Solo elk?

Summitthunting

So my hunting season may have ended before it even started. My dad fell off a ladder at work four weeks ago and fractured his skull in two places. He is doing ok after spending a week in the ICU, but has permanent hearing loss in his left ear and balance problems. He's damn lucky to be alive and even luckier that the brain injury is mild. Needless to say he's out for the season.
We put in as a group and drew muzzleloader antelope near Trinidad, CO and 4th season either sex elk for 3/301 near Craig, CO. I don't like the idea of big game hunting alone but it may be my only option. How many of you go it alone? Anybody use a SPOT sat. messenger?

Thanks,
Chris

I do most of my hunting solo. I didn't like it at first, but now I hate having to hunt with someone else.

Elk are a bit of a chore. As you can probably guess, if you don't have a partner, you better have some time when you get one on the ground.

And I DO carry a SPOT...helps both me and my loved ones sleep better at night.

Sorry to hear about your dad, glad he's ok.

My first 'solo' elk hunt was when I was 16, it was also my first archery kill, 4 miles from the trail head in a wilderness area. I've spent many, many days/nights alone in the wilderness, and will continue to do so if that's my only option.

I've done some stupid things in my life, but hunting by myself doesn't rank in the top 10. Just last year I trekked almost 8 miles from the landing strip to kill a sheep, spent the night on the mountain and made it back the following day. My partner was not happy with my decision, but understood that I did what I had to do. Things can happen when you're alone, but to be realistic the odds of them happening are just as great with a partner as they are when you're alone.

I've done many solo hunts in the past and will do many in the future. Being "alone" is the hardest part. Getting hurt is really not something I worry about. However I don't take any unnecessary risks when I'm alone. If its steep, I'll go around or not go. Crossing creeks in questionable spots is not an option... etc.

Go for it alone... I guarantee it will be one of the most rewarding experiences you'll ever have if you can tough out the 'alone' part.

I have a SPOT and usually get a sat phone. They give you piece of mind if anything, but would not trust my life to them. SPOT is quesionable in a lot of areas up here, and sat phones are spotty at times. If I had to chose one, it would be the phone, they usually work. I've had quite a few times where SPOT blanks out.

Good luck

Last edited:
You can rent Sat phones for about $9/day from verizon. I think this would be a great option for you, I have heard mixed feelings on the SPOT as well. I am planning on a backpack trip for archery elk in Colorado next year whether or not my friends decide to go is leaning more to the no side. So I will likely be in your shoes come next fall. Sat phone seems to be the best choice and not too expensive.

I do most of my hunting by myself. I dont have cell service where I hunt and I have never carried a SPOT. I have shot deer, bear, elk and last year I shot and packed our a moose alone. I will probably pay a big price by going solo one of these days but for me, it how I choose to hunt.

You do need more time to pack out because it does take lots of time.

Being "alone" is the hardest part. Getting hurt is really not something I worry about. However I don't take any unnecessary risks when I'm alone.
IME/O, there's a whole lot of truth to that! Though it was a relatively tame pronghorn hunt, my trip to WY made this part all too clear. During the day hunting and even the drive wasn't bad, but it was a bit different not sharing camp with someone. I'd go it alone before I'd toss away a tag...

Glad to hear your dad is doing ok, I have gone to hunting solo, since my wife changed shifts. It was different at first, but getting used to it. Like Bambistew said...I don't take unnecessary risks alone. I don't have cell service where I hunt, or have a SPOT. My wife knows where we hunt, so she knows where to start looking if I am late getting home. Good luck 4th season!

IME/O, there's a whole lot of truth to that! Though it was a relatively tame pronghorn hunt, my trip to WY made this part all too clear. During the day hunting and even the drive wasn't bad, but it was a bit different not sharing camp with someone. I'd go it alone before I'd toss away a tag...

Same...
Just spent a few days in MT by myself. Definatley have had better times. First morning slid down a steep hill, put a whole in my palm, hit the back of my ribs, knocked the wind out of me. I am in very good shape and this hurt bad. Tylenol diet for a few days. Makes you realize no matter how careful you are- chit happens! I would have been screwed big time if I was hurt worse, and camp wasn't the same as having the usual partners.

