Solo elk?

Thanks for all the words of wisdom and prayers for my dad. A friend of mine is going to join me on the antelope hunt, but the elk hunt will probably be solo. I think I'm going to get a SPOT and give it hell. Thanks again everyone.

go for it,,,i just got done with a 3 week,bow,muzzleloader,and rifle hunt solo,,,it can work,just be careful,,,comraderie at camp is the main thing i missed but the freedom of going where you want,when you want is nice,,,take your time once your critter is down and youll be ok.73" antelope for the wall for 2011.

Planning on going solo in CO in a couple weeks. Couldn't get any of my buddies to come along this year. It will be different but I am kind of looking forward to doing everything my way and on my time. I just plan on being careful and not taking any unnecessary risks. Statistically your probably in more danger driving to work everyday than hunting in the wilderness.

Most of what THWAK 1 says is BS (just kiddin' ya'), but I gotta agree with him on this. Hunting solo for a lot of us is easier, because not a lot of other people are as obsessed, driven and willing to go out early and come home REALLY late, when participating in this sport like we are. Everytime I take someone who's not family it ends unsuccessful, early and with me being just dissappointed and my ears hurting from all the bitching. I do believe strongly that it is a family sport and I'm sorry to hear about your father, but he's going to love the stories and photos/video that you bring back for him to enjoy. That said, don't be shy about experiencing the wilderness this time of year. I always bring my Spot and send messages two or sometimes three times a day to family to let them know I'm ok. The Spot 2 allows for a custom message to be entered which is always 'BROWN IS DOWN' to let those in the family know I need help with my trophy and where I'm at. Anyway, hunting solo can be an amazing experience and you'll see things some will never get to experience. Go for it buddy and don't worry. As long as you have the right gear and navigation equipment you'll be safe!

I too do most of my hunting alone...and enjoy it. I have had times when I have felt more alone with others around.
Pay close attention to your gut feelings and you'll be safe. Oh, and bring a pistol if possible, that always helps me sleep at night.

Been hunting solo for years and love it. It's awesome to share hunting with a friend, but I love the highcountry solitude when going it alone. It's a mental game, and if you can overcome your own fears, it's game on after that! Good luck!

Dirk

I too do most of my hunting solo. So far this year, I've 14 days of solo hunting. If you're day hunting out of a vehicle it's easy mentally IMO.

If you're packing in a ways, that's where it's tough for me. It's the time in camp where I get lonely. I find a warm beverage, a nap, and maybe a friendly little fire fends off the longing for people. I also like an Ipod along with a cell/sat phone.

I've been hunting with my little buddies this year. Their never ending smile keeps me going in the tough times. Untill I have to eat them, then I am sad.

P1030982.jpg

P1040048.jpg

P1040039.jpg

P1040037.jpg

P1030996.jpg

P1040065.jpg

P1040162.jpg

P1040158.jpg

Your little friends seem nice.

Any chance we could get you to share a few of those photos not quite so closely zoomed in?

I've been hunting with my little buddies this year. Their never ending smile keeps me going in the tough times. Untill I have to eat them, then I am sad.

D'aww that's adorable.

Last edited:
I question the thrird to last. It looks as though you are bringing that critter home. Maybe an old photo.... Either way this is a little Dahmer like, kinda mest up.

Hell I'd question all of them.

I went to Walmart today and could not restock on Great Value fruit snacks. 2nd season Colorado elk may have to be cancelled. I'm not messing around here.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Caleb_u
Back