Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Shouldn’t have ran by the gun shop...

I have two, .260s. My go-to is the Hornady 129 Il, at 2950 fps. I had them over 3000, but my second rifle thinks they were a bit hot. I have shot a lot of deer and some antelope with those rifles, out to 430 yards. They also shoot the 147 well, but it is a real load cruncher. I shoot the heavies in my Creeds and leave the .260s for the 130-class of bullets, for the most part. They are plenty good for deer.

I killed a pile of animals (deer, elk, antelope, bears) with my .260ai. The load I ended up with was H4831sc with the 139-140 class bullets...magazine length issues led me elsewhere but I had more blood on that rifle than any other of mine to date.

I have a 260 in rem model 7 with 18inch barrel wide view scope and the stock is cut down to 10.5 in LOP its the hand it out pass it around to friends kids gun. Its been a lucky deer killer. Loaded it with 100 grn nosler partitions at about 2400 fps

get you some federal premium ammo loaded with 120 bt's clipping along at an advertised 2,950 fps mv. both my 260 rem's love that bullet................the deer not so much..ha!
Big Ed

What’s wrong with the 6.5 creed ? Shoots flat, relatively cheap ammo, accurate AF, readily available. I’m sure the .260 is just fine too but don’t listen to the cry baby bed wetters that don’t like the 6.5
Let's not insult the OP by calling his .260 a 6.5, he said he has no interest in a Creedmoor. :whistle:

Last edited:
Let's no insult the OP by calling his .260 a 6.5, he said he has no interest in a Creedmoor. :whistle:
And if you don't want a CM, you are a "crybaby bedwetter". That's how the 6.5 threads go to the toilet. Speaking of crybaby bedwetter, bet my unbraked RUM might make Vandelay pee a little if he fired it. mtmuley

Oh boy let's not take a good thing and ruin it now boys.......... Great score on the .260 its on my shortlist to add to the safe. My uncle has a couple and they are an awesome gun to shoot. I see lots of folks have recommended the 120s which is what we have also been loading for his as well. Have to share some pics when shes ready to roll.

I also have a 6.5CM no I'm not a flat brimmer, bruh, high-country LR assassin. Got a good deal from a buddy and it's also turned out to be a sweet little shooter. I have zero complaints, it handles the 140 and 143 eldx's well but struggled with the 120s. Its a great gun for backpack hunting at 6.8 lbs you bet your ass I'm taking that over my 10lb 7mag or 300s. However, my wife has laid claim to it.......... after she chewed my ass when I showed up with it.

The .260 I shoot loves the 129gr. bullets in the Hornady SST, Nosler ballistic tips, and the Accubond.

get you some federal premium ammo loaded with 120 bt's clipping along at an advertised 2,950 fps mv. both my 260 rem's love that bullet................the deer not so much..ha!
Big Ed
I've never been able to get such an interview with a deer I have shot. OP good pickup.

I should have included this in my original post, but now that I have the glass I wanted to check some opinions on stock options.

The 260 is a 700 SPS and will most likely find a new home in walnut. (I know there are plenty of advantages to synthetic, but it's hard to beat the look and feel of real wood) I have a Boyds on my 30-06 and a couple of others that came factory, just wanted to see if there are really any better options out there?

Thanks!
Josh

I have a Tikka 260 Rem. I'd suggest trying some of the Berger ammo with either the 130gr OTM or 136gr Scenar. Both shoot very well in my rifle. It's loaded with Lapua brass, so it's really not a bad way to get your brass as well. Taking a couple boxes to NM later this week...

Back