Spot and Stalk Practice for a Beginner - What's the etiquette?

If it was me Id watch some you tube vids look at Randys and others and just get the tag and go you neve know if lady luck is with you and you will learn better by doing
just my 2 cents, relax and have some fun

I bought a new bugle last spring with 3 three different reeds. When I try to use the old bull reed, sometimes I break a note that makes the horses run away, the dogs whine and even the ravens fly away. The wife says: "Somehow I just don't think so!" I sound best with the spike reed which is a bit higher pitched. I think the higher pitched reed carries farther anyway.

Last year I drew a tag in a unit that no one had ever hunted before. There were only 10 tags given out for one hunt for 5 days in the middle of October. I had scouted during August and put up some trail cams over water so I knew where the elk were. The archery season for deer was open during September and there were MANY bowhunters out there...the elk went completely nocturnal during the rut. I never heard a bugle at all and I was out there about 4 times during the last half of September. The deer hunters set up blinds right on the water tanks and every wallow. Most of the elk were blown out of the valley and went to private land during the rut. I say leave the bowhunters alone to hunt their elk.....
That sucks, but why shouldn’t those hunters have been able to hunt deer? It’s public land, with an open deer season. Should people not be able to hunt ruffed or blue grouse because there’s an open elk season? Should fall bear hunters not be allowed to hunt during September?

That sucks, but why shouldn’t those hunters have been able to hunt deer? It’s public land, with an open deer season. Should people not be able to hunt ruffed or blue grouse because there’s an open elk season? Should fall bear hunters not be allowed to hunt during September?
How in the world did you come with that? The topic in this thread is about going out to practice calling elk during the rut when the person has no elk tag for the unit....most elk units have an archery season for elk during the rut. My example was about how increased pressure from human activity, in this case hunters, can blow elk herds out of an area. As it was I had an archery bear tag and was hunting a particular boar during that time, in that unit as well.

How in the world did you come with that? The topic in this thread is about going out to practice calling elk during the rut when the person has no elk tag for the unit....most elk units have an archery season for elk during the rut. My example was about how increased pressure from human activity, in this case hunters, can blow elk herds out of an area. As it was I had an archery bear tag and was hunting a particular boar during that time, in that unit as well.
I misunderstood your post then, I thought you meant the deer hunters in your unit should have left it to the elk hunters.

To the O.P. I applied for 15 years to get an archery elk tag in the Black Hills of South Dakota, on September 1st I saw a suspicious amount of people looking for elk. Over the month of September I passed on a couple cows, spikes and rag horns. Muffed a shot on a 5 point, and totally screwed the pooch on stalk for a monster. The point in trying to make is even though I had a significant amount of time and money invested I knew those elk weren’t mine, and anyone that wanted to see them could go and do so. I look, call and stalk elk whenever I want. Full disclosure I can call elk like a champ...until I have a tag in my pocket, then I go to hell. All those failures were my fault, not the loony loos.

Buy a small game tag, elk tag, bear tag, Sasquatch tag, go to the woods look for elk and tell any entitled asshole to go fu<k themselves if they hump your leg (which is unlikely because it’s not the Internet).

People don’t own elk, as much as someone from Montana, Wyoming, Colorado, New Mexico or Idaho wants to think.

It’s cool that you want to learn, rather than build points, get a tag and have everyone chastise you for not having a plan.
Go look for elk.

While I think it is silly to practice elk hunting, I wouldn't worry about it. I scout for rifle season during archery all the time. I also cut firewood during archery season. I have a place I can shoot out to 1000 yards, and I blast away up there all the time during archery season. mtmuley

There were bear hunters with hounds in the area we were elk hunting last Sept. Its public land, just have to look for a different spot and keep hunting.
I have been practicing elk hunting for a few years now. But I always have a tag in my pocket when I do it.

Not sure, but if the right (or wrong warden) observed you stalking, calling, etc. without a tag, it could be considered harassing wildlife which is illegal.

Not sure, but if the right (or wrong warden) observed you stalking, calling, etc. without a tag, it could be considered harassing wildlife which is illegal.
Would photography be illegal then?

You might be able to find someone who has a tag that might allow you to tag along. You can offer to help packing in and out, expenses, camp chores or some other way to lend a hand in exchange for the learning experience.

How's that any different than a hunter doing it and then not shooting? Happens all the time and I've yet to hear of a ticket. Having a tag in one's pocket would change the fact you are "harassing wildlife" by the actions you describe.

You might be able to find someone who has a tag that might allow you to tag along. You can offer to help packing in and out, expenses, camp chores or some other way to lend a hand in exchange for the learning experience.
This is your best advice on this thread.

This is your best advice on this thread.
This is some good advice. For several years my brother and a friend would alternate who would have a tag in our camp. I don’t know if it was necessarily intentional to do it that way, but the pull to be in the elk woods was strong enough each year that they would find a way to get to camp even if they didn’t draw or couldn’t afford a tag. Looking back, sometimes it was a lot more fun without the pressure of a $1000 piece of paper making you think you had to kill something for the experience to be worth it.

Seeing that most years the lethality of our camp was barely borderline harassment of the elk we were trying to kill I am not sure there was a lot of difference between those of us carrying a tag and a bow and the guy with a backpack and a camera. I do know being in the woods is what made memories, so do whatever it takes (legally) to get you there.

It don't think its illegal. However if your not hunting i wouldnt be out and about calling. 1st reason there are less ethical people out there who will shoot at a sound or slight movement. Its horrible to think but happens pretty often. 2nd reason is to avoid getting into a fight. i experienced several times out last year where this one guy would drive the roads and call elk. He had no hunt, and isnt illegal. But he ruined our stalks several times, i was helping my nephew. So i was furious, but definitely not illegal. Now i understand its a part of public hunting and it was a teachable moment. But i did see some other guys go tell him something as same thing happened to them, boy they looked furious. So i would say to avoid any issues with hunter and to be safe. Dont run through the mountains making animal sounds if your not hunting. I know of 2 people being shot and killed in nm mistaken for animals. Some people unfortunately see movement hear sound and just assume its what they are after and shoot.

Would photography be illegal then?
That is a very good question. It’s possible. I mean, photography isn’t illegal, but Harassment is harassment regardless of what you are carrying. It kind of depends on the action. You want the judge to decided?

That is a very good question. It’s possible. I mean, photography isn’t illegal, but Harassment is harassment regardless of what you are carrying. It kind of depends on the action. You want the judge to decided?
It was satire. Claims this is harrassment of wildlife are ridiculous.

The intent to harass wildlife or interfere with a hunt is what makes an action illegal. In Wyoming: “ No person shall with the intent to prevent or hinder the lawful taking of any wildlife: (i) Interfere with the lawful taking of or the process of lawfully taking any wildlife; (ii) Engage in any activity intended to threaten or otherwise affect the behavior of any wildlife.”

Accidentally bumping animals when you’re scouting, taking photographs, etc is no different than any hiker spooking an animal. There’s nothing for the judge to decide.

It was satire. Claims this is harrassment of wildlife are ridiculous.
Satire or not, photographers have considered the possibility. Google "Photographer wildlife harassment". So it is ok to take pictures of animals with a drone? Again, maybe it is the consequence of the action and not the intent.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back