Caribou Gear

Small 4x4 truck with best fuel economy?

I would definitely have no qualms about pulling a john boat or something similar with my Forester, wouldn't want to try it with Noah's ark or anything. Fuel economy is definitely better than the smaller trucks. My experience tends to be that most people that "have to have a truck" because of all the towing they do are just blowing smoke. Same people that say an electric car could never fit their lifestyle because apparently the take cross-country trips every other week in their car.

If anyone wrecks into my truck I'm tempted to go with an Outback or Ascent.
I got the Outback when my Ford Ranger got totaled.....just to try it for a year. The room inside with the back seats down compare favorably with the room in my Ranger bed. Nearing 100,000 miles it has yet to be in the shop for repairs except for a minor recall or two.

I would definitely have no qualms about pulling a john boat or something similar with my Forester, wouldn't want to try it with Noah's ark or anything. Fuel economy is definitely better than the smaller trucks. My experience tends to be that most people that "have to have a truck" because of all the towing they do are just blowing smoke. Same people that say an electric car could never fit their lifestyle because apparently the take cross-country trips every other week in their car.
Most of the trucks I see have empty beds and no trailers.

I think it's more of a compensator than a tool for most guys.

The reality is most pickups never haul more than a few things from home depot.

But many men would be terrified to drive a subaru, an indication of being really insecure about their manliness.

But many men would be terrified to drive a subaru, an indication of being really insecure about their manliness.
You've never had to haul and plant a grand worth of spring flowers every damn early spring...and it shows. ;)

My white trash version of a drift boat, AKA the USS Lockwood, takes offense at your comment.

View attachment 228048
You know it's a hell of a lot easier to put a canoe on a corolla... and you can do it solo.

Every time I go duck hunting with someone who "has to have a truck" I somehow end up driving with their boat....🤨

1656538288665.png

It was way easier to transport my 14ft kayak when I had a Ford Focus hatchback. Don't think I could haul much firewood with it though.

Also should have clarified, I really do need a truck bed. I can tow anything with my diesel, but this little truck idea is to haul ice fishing shack, sleds, augers, fish, in winter and some small farm stuff in spring/fall like water tanks, sprayer, roundup and dead deer. I'm just too sloppy to do an SUV type vehicle with carpeted interior. So ya, like I said, a truck :)

Yeah I understand that there are people who really do need a hauling rig, I work for a couple of them. But most of the truck owners I know could easily get by with an SUV but they just "have" to have a truck.

More power to them, go buy what you want. But its pretty funny to hear the justifications.

I mean I had a Civic in college and needed to move some firewood. Pulled the front passenger seat out and loaded that sucker full. It was a 5 speed and I didn't pay close enough attention and didn't have 5th or reverse on the way home.

I put 400 bd ft of red oak lumber in my Camry once. Also had plenty of fishing rods and deer in that trunk.

But I guess some people have to have the "look".

Want to talk about poor gas mileage... Exhibit A) Toyota Tundra. But slap me if they didn't gain value the last two years somehow...

Everything “gained value” last two years. Our 4 year old 1 ton diesel is worth more than we paid for it new

As mentioned above....smaller trucks in gas will not gain you any mpg and will be much less useful and comfortable. I had a double cab Taco 6 sp manual V6 SR5 4x4 and currently have a 2020 F150 extra cab long bed Coyote V8. Around town mileage is basically identical and highway 70 and under the 150 get 2 mpg better. If you don't need a small truck for the nimbleness, a 1/2 just make sense. BTW, CPO had the ecoboost and got 2-3 better highway than my Coyote.

For midsize trucks the GM twins with the diesel get the best mileage. The ford ranger gets the best mileage with gas engines. The ford maverick and hyundai santa cruz are AWD and not 4wd and the beds are only like 4.5 feet but if you can live with that they both get great mileage. I personally would look at a f150 powerboost with the 2.7 ecoboost. Full size truck with 4wd and the mpg is a little better than the gas midsize trucks. The midsize GM twins will be new this fall with a new powertrain so that might be worth waiting for. Rumor has it the tacoma will be available with a hybrid for its redesign coming in 2024.

Last edited:
Back