Sunday Pic of the Day

Two of my three Yellowstone bear encounters. We came in through the east gate from Cody and saw a line a car stopped and there was a Range and I said what’s going on. He said there’s a grizzly with two cubs up the hill but can’t see him right now.

So I get my binoculars and I start glass 200, 300 yards up the hill I walk down the road and I see people start pulling out their cell phones and I’m like what are they looking at and then I look up and there’s a cub on a log like 40 yards from the road I’m like oh crap and then she stood up And took a look at everybody gave us snort and then disappeared in the grass, and then slowly walked away up the hill .

Of course I never had my phone on me. I left it in the truck when we drove away I was like I should’ve got my cell phone. I know better my kid goes. Oh I took a picture of it through my phone. Dad , he’s never in the woods. But he gets all the credit.

And then our second bear was asleep under a tree about 50 yards off the road and I had him bring his phone and get a picture of that one too , the last beer we saw was a cub , 35 to 40 yards off the road playing all by itself. I don’t know if mom was dead or she was asleep up the ridge or whatever but there was a Ranger there and crap ton of people watching it. I never did get a picture of that one..

Mom and her cubs going back up the hill
image000000.jpeg

Sleepy bear IMG_3800.jpeg

Drove Yellowstone yesterday, ended up with a close encounter I didn’t want , just started drive over the Bridge at fishing Bridge, about halfway across the rig at the far end was stopped trying to leave the bridge , but his rig was blocking the view. Then a lone Bison stepped out from in front of his rig , looked right saw approaching vehicles , then turned and decided to walk across the bridge.

I didn’t like the thought of being on the bridge with him as he had nowhere to go , but it was a good hundred yards to back up , so I turned off my rig and stayed still , but the vehicles behind him instead of giving him a good cushion, decided to just drive up on his butt , I was just hoping he wouldn’t feel stressed by this and do something, because of the idiot drivers behind him , he walked passed my window and gave a snort , and I could hear him breathing, a cool experience. But not one I’d choose to repeat , after he passed me I started up my truck and rolled on !

View attachment 283761

As he passed my drivers seat , 6 yards maybe , he was so close his head was the only thing that could fit in my cellphone camera shot
View attachment 283762View attachment 283763View attachment 283764View attachment 283765

a pic my son took out his back window of my truck View attachment 283766

All I was thinking was don’t freak out big boy and trash my rig cuz the people behind drove up on you
Great pictures! I had a similar encounter in South Dakota a few years ago but did not get any pictures. It pays to be quiet while stopped on HIS bridge. Glad that he didn't trash your rig.

NEW Sitka Ambient 75

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sept7872
Back