Seeking Input

Which cartridges (up to 4) covers the options for people buying their primary hunting rifle?

• .338 Win

• .300 Win Mag

• .308 Win

• .30-06 Springfield

• 7mm Rem Mag

• 7mm-.08

• .270 Win

• 6.5 Creedmoor

• .243 Win

Results are only viewable after voting.

Big Fin

Administrator
Staff member
Many of you know that I have been working on some new ideas with HOWA. Last year we shot every possible combination of cartridge, barrel length/profile, stock, weather protection, you name it. The result we hope to come up with is a series of rifles that will allow the average hunter to select from a handful of options that we have tried and tested and know that they can buy that rifle and not look back with any regrets. If they hunt mostly deer and some elk, they can pick a rifle chambered in "cartridge X;" if it is mostly elk with some deer, we have a model chambered in "cartridge Y," and so on.

Consideration is given to ammo/rifle availability, past sales trends, production cost, versatility, etc.. We want to keep it to a few cartridge options, at the most, four options. I know what barrel length/profiles that match the intended use. The final product will all have HS Precision stocks, all Cerakoted, hopefully packaged with a scope combination that we know fits best, and priced at a level where the value is excellent.

I know many here own dozens of firearms, as do I. This is not a project designed for the person who is buying their 22nd firearm, though if their 22nd firearm was one of these rifles that would be great. This is mostly for the person buying their 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, or 5th firearm. Again, if they want it to be the 6th-106th firearm of their collection, better yet.

With that background, I'm seeking input here, as informal as this poll may be, that gives me some confirmation/rejection of where we are headed. We are at a crossroads where some of the important decisions need to be made from a production and distribution standpoint.

I want this project to have no more than four cartridge chambering options. I want the final four selections we settle on to cover the spectrum of hunting that is our audience as I've categorized below:

1) Only elk hunting
2) Mostly elk, some deer and antelope
3) Mostly deer, occasional elk
4) Only deer and antelope

The poll asks you to provide what cartridges you would pick if you were at this crossroads I am at. You can choose up to four options in the poll, but you can choose less than four.

Your participation in this poll is greatly appreciated and very helpful. Thanks in advance for your participation.

I'm a "Mostly elk, some deer..." and antelope / bear.

Favored round is the 30.06 . Not for a diehard ballistics point of view - rather, it's been my best all around cartridge since, God knows when and I've learned to be successful shooting such. If it works, don't fix it, type of guy.

I have a .270 though - I typically stick with my 30.06. It's a do all cartridge.

I'm in the market for a higher end rifle and will stick with my chambered 30.06.

A couple thoughts, not entirely complete, certainly a lot of grey area and overlap

1. 30-06 - A little more energy than the .308, but not the beating of the 300wm. Widely available ammo in all shapes and sizes. Not sexy though, a day in day out workhorse.
2. 7mm RM - Better option for lighter bullets 140-150, flattest shooter of the bunch (antelope), widely available ammo in all shapes and sizes
3. 7-08 - Modest recoil, wide ammo availability. Will kill everything from elk to antelope, but a touch more gentle for the smaller ungulates
4. 6.5CM - Great ballistics from 120s - 147s, ammo options are wide open now, modest recoil, can go up the ladder with premium bullets, while not crushing the smaller critters.

1) Only Elk- .300WM
2) Mostly Elk- 7mm mag
3)Mostly deer maybe Elk- 7mm-08
4)Only deer and goats-6.5 Creedmoor (hate it or love it, I can't imagine a manufacturer leaving it out these days)
Its very difficult to leave the others off the list but if limited to four cartridges I would go with two magnums and two short actions.

If I had only money for one rifle it would be the 7mm mag. Great flat shooting rifle with plenty of bullet options. But I love the 30-06 as it is a tried and true, very versatile gun and you can pretty much find ammo anywhere in the US for it in a pinch. And for recoil shy or smaller framed people, or just a lightweight gun build a 7mm-08 is fantastic. I wouldn't be afraid to shoot anything in the lower 48 with it within reasonable shooting distance. I would also take it over a .243 and a 6.5creed based on bullet weight and availability. And if I was going after bigger game at longer distances a 300 win mag would be my go to.

I chose 300Winnie, 7RemMag, 7mm-08 and 270. The first 2 for elk focused and the last 2 for more of a multipurpose approach. I didn't choose 6.5CM because I encounter just enough people that think they're long range hunters once own one to be scared for animals...that's my personal experience so don't hate on me for it.

If there could be only 1 then I'd say 7mmRemMag shooting 140-160 non-lead bullet.

