Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Sonora, MX

BUD

Good morning everyone. I am new to the board as a poster, but I have been reading your stories for a couple of years now. Oak & Ovis, those sheep hunting stories were incredible!

Anyway, my Dad and I are heading to Sonora, MX in late January to hunt mule deer. Anyone have any experience down there? My father has hunted CO and NV for as long as I can remember, and I have gone with him several times (mostly a whitetail hunter myself). Expecting different terrain in Mexico though. Any suggestions appreciated.

I had some friends go down a few years ago. Most of the hunting was spot and stalk although they never connected on the spot and stalk hunts. They both killed bucks 32+. They rode in the back of trucks on platforms to spot the bucks. The deer they shot were from the truck and bedded down near the roads. They said it was an awesome hunt but a little on the $$ side. Good luck!!

Thanks smith. The type of hunt your friends had sounds alot like what the guide has described. We have six days to hunt and will probably spend the first couple in the hills, then resort to the high rack if necessary. Just seems to me that if 30+ can be gotten that way, you know the big papa is up high. Don't get me wrong, I won't be passing on a 30+ deer, but it would be crazy to go that far and not walk the hills. I hope to have a great story for the boards come the end of January.

Good luck and be sure to post the results of your hunt. I'd like to get down there some day....

Well, we had an excellant time in Mexico. Drove 12.5 hrs from Leakey, TX to Green Valley, Az to met our outfitter. After taking 2-3 hrs to get through the Mexican militairy base and checking in our guns, we drove 150 miles into the Sonoran desert. The ranch we hunted was 138,000 acres, all low fence. We saw around 70 bucks in a 5 day period. I realize some were seen more than once but the vast majority had distinguishing characteristics. My dad was unable to find the 200 class deer he was looking for so he wound up giving up his tag to my younger brother who had never killed a mule deer.

After 5 long days of hunting in some of the thorniest country I have ever seen, I finally found what I was looking for.

Whe had a great experience and where treated exceptionaly well by our guides, and the outfitter.

Attachments

• troy buck group.jpg
    troy buck group.jpg
    500.5 KB · Views: 426
  • troy buck2.jpg
    troy buck2.jpg
    506.8 KB · Views: 423
  • troy buck.jpg
    troy buck.jpg
    683.6 KB · Views: 397
Thanks for the comments. Sorry for the size on the pictures. Being a rook I am not sure how to reduce them. And I have along way to go before I even come close to Oak and Ovis on story telling. I forgot to mention measurements. He was 27 1/8 wide. The back tine that does not fork is 16 5/8 inches. Gross score 183 3/8.

Nice Buck BUD.....you three look like a some happy hunters! What did your brother end up shootin'....got any pics of his buck? Congrats on a great hunt.

Here is the buck my brother killed. A very nice buck, especially since it is only the second mule deer he has taken. When judging the size of the deer, keep in mind that my "little" brother is 6'4" and weighs around 290lbs.

The outfitter we used was out of Hermisillo, Mex. called Desert Trophies. Not to be confused with another outfitter in the same area called Desert Trophy Outfitters. Desert Trophies has an office in Nogalez, AZ and will send a driver to meet you and walk you through the process of going through Mexican customs with your guns. They take care of all the paperwork as well. We had one/one guide and driver and two cooks who provided 3 big meals everyday. Stayed in a nice ranch house. Very well done.

Attachments

• johnbuck2.jpg
    johnbuck2.jpg
    589.5 KB · Views: 236
congrats Bud and family on the hunt and memories made.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back