Sorry to hear about your dad. My dad fell a few years ago and had a hard time recovering, he picked up a staph infection in the hospital and has some memory loss still. I hope your dad has a speedy recovery. As for hunting solo, the camp part would be the worst for me. It is a lot more fun to have someone to share your hunt with. Maybe you could get a friend just to tag along. I would go solo though, if I had to. My son and I are going to be hunting in Colorado 1st rifle elk season. My son's father-in-law is going along just for the experience, he is not hunting. Good luck on your hunts.

I've done many solo hunts in the past and will do many in the future. Being "alone" is the hardest part. Getting hurt is really not something I worry about. However I don't take any unnecessary risks when I'm alone. If its steep, I'll go around or not go. Crossing creeks in questionable spots is not an option... etc.

I hunt by myself probably 80% of the time. If I waited for someone to want to go with me, I wouldn't get much hunting done! :D I was by myself for 5 of the last 6 elk I've killed. I think Bambi summed it up pretty well above. The hardest part is the mental challenge of being alone, especially 4-5 days into a hunt.

Good luck. I hope your dad recovers well.

Same here. Seems like all my "hunting buddies" are getting lazier and lazier. We used to get up at 4 AM and head to the hills to we could be at our spots by sunlight....now it seems Im the only one who even gets up when we're at camp. It is different not having someone in camp but it is still fun. I somehow usually find a guy or two camped around me that are doing the same thing and we find each other throughout the day and tell stories so it's not too bad. I've been with somebody 2 times of the 7 elk I've killed (in my short 8 year hunting career). It's a whole lot more stealthy when there's just one person instead of 2 or 3 or 4. Less scent, less sound, less movement and you go where you wanna go and do what you wanna do. I would go for it.

Dang, sorry about your dad. Glad he's doing alright but sorry about the perm damage.

Agree with Bambi, Oak and others...lots of mental being out by yourself but other than that, you have the physical abilities to find, kill, butcher and pack one out. :D

One of my greatest accomplishments came from a muley buck I shot several years ago in eastern NV - backpacked into wilderness by myself and packed it out in one trip. That experience taught me a lot. Incredibly difficult but very rewarding. ;)

Sorry to hear about your dad, glad it wasn't worse, considering. I hunt with my dad a lot even though he is getting up there in age. Not looking forward to the day we won't be able to hunt together anymore.

With that said, I mainly hunt by myself (with a few exceptions). It is easier to hunt, less scent and movement, I hunt how and when I want to hunt and generally, I am more successful and on bigger trophies. I also like the solitude of hunting alone...getting away from the hustle and bustle of everyday life to recharge.

I used to hunt with other people quite often when I was younger, but found most people to be unreliable, they didn't hunt as hard as I did, and when we found good hunting locations, they wouldn't keep their mouths shut and told everyone or took everyone and their brothers there, thus ruining the location for future hunts for me. Therefore...solo hunting!

I don't carry a sat-phone or a SPOT. I make sure my dad and girlfriend always know the general area where I am going to be hunting and when I expect to return. I carry my cell phone, for pictures and sometimes I do have cell service on a mountain top, and I will call with updates. I did break an ankle one year while chasing elk, about 4 miles from the trailhead. That made for a long trip out, but I fashioned a crutch and took my time and made it. It sucked, but that is part of hunting solo. If I had a hunting partner with me, the outcome would have been similar, but 2 hunters days would have been ruined, LOL.

I really enjoy hunting with my dad and my kids (family in general), but I can hunt solo when they are unable to hunt due to schedule conflicts. When hunting with my family, our expectations are different, not as high, as that is not the main reason we are hunting together. We are hunting together, sharing the hunt, our successes, and making memories.

IMO, make sure your dad is in good health prior to your trip, and then GO FOR IT! Good luck and keep us posted.

The majority of my hunts are solo. Like Oak said, if I depended on someone else I would've spent a fraction of the time chasing animals. Almost all of my biggest animals were killed solo. It can suck, but it's hard to find a good hunting partner - unless you like driving around in a truck all day. I don't know your hunting experience but as long as you are careful and know how to keep yourself alive should you get lost or hurt you'll be ok. Oh, and just in case you hadn't guessed yet, packing a bull out solo sucks, so prepare yourself for that. Good luck. My prayers are with your dad.

I'm going to CO for solo 3rd season elk this year. Going to try it out of a pack. Hell I'm not even a camper, but I'm going.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Caleb_u
Back