MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Shouldn’t have ran by the gun shop...

TN2shot07

So I made the mistake of stopping by the gun shop today at lunch... someone had traded in a Model 700 in 260 unfired. Just wanting to be contrary to the cool kids I had no interest in a Creedmoor but this one grabbed my attention as it’s something I haven’t shot before. It’s a bare rifle so a new scope/rings and probably stock are in order but was just curious if anyone has much experience with these on deer?

Thanks in advance for any insight!

I had a 260 built for me in 2014. It has done well on antelope, coues deer, mule deer and desert sheep. My rifle has a 1:9 barrel and likes 130 grain accubonds and H4350.

This one has a 1:8 twist, I’m hopeful it will also like accubonds as I’ve had very good results with them in my 30-06 and 7-08

Cooler than a creed. Do a search. Lots of info here on the 6.5. mtmuley

Cooler than a creed?? Blasphemy!

TN2shot07, I have used a 127 gr Barnes LRX and 147 gr Hornady ELD-Ms in the Creedmoor on deer-sized game. Both worked well so I am sure either would work fine in the 260. The 147s will likely be seated pretty deeply in the 260 case.

Cooler than a creed?? Blasphemy!

TN2shot07, I have used a 127 gr Barnes LRX and 147 gr Hornady ELD-Ms in the Creedmoor on deer-sized game. Both worked well so I am sure either would work fine in the 260. The 147s will likely be seated pretty deeply in the 260 case.
Figured I could save the op from the thread being spun out of control. The 6.5 stuff here gets stupid fast. mtmuley

What’s wrong with the 6.5 creed ? Shoots flat, relatively cheap ammo, accurate AF, readily available. I’m sure the .260 is just fine too but don’t listen to the cry baby bed wetters that don’t like the 6.5

H414 and RL19 shoot very well in mine. 100gr and 120 BTs flatten chit. Have had a 260 since 2000, great deer caliber. Mine has a 1:9, doesn't shoot heavies but never needed them. Probably killed 20ish deer with mine.

What’s wrong with the 6.5 creed ? Shoots flat, relatively cheap ammo, accurate AF, readily available. I’m sure the .260 is just fine too but don’t listen to the cry baby bed wetters that don’t like the 6.5

Nothing personal against the 6.5, just always liked to have something different than the guys I hunt with. When my dad took me to get my first rifle as a kid I picked out a 25-06 just because nobody I knew had one (still the case). I didn’t realize it would turn into a small collection of rifles in less common calibers though... Probably could’ve saved a bunch of money if I had just went with a 30-06 all those years ago, but what’s the fun in that 🤔

I’ve had a few .260s. A favorite was a Browning A bolt. It had a 10 twist and would shoot lights out with 120-130 bullets but wouldn’t shoot the longer 140s very well. Also had. 700 Light Varmint Stainless Fluted.
It was hammer. A buddy wanted it worse than me so when he finally offered me twice what I paid for it he got it. Only drawback to the 260 was ammo. If you didn’t reload there wasnt a lot and what was available was average at best. With better factory support there may have never been a Creedmoor. The Hornady guys recognized a good thing, fixed it’s flaws and the rest is history. My match rifle started out as a 308 and was going to be a 260. Switched to Creedmoor at last minute when I saw how good the factory Amax ammo was shooting out of my buddies rifles. There was no good match grade ammo for the 260 that wasn’t insanely expensive at the time.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back