Caribou Gear

Spot and Stalk Practice for a Beginner - What's the etiquette?

llw

I want to try to hunt elk, but never have. It seems to me step #1 should be learning how to find elk. It also seems to me that I would be wasting significant amounts of money buying elk tags before I demonstrate any ability to find an elk.

So I'd like to do some backpacking to spot and stalk elk before I start applying for tags. It seems like I should do so around the time of the rut when you can hear bugles, practice calling, etc., but that of course will be in season.

My questions for the forum are (i) are there any legal restrictions or prohibitions on hiking around elk country during the season without an elk tag if you're unarmed and (ii) is it a breach of etiquette to hike into elk country and try to find and call elk when I'm not hunting?

I appreciate any tips and thanks in advance.

I would say that hiking and walking around is one thing and calling without a tag would be a no no.
+1
g.png

g.png

Check with a local game warden, it it isn't against the law go for it. As much as hunters may not like it, we do not own the woods during the rut. If legal see if you can call an elk in and get a great photo. I would say just don't intentionally interfere with a hunter who is working an elk.

You wouldn’t be breaking any laws but on the etiquette side I wouldn’t do it. Just apply the same rules to anything else you do in life. Just switch shoes, would you want someone out in the woods harassing elk that you are trying to hunt? Id recommend just to get a tag and go for it.

Go be a "silent" observer during the time frame you want to hunt, then get the tag the following year.....It would be the same as having a second year's experience and up your chances of getting your animal....

I want to try to hunt elk, but never have. It seems to me step #1 should be learning how to find elk. It also seems to me that I would be wasting significant amounts of money buying elk tags before I demonstrate any ability to find an elk.

So I'd like to do some backpacking to spot and stalk elk before I start applying for tags. It seems like I should do so around the time of the rut when you can hear bugles, practice calling, etc., but that of course will be in season.

My questions for the forum are (i) are there any legal restrictions or prohibitions on hiking around elk country during the season without an elk tag if you're unarmed and (ii) is it a breach of etiquette to hike into elk country and try to find and call elk when I'm not hunting?

I appreciate any tips and thanks in advance.

(i) No
(ii) yes

A third thing to consider is you are adding pressure to elk. Occasionally if a couple of people are practicing on elk it's not a problem, but if lots of people start doing it you will see negative effects on the herd. Essentially you are disrupting the rut and this has been shown to stress elk and decrease recruitment. There have been numerous article on the necessity of 1. reducing human elk interaction when on winter range (google vail/eagle elk herd) and 2. On harassing herds too much during archery season, this was one reason given for the San Juan units in Colorado going fully limited for archery (though not the only reason)

Appreciate everyone's thoughts. It seems there are differing opinions, but I'll probably limit any tagless scouting trips to hiking and glassing and look for a tag that won't break the bank before I do anything more than that. I'm sure I could go pet an elk in Yellowstone or RMNP (I wouldn't actually pet a wild animal) where they've lost all fear of humans, but that doesn't seem like relevant practice for hunting.

Appreciate everyone's thoughts. It seems there are differing opinions, but I'll probably limit any tagless scouting trips to hiking and glassing and look for a tag that won't break the bank before I do anything more than that. I'm sure I could go pet an elk in Yellowstone or RMNP (I wouldn't actually pet a wild animal) where they've lost all fear of humans, but that doesn't seem like relevant practice for hunting.
You could pick up a leftover Wyoming reduced price cow tag for $288 and have a great experience and a real chance at an elk.

Go to Yellowstone or other areas where elk exist and no hunting allowed.

Actually you don't really want to do that either. There is a area in NC where you can view Elk (Cataloochee) but they strictly forbid Calling Elk and have signs throughout the park stating so. I suspect the same applies at a place like Yellowstone. Hunting is a process and often a learning process. Calling is only one element of Elk hunting. Many hunters don't even rely on calling and do OK.
Jump in the water and get your feet wet. Buy the tag and go! Practice your calling on your back porch. Learn Elk habits, Read all you can and apply a lot of common sense. Make it more about the hunting than about the getting and you'll almost never be disappointed.

While there is something to wildlife harassment in most, if not all states, I don't see a problem if you were, for instance, stalking to take photos for your own entertainment. Can't imagine you getting hassled for that. I'm not sure that responses to elk calling can be expected given the seasonality of calling behavior, but maybe they will go for it.

I forgot to add, call the local wildlife ranger and get his or her opine. That's the one that counts the mostest.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bgeary
Back