Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Spot and Stalk Practice for a Beginner - What's the etiquette?

The intent to harass wildlife or interfere with a hunt is what makes an action illegal. In Wyoming: “ No person shall with the intent to prevent or hinder the lawful taking of any wildlife: (i) Interfere with the lawful taking of or the process of lawfully taking any wildlife; (ii) Engage in any activity intended to threaten or otherwise affect the behavior of any wildlife.”

Accidentally bumping animals when you’re scouting, taking photographs, etc is no different than any hiker spooking an animal. There’s nothing for the judge to decide.
That is hunter harassment and not wildlife harassment.

Satire or not, photographers have considered the possibility. Google "Photographer wildlife harassment". So it is ok to take pictures of animals with a drone? Again, maybe it is the consequence of the action and not the intent.
This has nothing to do with drones. Whole different ball of wax.

That is hunter harassment and not wildlife harassment.
That, dogs chasing or harassing wildlife, or harassing or pursuing wildlife with a vehicle or drone are actually the only statutes dealing with wildlife harassment in Wyoming. Not saying this is true in all states.

This has nothing to do with drones. Whole different ball of wax.
The OP asked 1) illegal to walk around looking for and calling to elk? and 2) is it unethical to do the same. So the same question can be asked of drones or wildlife harassment - is it illegal, is it unethical. If there is nothing written in statute, then it is up to the individual. All states have laws on on wildlife harassment, so it depends on where you do it. And ethics are up to the individual.

The OP asked 1) illegal to walk around looking for and calling to elk? and 2) is it unethical to do the same. So the same question can be asked of drones or wildlife harassment - is it illegal, is it unethical. If there is nothing written in statute, then it is up to the individual. All states have laws on on wildlife harassment, so it depends on where you do it. And ethics are up to the individual.
If you think parallels exist, great. Drones and what the OP asked about are entirely different.

In many cases, drones have their own specific statutes dealing with wildlife.

That is a very good question. It’s possible. I mean, photography isn’t illegal, but Harassment is harassment regardless of what you are carrying. It kind of depends on the action. You want the judge to decided?
Yellowstone... just like the entire park during the summer have harassment charges ever been filed?

Harassment typically is defined as persistent + repeated worrying. Passive photography isn’t harassment, calling a bull in taking a pic and then letting the bull run off isn’t harassment. Pursuing a herd and repeatedly bumping them is harassment. Since calling requires the animal to come to you I’m not sure if it can ever be considered harassment.

Only etiquette is basic hunter safety thing. Know your target and what is behind it before you shoot really. It is also your responsibility to know your range and where you are at. Landowners are very unforgiving if you shoot across boundaries. It is also a presumption if you are armed that you are hunting. If you carry for your own protection just carry a sidearm or bear spray if you are in bear country. I would also avoid approaching other hunters in their stalks unless then approach you. Nothing pisses me off more than someone coming into my setup while I am watching a nice bull.

If not concerned about only being in the rut you could just plan a summer scouting trip for a place as if you had a tag. Go and locate elk, sign, and find out how in shape you really are for elk country.

Yellowstone... just like the entire park during the summer have harassment charges ever been filed?

Harassment typically is defined as persistent + repeated worrying. Passive photography isn’t harassment, calling a bull in taking a pic and then letting the bull run off isn’t harassment. Pursuing a herd and repeatedly bumping them is harassment. Since calling requires the animal to come to you I’m not sure if it can ever be considered harassment.
Yes. https://apnews.com/1f3dc7e07b884f4f...ets-jail-time-for-harassing-Yellowstone-bison

A most laws are written with vague definitions, probably to keep lawyers employed.

I guess my opinion is the OP has a legal right to be in woods on a walk or taking pictures, but if he starts calling or chasing elk calls in the middle of hunting season, you will have to endure the criticism that comes from people with legal tags. and I can almost guarantee that you will attract attention if you are bugling.

To the OP. Maybe we should get together at camp. I will send you in the opposite direction I intend to hunt and you can bugle the other hunters towards where you are.😁

If it’s pre-planned, does it constitute conspiracy as well as harassment?

Does Vikings Guy do pro bono work for cases like this????

I’ve never been charged with harassment for bugling in other hunters. Although I felt harassed when a hunter shot a bull we were working. 😁

I’ve never been charged with harassment for bugling in other hunters. Although I felt harassed when a hunter shot a bull we were working. 😁

I was turkey hunting last year and was working several jakes. Their gobbling attracted the attention of a couple other hunters who had stopped on the road and had to have seen my parked truck. They were unable to control themselves and had to compete with me. Unfortunately for them, they set up a couple hundred yards behind me. Someone had turkey dinner that day but it wasn’t them.😏

I dont shoot jakes but I like to educate them. Called in two yesterday to 20 feet knowing full well there was another hunter somewhere nearby. Truth is I didnt know they were jakes until they were in my lap. Had to be hasty about it...not too psyched about someone coming in behind me.
Wrong or right I would do it again.

I shot one and educated the five others. Maybe that’s why the two gobblers I worked there a couple weeks ago ran away from my calls this year.
Ha..its possible. I like difficult toms. More than likely they had hens. I've been chasing a couple of gobblers in the last ten days that gobble but run. Standard M.O.
Nothing but fun...and a few cuss words.

Back