if easier terrain and for flat landers its fine, but not for mountain hunting with trees and brush.

Arguably, the real issue has more to do with hunting conditions than anything else. If one can get to a position and set up for several hours, a silencer is great. You can wait to put it on after you get into position (which is what I do). By the same token, if you are 200+ yards away and the animal just doesn’t know you’re there, it’s not hard to put a silencer on quietly enough and take your time.

in other cases, like very tight east coast deep woods hunting where shots are fast and quick, it might not be an option at all.

As is true with many things in life, it’s quite situational.

I just laugh when all day long it gets caught on branches, brush and they complain about the the extra weight and length.

I just don't see the value for what should be one shot maybe. Understood if easier terrain and for flat landers its fine, but not for mountain hunting with trees and brush.
for reals?

I only have experience hunting with people. I just laugh when all day long it gets caught on branches, brush and they complain about the the extra weight and length. my only answer " where do you think we were hunting, the range"

I know I am the minority. I just don't see the value for what should be one shot maybe. Understood if easier terrain and for flat landers its fine, but not for mountain hunting with trees and brush.
I’ve had none of those problems. It doesn’t get caught on brush and I don’t notice a change in weight. I’m not a flat land hunter, if you have any idea of Idaho.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back