Suppressor Experience

Banish 30 on everything with a banish backcountry on order. After shooting with a can I no longer enjoy shooting without one. I run shorter barrels to make handling easier. I’ll give up the velocity
When talking to one of the guys at silencer central, he said most people tend to run the banish 30 at one length and not switch back and forth between the 7 and 9 inch configurations. Is there a big difference between how the banish 30 performs in the 7 vs 9 inch configuration? I've read the pew science articles but I like hearing from the guy behind the gun.

I've got 16ish cans, but only 5 or so that I use for big game. My primary hunting cans are a Griffin Armament Sportsman and 2 Sportsman ultralights run them on 300wm, 300wsm, 260rem, 6br, etc. I'm deep into the Griffin taper mounts, and now days I am switching over to the Ez Brake version since it doesn't need to be timed. I have a Silencerco Hybrid 46 with a Plan A adapter that was originally for a 45/70 that is now living on a 8.6blk and used for my 338-06 with a titanium 9mm front cap to quiet it down a little, planning on replacing the 46 with the new Q 338 can, and put the 46 on a 45acp sbr.

My original centerfire can, an AAC 7.62SDN6 was converted away from 51t by Ecco to use Hub mounts, so it has a Plan B and is on a 300blk SBR or 6ARC SBR for yotes. I wear ears at the range or when shooting more than a couple, except for my integral bolt 22 with subs, its so very quiet.

The current hunting rifles are 20-22", but I have hunted with longer barreled guns, its never been a problem for me carrying them in the field or balancing to shoot. My first stab at hunting with a can was a mid profile Savage in 260 cut to 22" with the AAC can and 51t. My dad and I doubled on shorter than ears pronghorn with that gun, but 24oz on the the end of a lighter barrel was far from ideal. Proof barrels and 12oz cans (or even lighter these days) is a way better solution. Mounts like the 51t, Silencerco ASR, Dead Air Keymo, and others really add a ton of weight to the system, but direct thread is a pain, so in the middle is a simple taper mount, perfect imho.

Last edited:
When talking to one of the guys at silencer central, he said most people tend to run the banish 30 at one length and not switch back and forth between the 7 and 9 inch configurations. Is there a big difference between how the banish 30 performs in the 7 vs 9 inch configuration? I've read the pew science articles but I like hearing from the guy behind the gun.
Not a big difference that I have noticed. The 7 is a hair louder but still hearing safe on everything I have put it on or been around. I hate shooting guns without them but I have already lost a great deal of hearing and can’t afford to lose anymore

I'm diving into suppressor shopping and would love to hear from those who already have experience. What can are you shooting on your hunting rifle, what cartridge are you shooting, how do you like it in terms of noise, recoil, and handling? Thanks!!!
I shot a couple of animals in Africa with my PH's personal rifle, a suppressed 270 WSM. Not sure what brand. Very comfortable to shoot and I could reach out there with it prone on a bipod. But I wouldn't have a suppressor on my own rifle. His gun was awkward to carry and I prefer to be on my feet stalking game. Also, I can't imagine it pointed very well offhand with that extra weight out on the end of the barrel.

I’ve only shot mine in the 7” configuration. Once my banish backcountry shows up my banish 30 will go to the 9” configuration and stay on my short barreled 22-250 for coyotes

My prc is 24” with suppressor screwed on. The elk, deer, and coyotes that were shot with it sure didn’t seem to like it much.
nice a short for you. Myself and most of my buddies all have 28". Add a suppressor and its long, like a one of those accordion firetrucks that take two drivers.

I have a gemtech dagger. I used to run it on my xbolt hells canyon with 26” barrel. It was long and got in the way a little bit hunting timber. Loved the recoil reduction and reduced recoil. I now have it on an 18” barreled Bergara. What a world of a difference. The Bergara is a couple inches shorter with can than the browning is without can.

All that being said, I can’t imagine carrying a suppressor separate and putting it on when I see an animal. There are just to many instances where an animal comes out of no where and may only present a shot for a short amount of time. Needing to install the suppressor in that amount of time does not seem practical.

I’m using the Yankee Hill Resonator K. It’s short but adequate in sound reduction. Not too expensive either. I use it for Hunting and the range and on multiple calibers from 5.56-300wsm. It really shines on my AR’s, both 5.56 and 308. My kids love it.

I purchased my first last spring: TBAC Ultra 7. It’s on a 6.5 PRC with 19” barrel. I don’t bother with hearing protection while hunting, but I still do while practicing because “why not”. The recoil reduction is not as good as a brake alone, and the recoil impulse is more attenuated making it harder to stay on target, but overall it makes for a more pleasant shooting experience.

I really like my ultra 5 on my 22" 7 max. Reduces it to a loud(ish) crack. I don't wear ear pro when hunting. It does exactly what I wanted it to do and Ive never been bothered by it in the field.

Have a 7 on my 243. That's fun too shoot.

I’ve only shot mine in the 7” configuration. Once my banish backcountry shows up my banish 30 will go to the 9” configuration and stay on my short barreled 22-250 for coyotes

I know you probably have it posted across the forum a dozen times but what's the barrel length on the 22-250 and velocity?

My family and many friends have gone with 12systems in SD. 12systems Some friends also go with Silencer Central and Lane.

Zach does a great job, colors it to your liking, and all titanium. I hear he gives veterans a discount as well. If you are out of state, he helps you find a dealer near you so you can get it transferred.

Don't do a paper app anymore. They take too long. Do it electronically. I believe it is still 1/2 the time that paper takes.

Suppressors can become even more expensive because you may end up shooting more.

Have a good friend that put an 8" suppressor on his Christensen Ridgeline 300WM last summer. Made the total length 34". Not sure what brand though and I'll try to find out. The gun shot fantastic all summer and fall. This winter though as it's gotten colder, he's missed a few shots on wolves that should have been easy shots. What he's found out in cold weather with this set up is the first shot (250 zero) is 4" high, second shot 2" high, then back dead on shots three and four. After four rounds of four shot groups, it was the same. Cold barrel shot is 4" high. Fairly perplexing and must be how the gasses disperse?

I just measured mine. Kimber Montana 84L , 280ai, 24 inch barrel. 7” Thunder Beast Ultra 7.

Total barrel length with suppressor is 28”.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back