1) Only elk hunting - 7mm Mag
2) Mostly elk, some deer and antelope - 7mm Mag
3) Mostly deer, occasional elk - 7mm-08
4) Only deer and antelope - 6.5 Creedmoor

1. Only elk: 300 Win Mag
2. Mostly elk: 30-06
3. Mostly deer, some elk: 7mm-08
4. All deer and antelope: 6.5 CM

You young fellows always exclude me and my 300 H & H. I am afraid when I leave this earth I will have been the last person that liked the 300 Magnum--oh well--playing the game presented to me, the 30-06-hands down. It is a proven cartridge on all game. Antelope and Coues grab a a light weight spitzer for reaching out there a ways, Mule Deer, maybe a 165 and Elk, the tried and true 180, and although you didn't ask, the 30-06 and a 220 bullet could also go brown bear hunting with you and there is still another plus. Every hook and bullet shop from Florida to Alaska will have several different 30-06 bullet weight options available to you,on their shelves.

However, even those in my own family does not agree

myself 30-06-for all 4 categories
my daughter 7mm Rem mag for all four categories
my granddaughter 7mm-08 for all four categories

each of us have harvested Elk, Deer, and Antelope with the caliber we have chosen above, without a problem and would think one should be fine even with the 270. The 338 seems like it might be more gun than one would need for only the three animals mentioned

I gave up shooting my .300 win mag as it was just too much recoil for me. I haven't ever dipped below 25-06. Everything in between those is damn near the same (in my mind, they kill pretty much all NA game and don't punch you in the shoulder doing it).

I own several but I currently use ;

1- elk only (moose , bear) .300
2-4 everything else .270 (now that I am older I use this because it is lighter than my .300)

Last edited:
Personally I've used my 7RM for deer, elk and antelope for almost 40 years. My son and wife have used the .270 for the same game animals with the same great results. My dad used a 30-06 all his life and it is versatile enough with different bullet weights for almost every need. Ammo for these calibers can be found virtually anywhere ammo is sold which is a plus.

1. 300
2. 300
3. 270/308
4. 270/243

I love my 270 and recently picked up a m70 300 wsm primarily for elk as I think it's the perfect cartridge(powerful/short actio. I would buy a howa in a heart beat if they made a short mag or two. I know it's not entirely common as far as ammo goes but it has gotten popular. Just sayin

1. 300 Win Mag (I would have said WSM if it was an option) - It pushes a big bullet fast.
2. 7mm Rem Mag - kind of a sweet spot in bullet weight range.
3. 7mm-08 - If I can carry a short action I will and has good bullets to shoot at elk.
4. 6.5 Creed (I almost said 243) - Shoots flat and and bucks wind.

A couple thoughts, not entirely complete, certainly a lot of grey area and overlap

1. 30-06 - A little more energy than the .308, but not the beating of the 300wm. Widely available ammo in all shapes and sizes. Not sexy though, a day in day out workhorse.
2. 7mm RM - Better option for lighter bullets 140-150, flattest shooter of the bunch (antelope), widely available ammo in all shapes and sizes
3. 7-08 - Modest recoil, wide ammo availability. Will kill everything from elk to antelope, but a touch more gentle for the smaller ungulates
4. 6.5CM - Great ballistics from 120s - 147s, ammo options are wide open now, modest recoil, can go up the ladder with premium bullets, while not crushing the smaller critters.

Well stated JR. These were my 4 choices also for pretty much the same reasons/logic. Although I personally don’t own any of them for a first or primary rifle for your average hunter they are all great choices.

1. 7mm Rem Mag
2. 7mm Rem Mag
3. 7mm Rem Mag
4. 7mm Rem Mag

Big budget/small budget - 7mm Rem Mag

Whitetails, mule deer, elk, pronghorn, bear, bighorn sherp, Texas, Louisiana, Montana, Nevada, Alaska, New Zealand, African plains game - 7mm Rem Mag.

Man, what a Sophie’s Choice. In my mind anything of them excluding .243 and 6.5 CM would be a valid choice across all categories. In my mind the options need to include both a LA and SA alternative.

I went .30-06 and 7mm RM as my two LA choices, but granted if I was forced to only shoot elk and was limited only one rifle I’d go .300 Win Mag.

For the SA, .308 all day and throw in the 6.5 Man-Bun, but with the caveat that I don’t think the man-bun is a do all adequately choice for elk. But anybody putting out a new SA rifle right now would have to include it just to satisfy the masses.

30-06 as I know it can knock anything down this side of the pond or your side, my .243 because I know it can knock down any deer my side of the pond!
Cheers
Richard

I could be limited to a 30-06 and a.243 for hunting everything in the lower 48 and not feel like I didn’t have enough gun. However given the current market, I would expect the 6.5 CM to sell better than the.243.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
believeinyourself
Back